Headcorn Battle of Britain Airshow

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
BobL

Re: Headcorn Battle of Britain Airshow

Post by BobL »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Fri 24 Jun 2022, 4:08 pm
I still don't understand why it's called 'Battle of Britain' show. It's not September.
Wait for the Spring Airshow in December...
Underneath my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Flyforfun wrote:
Fri 24 Jun 2022, 7:32 pm
Yes there are roadworks just before Sutton valance with the road being closed, tried 2 different routes and both had road closures for 1 reason or another.
Thanks for the heads up.
There are emergency gas main repairs going on just south of the B2163 (Four Wents) and it's closed from that junction to the next junction south, I can't see an easy alternative unfortunately - I may go down the A229 to Staplehurst then go cross country for the last bit. Will check AA roadwatch and One.network before I set off in case they get the repair done overnight (fingers crossed).
Andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

The detour needed is west towards Chart Sutton, only adds 2 mins to the journey. It's easy, Google maps should direct you. The closure is until Monday I think (great luck for the airshow eh!)

The display today was a mixed bag, some displays high and distant and the spit/hurri finale was superb, with a tailchase that I always love to watch.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

UKTopgun wrote:
Fri 24 Jun 2022, 9:30 pm
The detour needed is west towards Chart Sutton, only adds 2 mins to the journey. It's easy, Google maps should direct you. The closure is until Monday I think (great luck for the airshow eh!)
thanks for the info
Andy
andygolfer

jl151080

Post by jl151080 »

Has to be said the provisions for those with disabilities are appalling.

I don’t use a wheelchair but can’t walk far, and having to struggle from the car park with a chair, a stick etc across uneven ground to the showground is grim.

On Friday I was told, in error, to park in the Spitfire Enclosure car park. That’s where the disabled car park should be. I parked overlooking the runway and didn’t have to leave the car all day.

Whoever has planned the disabled facilities doesn’t appear to have any empathy with the struggles of those with limited mobility. A shame. For all their faults, Duxford have this covered far better.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Gt5500 wrote:
Tue 14 Jun 2022, 1:47 pm
ted633 wrote:
Sat 11 Jun 2022, 5:09 pm
I've been to the last 2 shows and didn't think the flying was anymore distant than other venues (bar Old Warden of course). Yes, almost the entire crowdline is taken up with enclosures, but personally I never sit at the front anyway as it can be a bit crowded and having the enclosures probably keeps the cost down for the rest of us. £25 per person or £59 for a family of 4 is pretty good value now.
You may choose to not sit at the front but the point being made was most shows give you the option to if you wish. This show does not give you the option, the whole crowdline is taken up by enclosures (which are very expensive in comparison to the standard admission).
In 2020 and 2021 there were a couple of small areas that were not taken up by enclosures but when I tried to stand in one I got moved on only to see 100's of people there a few hours later...
I've been to the airshow today (flightline enclosure) and there were two areas where you could access the fence line without going into either the flightline or Spitfire enclosures. There was about a 50 - 60 metre length of fenceline east of the flightline enclosure between the flightline enclosure and the fenced off area where the control cabin and some buildings were and then about 100 - 150 metres to the west of the flightline enclosure between that and the Spitfire enclosure so access there is possible and it didn't seem particularly crowded when I went that way to the toilets.

I thought it was a good display and thoroughly enjoyed it and easily avoided the road closures by going down the A229 from Maidstone to Coxheath then across to Chart Sutton and on to Warmlake onto the A274 and south to Headcorn - thanks for all the info on the roadworks yesterday, made my journey easy.
andygolfer

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

Completely agree with the last post. A Very enjoyable day. I also went yesterday but today the flying looked tighter and more polished with generally brighter weather and more sunshine.

Most of the general admission people who are parked over the road, when they walk in to the entrance and show their tickets, the visible part of the crowd line to the right of the Flightline enclosure is directly in front. Being a short walk, that area probably quite quickly fills up.

On the other hand, being further down and further away from the entrance, the 100 to 150 metres of crowd line to the left of the Flightline enclosure on both Friday and Saturday took a while to fill up.

Martin Eames

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

jl151080 wrote:
Sat 25 Jun 2022, 6:36 pm

I don’t use a wheelchair but can’t walk far, and having to struggle from the car park with a chair, a stick etc across uneven ground to the showground is grim.

On Friday I was told, in error, to park in the Spitfire Enclosure car park. That’s where the disabled car park should be. I parked overlooking the runway and didn’t have to leave the car all day.

Whoever has planned the disabled facilities doesn’t appear to have any empathy with the struggles of those with limited mobility. A shame. For all their faults, Duxford have this covered far better.
Your not the only one. One of my friends is disabled, does not use a wheelchair but can't walk far either and he has complained.

