Duxford Summer Air Show - 18th & 19th June

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Re: Duxford Summer Air Show - 18th & 19th June

Post by Blackbird »

timuss wrote:
Wed 15 Jun 2022, 8:44 pm
I bought tickets way before the line up was announced silly me lesson to be learned there, still looking forward to it hoping for the best.
Me too - hoping for the best, fearing the worst, and now the weather's looking iffy too.

Andy

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

To be fair looking at that line up, it makes you wonder what any of the grumbling about Cosford was about.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

ozplane

Post by ozplane »

I think the thing that's missing is the heavyweight European participation. We all remember things like the SAA 747 low and slow display, the Red Bull and "Lufthansa" teams, the foreign warbirds and even the French chap and his formation of geese. Obviously costs have increased but there isn't a standout act in the line-up, with no disrespect to the actual performers.

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

for me its the fact you can yo see this line up for free at a seaside display so paying 45 pounds is quite a steep ask. Maybe we are just spoiled with free displays in this country lol.
Planned Shows for 2022 - Midlands air festival, Cosford, Weston, Southport, Riat, Blackpool, Bournemouth

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

Yes, and seaside airshows don't generally have dozens of airworthy historic aircraft sitting in hangars unused/not booked/not wanting to take part (whatever the politics may be).

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

It's almost scandalous that a fine array of piston fighters are being left in the hangar for this show.
Why is Contrary Mary always flown nowadays? At every show almost.
Variety is the spice of life and all that!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

I just don’t get how they used so much of a budget for that flying day in October booking basically an airshows worth then it comes to the actual airshow and they clearly decide to cut back it’s so bizarre especially when some flying days bad 2 items but the October one they went crazy

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Honestly its a bit mad but I half wonder if it was a bait and switch. I was so ready for this years airshow season that after some crackers at Duxford recently I bought tickets for every airshow in advance to 1) support the shows and 2) avoid missing out.

More fool me... no doubt i'll have a good time but this show is an absolute joke for £45.00 plus parking.

yannyfoxx

Post by yannyfoxx »

Just over a tenner less than RIAT. And kids get in for free at RIAT. I’m a staunch supporter of Duxford and IWM in general but this is a scandalous effort. They’ve seriously dropped the ball on this one and one can only hope that someone swallows a bit of pride and brings back Legends in its usual slot. Pretty glad I avoided this one.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I'm sure the line up will please under 10s but not sure who else, come on DX you can do better than this!

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

It's the same problem every year with this airshow, ever since Duxford decided to change the theme to a general family-friendly summer show.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Fri 17 Jun 2022, 9:53 pm
It's the same problem every year with this airshow, ever since Duxford decided to change the theme to a general family-friendly summer show.
Not just Duxford becoming family friendly rather than pandering to enthusiasts.

From RAF MUSEUM – STRATEGY 2030
This people-focused strategy was deliberately designed to engage the approximately 70% of Museum’s visitors who are not serving or former serving RAF men and women, industrialists, or for that matter, aviation enthusiasts. It was also designed for ordinary members of the public young and old who chose to visit one of the finest free to enter National Museums one will find in the UK for a great day out.
(my bold)
https://battle-updates.com/raf-museum-s ... isory-ltd/
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

pb643

Post by pb643 »

DaveBr wrote:
Fri 17 Jun 2022, 1:20 pm
Yes, and seaside airshows don't generally have dozens of airworthy historic aircraft sitting in hangars unused/not booked/not wanting to take part (whatever the politics may be).
I had rye opportunity to visit Duxford two weeks ago, something I have never done on a none air show day. There seemed to be a lot of aircraft in maintenance. I just wondered with no Legends and two largely missed season, how many of these aircraft have not been worked up to display ready leave? Compared that is with 2019?

Post by 5944 »

If you're going for selective quoting, the first bit of the previous paragraph states "The bottom line is that the RAF Museum’s primary purpose is to tell the story of the RAF though its people and its world class collections."

