RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
AARDVARK

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by AARDVARK »

Have to say it will be disappointing if one of the major themes of RIAT this year (USAF 75)doesn’t provide any flying activity and will be the first time in many years that no demo teams have participated, but if it isn’t meant to be then so be it, still a great show 👍

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Luke28 wrote:
Sat 28 May 2022, 6:28 pm
A-10 Demo team have done a Q&A on instagram, naturally the subject of RIAT has come up and they have confirmed that they won't be here this year.
Gutted!
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Hog

Post by Hog »

Always 2023 for the A-10, this year's show will still be fab just hoping for a B1 B52 flypast make up for no A10. I'm sure there will be something flying from USAF?

JMC

Post by JMC »

I’m crossing fingers for the F-35. B-52/B-1 flypast i’ve said to myself aren’t going to happen again (so i’m not disappointed when they don’t show).

15 years since a B-1 appeared in the flying :grimacing:

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

Considering a lot of countries now Have F35s (Including uk) you would like to think we might see one in the air.
With USAF pulling the RIAT one off their list i guess our best bet is a Marham jet.
That said the line up is still great imo.
Last edited by blackcat on Sun 29 May 2022, 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

We'll probably have a couple of flypasts from an RAF one i'd imagine.

Skylinerworld

Post by Skylinerworld »

Then in 5-10 years time we'll have about 5 F-35 displays. 😅
Search 'AirportsAroundTheWorld' on FB
Search 'airports_around_the_world' on Insta
http://blog.skylinerworld.co.uk/

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Luke28 wrote:
Sat 28 May 2022, 8:13 pm
The U-2's and KC-10's currently over here are heavily involved in Eastern Europe.
Be nice to see a U2 demo seeing as there is a couple based there, but obviously with whats going on it lessens the chance.

Failing that hopefully the Osprey has been in the display act that last couple of RIATs so that could be a possibility once again.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Skylinerworld wrote:
Sun 29 May 2022, 9:40 pm
Then in 5-10 years time we'll have about 5 F-35 displays. 😅
Didn't this happen one year with F-16's? I'm going to say 2011 (off the top of my head). Didn't bother me!

The F-35 is easily the loudest fighter i've heard. So if we were in future to get multiple solo teams (as long as they had different markings/schemes/tail art) then I wouldn't complain!

snicker01

Post by snicker01 »

Have to say that I would be shocked if the F35 heritage flight never made it being the 75th anniversary and all.

The US usually support RIAT extremely well and those dates are still free on their calendar (16th / 17th). However, interesting to see that the same display is down for Sanicole in September (roughly the same transit distance). Who exactly pays for transit of pilots, food accommodation? USAF or RIAT?

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

iirc operators pay for aircraft transiting costs & RIAT pick up the crew accomodation & catering costs
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

It looks like the F35 heritage flight might be down for farnborough airshow instead which is so close to RIAT. Weird

snicker01

Post by snicker01 »

Something smells fishy regarding US flying participation.

Either something political that we will never get to know about (something to do with the war in Ukraine) or we are due some bumper announcement that RIAT are keeping as a surprise announcement. Hoping for the latter! I would highly doubt its down to funds.

JMC

Post by JMC »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Mon 30 May 2022, 12:29 pm
It looks like the F35 heritage flight might be down for farnborough airshow instead which is so close to RIAT. Weird
I can't imagine this being likely with Farnborough being a trade show, what would be the purpose of the Heritage flight (aside from the Friday? When the public are there. I understand the F-35 demo as Lockheed will want to flog the jet. Also, the heritage flight from my understanding has never attended Farnborough so I don't suppose that'll change).

I also can't imagine the pilot being transitioned over and missing RIAT on the 75th anniversary of the US Air Force (of course that's even if they're coming to the UK).

Truth of the matter is, we just don't know and it's all speculation at the minute. If they confirm great, if they don't fingers crossed for more goodies to the already great line up.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

As the 18-22nd July date is pending don't take it for certain that it will happen. It possibly means USAFE still has to sign off on the budget.