Martin Eames

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

MAJOR RANT WARNING> I truly do hope these Headcorn Clowns read this Forum. They should be ashamed of their pathetic efforts! Based on the P**s Poor website, News updates, missing 2022 Site-plan & a clear lack of access facilities for Disabled Blue-Badge/DWP recipient General Admission ticket-holders, I have reluctantly decided NOT to attend this Event as my colleague would seemingly be unable to access anywhere close to the crowd-line. This is a clear breach of the Disability Discrimination Act in that it does NOT afford the same opportunities as for able-bodied persons!
Twenty years since its enactment, it's NOT sufficient to say the "the surface is rough uneven grass" as that's equivalent to saying " F**k your luck if you can't manage to move on that!" It would not be unreasonable to lay a reasonably level short aluminium trackway from the adjacent Disabled Parking to a Reserved viewing area? Instead, they are effectively forcing the disabled visitor (discriminatory!!) to purchase a mentally high-priced enclosure ticket with their Carer access at the 'Child Ticket' cost. A mere £290 Spitfire Enclosure /£110 Premier Enclosure for access. But you do get to "Walk the Flight-line" :rage: :angry: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
On the positive side, their 3-day tickets are a bargain if you live just '4 Litres' (sic) away! Beyond that, It's farcical & I will be officially taking this further with the relevant Authorities. P**s-up in a Brewery springs to mind! :scream:

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

5944 wrote:
Fri 24 Jun 2022, 2:44 pm
clearstone wrote:
Fri 24 Jun 2022, 6:55 am
What's with all the tents?
the row of white tents in the second photo are mainly the entrances to the Flightline enclosure (the others were 2 or 3 bars in that enclosure. In my post last evening I mentioned the length of fenceline that was accessible on a 'normal' ticket and this the length in this photo between the foreground enclosure and the flightline enclosure in the distance
Andy
andygolfer

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Went to Headcorn yesterday, must say it was nice to be there without getting freezing cold and soaking wet as has been the past 2 years!
I found the displays all pretty tight and not too distant. Only exceptions were the Yak and Harvard, but it was still enjoyable nonetheless. The closing display of the spitfires and hurricanes was very enjoyable.
There were also a few gaps in the show, probably not helped by the cancellation of the Strikemasters due to pilot illness.
I was thinking that getting out was going to be a nightmare, but I was on the road less than 15 minutes after getting in the car which isn't too shabby as I left about 10 minutes after the final display.
I know there have been quibbles about the amount of crowdline taken up by enclosures, but there were 2 areas where you could get a front row seat. The western area, directly behind the parked hurricanes, surprisingly still had plenty of space to sit at 11am, so either people hadn't found it or just weren't that bothered about a front row seat.

Schanche

Post by Schanche »

Well had a great a day Saturday been so long since having been to headcorn sallyB and the Dakota were my highlights, regarding parking yes was a nightmare for the elderly also we was getting ushered to the end of no where and I refused to make my 90 yr old father walk all that way I politely told the young police cadet that I will be parking near the entrance in and he was quite understanding.
Great event weather makes it and plenty of viewing area as others have mentioned to the right and left of the pay to sit at a table enclosure 🙄.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Irony was, the flightline enclosure had Harvards, Starlings etc parked in front of it, and the 'cheap seats' got the hurricanes and spitfires! Bet those who paid the £65 were well chuffed !!

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

I saw Sally B flying West over Mid Sussex yesterday afternoon, not sure where she was heading

edit; it did a few circuits of Knepp, hope it didn't scare the storks :worried: looks like it was centred on RAF Coolham

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

UKTopgun wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 8:42 pm
Irony was, the flightline enclosure had Harvards, Starlings etc parked in front of it, and the 'cheap seats' got the hurricanes and spitfires! Bet those who paid the £65 were well chuffed !!
The parked aircraft weren't a problem for me in the Flightline enclosure, I had a nice wide space between two parked aircraft (about 10 metres) so was able to pan nicely UNTIL!!!!!.......................