And yet the air show is lacking in RAF aircraft, past or present.

bedfordshirevulcan

Post by bedfordshirevulcan »

Sadly if families is the aim with this airshow with low attendance and interest versus near sell out enthusiast show I think duxford are not interested in their core purpose as this show has limited RAF links , with the cost for duxford this will not appeal to families who will see the high cost (way more than every other show apart from riat) and lack of fast jets and to a degree even warbirds and avoid all this line up is a expensive beach show and think most families would prefer Bournemouth or Clacton with a sandy beach and substantially less cost

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

In 20+ years I’ve never seen so few people at Duxford on an airshow morning, so few aircraft on the flightline or such a thin selection of stalls.

‘Appealing to families’ is all very well, but the way to appeal to everyone is surely to play to your strengths.

Mostly I just feel sad.

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

pb643 wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022, 6:34 am

I had rye opportunity to visit Duxford two weeks ago, something I have never done on a none air show day. There seemed to be a lot of aircraft in maintenance. I just wondered with no Legends and two largely missed season, how many of these aircraft have not been worked up to display ready leave? Compared that is with 2019?
This is chicken and egg though, no, subject to getting some bookings. If, for example, the Blenheim isn’t even booked for a home show why commit the extensive costs of preparing and insuring it.

That said, there are still normal weekdays where you would see greater variety of resident aircraft flying at Duxford than are featured in this show.

smokey

Post by smokey »

Went yesterday for the arrivals an practice displays. A thoroughly enjoyable day with the strike master duo practice being the highlight. Display line seemed a lot closer than previous at the M11 end possible helped by the slight cross wind. Worth remembering two years ago there were no airshows and last year was still quite limited due to covid. So if you go enjoy if you don't go stop whinging 😉
Rich in Rutland

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

DaveBr wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022, 8:16 am
In 20+ years I’ve never seen so few people at Duxford on an airshow morning, so few aircraft on the flightline or such a thin selection of stalls.

‘Appealing to families’ is all very well, but the way to appeal to everyone is surely to play to your strengths.

Mostly I just feel sad.
Oh dear, I was afraid this was coming. I’ve been to nearly every Duxford show for the past 40 years and for the first time this one just didn’t appeal and it’s so sad to see their shows going this way. Makes you wonder where it’ll all end? Do you think anyone there reads these comments and views so they know how we all feel?
...Rad shutters auto.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

smokey wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022, 8:38 am
Went yesterday for the arrivals an practice displays. A thoroughly enjoyable day with the strike master duo practice being the highlight. Display line seemed a lot closer than previous at the M11 end possible helped by the slight cross wind. Worth remembering two years ago there were no airshows and last year was still quite limited due to covid. So if you go enjoy if you don't go stop whinging 😉
That absolutely does not justify delivering a dross line up and charging for it

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

smokey wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022, 8:38 am
So are you at the show this weekend as well??
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Just seen a video the Norwegian historic squadron it looks very dead down there even atmosphere wise

smokey

Post by smokey »

[/quote]

So are you at the show this weekend as well??
[/quote]

No but that's due to family commitments not the line up. I agree it's not that spectacular and the lack of legends is disappointing but you pays your money and takes your choice.
Rich in Rutland

DaveBr

Post by DaveBr »

smokey wrote:
Sat 18 Jun 2022, 10:13 am

I agree it's not that spectacular and the lack of legends is disappointing but you pays your money and takes your choice.
That’s lovely as a principle, but the reality is that I don’t have a choice. IWM have overseen the demise of Flying Legends, a renowned aviation event that people would travel across the world to attend and replaced it with this.

I can choose not to come, and likely will take that choice in future, but I can’t choose to attend one of the worlds great air shows every July because, for now at least, it no longer exists.

Also, as someone who has attended almost every Duxford airshow for more than 20 years and been a Friend of Duxford and now an IWM member for all of that time, I think I have every right to feel sad and disappointed about it. The question is, as I posted above, what worthwhile channels are there to provide feedback to IWM?