Nor discount a Heritage Flight being performed at Farnborough. Lockheed Martin put their own together in 1994 (before USAF formed their own) linking their F-16 solo display with TFC's P-38 Lightning performing throughout the trade week. It's a way to make your display standout.

frank

Post by frank »

snicker01 wrote:
Mon 30 May 2022, 12:41 pm
Something smells fishy regarding US flying participation.

Either something political that we will never get to know about (something to do with the war in Ukraine) or we are due some bumper announcement that RIAT are keeping as a surprise announcement. Hoping for the latter! I would highly doubt its down to funds.
For a while now I too have been pessimistic about the possibility of any US flying participation. Normally RIAT would be publicising such participation to boost ticket sales well before now but it`s getting very close to the wire with only 45 days to go for any late announcement to come. The delay might simply be a case of waiting for the approvals to come through but for me that`s more and more unlikely as the weeks go past. I noted the following comment from the update on the 12th May which I think was a subtle hint that this would be the case.

"In addition, we continue to work with our friends in the United States Air Force and hope to be able to announce the participation of the modern USAF assets we're expecting to join the static displays soon... "

Is it due to the war in Ukraine .. possibly. Is it politics .. well Biden is no great admirer of Great Britain. Is it a case that they don`t officially mark the 75th Anniversary in the US ... and don`t want to do it over here. Who knows.

Interested in other peoples thoughts on the matter

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

Guess it could be a combination of things, it could just simply be that with large public events getting started again 'post pandemic' in the US too - the US demo teams/Air Force Command want to display to the US public as much as they can this year, rather than send aircraft/pilots/ground team etc over here... 🤔

I have a question for anyone who might know, with this Thursday being a Bank Holiday will the update this week still be on that day, or moved? Can't recall many Thursday Bank Holidays in the past so not sure if DBH would even be working that day... 🤷‍♂️

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Thursday is going ahead with staff giving up part of their bank holiday to get it online :-)

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Fair play!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Tommy wrote:
Mon 30 May 2022, 10:03 pm
Fair play!
Indeed, house points all round 👍🏼👏
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

verreli

Post by verreli »

frank wrote:
Mon 30 May 2022, 9:15 pm
Is it a case that they don`t officially mark the 75th Anniversary in the US ... and don`t want to do it over here.
None of the US shows seem to be marking the 75th anniversary including the big ones at Nellis and Edwards. They haven't painted any special schemes on aircraft which the US typically does to mark anniversaries. They may be making efforts to NOT mark the anniversary at RIAT due to the lack of significance in their homeland? I'd still be surprised to not see a single flying participant. The UK with three active bases is still a big presence for the USA and RIAT is more than a bog standard airshow.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Single Robinson R44 for Thursdays update and this site to go into meltdown :joy:

JMC

Post by JMC »

With regards to not celebrating the 75th anniversary, that might well be the case, but look back to 2012; C5, B2, KC-10, C-17, Ospreys/Mercury (I know Navy), B-52, 3 KC-135’s. They still supported the show really well, although there was none of the demo teams.

snicker01

Post by snicker01 »

JMC wrote:
Tue 31 May 2022, 7:46 am
With regards to not celebrating the 75th anniversary, that might well be the case, but look back to 2012; C5, B2, KC-10, C-17, Ospreys/Mercury (I know Navy), B-52, 3 KC-135’s. They still supported the show really well, although there was none of the demo teams.
Ironically the last time we had the Korean Black Eagles over!

snicker01

Post by snicker01 »

verreli wrote:
Tue 31 May 2022, 7:34 am
frank wrote:
Mon 30 May 2022, 9:15 pm
Is it a case that they don`t officially mark the 75th Anniversary in the US ... and don`t want to do it over here.
None of the US shows seem to be marking the 75th anniversary including the big ones at Nellis and Edwards. They haven't painted any special schemes on aircraft which the US typically does to mark anniversaries. They may be making efforts to NOT mark the anniversary at RIAT due to the lack of significance in their homeland? I'd still be surprised to not see a single flying participant. The UK with three active bases is still a big presence for the USA and RIAT is more than a bog standard airshow.
They are down for Sanicole in September (F35 demo) so they are still committed to sending assets abroad.