Why do official photographers get let loose on an airfield without any training on where to place themselves, this ***** parked himself right smack centre in the gap, why aren't they told to stand in front of a parked aircraft where they are far less obtrusive and won't block sight lines? I labelled this photo PTFU, I'll leave you to work that out :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

ImagePTFU 0107 by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr
andygolfer

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Zoom wrote:
Mon 27 Jun 2022, 6:38 am
I saw Sally B flying West over Mid Sussex yesterday afternoon, not sure where she was heading

edit; it did a few circuits of Knepp, hope it didn't scare the storks :worried: looks like it was centred on RAF Coolham
Was for a filming project about the former RAF Coolham.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

clearstone wrote:
Mon 27 Jun 2022, 1:26 pm
Zoom wrote:

Also done a special remembrance flight over Biggin Hill .
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

clearstone wrote:
Mon 27 Jun 2022, 1:26 pm
Zoom wrote:

Ok thanks, I've cycled along the perimeter and there are trees poppies and plaques for each of the crew who died, also a memorial outside the Selsey Arms which also has a life size model Spitfire

Asjkent

Post by Asjkent »

jl151080 wrote:
Sat 25 Jun 2022, 6:36 pm

I am also disabled and agree mistakes were made with the new security team , however pointing out to organisers they tried to sort things out, this was my second year at the show.

I agree parking on Grass is not ideal however parking was very close to walk way and was a lot shorter distance to go than Duxford or Shuttleworth. The Police Cadets are there to help. On website it explained about surfaces, we were in normal admission weekend pass and had a few issues like no weight notification on ramp for disabled toilet and having on Friday issue with getting wheelchair over speed ramp onto field, after speaking they removed barrier on out exit dealing with this. So leaving on Friday, and all day Saturday and Sunday no issues.

Shown where alternative toilets where so issue avoided.

The Marshall staff went out of there way to assist

Asjkent

Post by Asjkent »

Stagger2 wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 10:50 am
MAJOR RANT WARNING> I truly do hope these Headcorn Clowns read this Forum. They should be ashamed of their pathetic efforts! Based on the P**s Poor website, News updates, missing 2022 Site-plan & a clear lack of access facilities for Disabled Blue-Badge/DWP recipient General Admission ticket-holders, I have reluctantly decided NOT to attend this Event as my colleague would seemingly be unable to access anywhere close to the crowd-line. This is a clear breach of the Disability Discrimination Act in that it does NOT afford the same opportunities as for able-bodied persons!
Twenty years since its enactment, it's NOT sufficient to say the "the surface is rough uneven grass" as that's equivalent to saying " F**k your luck if you can't manage to move on that!" It would not be unreasonable to lay a reasonably level short aluminium trackway from the adjacent Disabled Parking to a Reserved viewing area? Instead, they are effectively forcing the disabled visitor (discriminatory!!) to purchase a mentally high-priced enclosure ticket with their Carer access at the 'Child Ticket' cost. A mere £290 Spitfire Enclosure /£110 Premier Enclosure for access. But you do get to "Walk the Flight-line" :rage: :angry: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
On the positive side, their 3-day tickets are a bargain if you live just '4 Litres' (sic) away! Beyond that, It's farcical & I will be officially taking this further with the relevant Authorities. P**s-up in a Brewery springs to mind! :scream:
Hi Martin, if you Friend wants to go and has trouble walking speak to Parking Team and they will assist as Red Cross had wheelchairs available to help.

I spoke to them as a wheelchair user and they are happy to help infact I had two other disabled friends with me. I have spoken to organisers to put my and some other people views to them to help improve future shows.

Asjkent

Post by Asjkent »

Stagger2 wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 10:50 am
I am sorry that you chose not to go as I enjoyed the 3 days sat in my wheelchair near Front but behind the Premier Flight line on weekend ticket for £39, and had a carer and a second Disabled person in an electric wheelchair and enjoyed ourselves .

In an ideal world every Museum, Shop would be able to cater for everyone's individual needs, I have been all over UK and found issues with access. I cannot use most buses or trains as weight limit of ramp to low or door widths so I have to drive a WAV . I can go to practically any town, village or City and have issues with step access or doorways smaller than 1m wide.

When we had a few issues we spoke to organising team and they did what they could to make our visit as best as they possibly could.

We are know things need to be sorted but we have to be realistic. I have had access issues in Rye, Eastbourne, Filey, York and more so you have to live with it or we will get to stressed and end up having a cardiac arrest. Did you contact Aero Legends to try and get a solution. I could issue letters to thousands of places, Most historic Venues cannot change every thing to suit us.

The act doesn't require them to give any concessions to us, they do but not as much as some shows.

I try to get Disabled facilities improved around the UK and have worked with Tourist Boards in Europe, so know how frustrating it can be but we need to talk to people to try to work together not threatening as this doesn't help.

I appreciate you felt more could have been down, they did more this year to help.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

There is no excuse in these tech' savvy days for NOT conveying the basic information. Why not have a working link to the 2022 site plan so that unfamiliar visitors can formulate a strategy for getting to the location where they would like to be? Why not mention in the information/Event news online that a small army awaits with wheelchair assistance (maybe in the sentence after 'the rough ground' that wasn't included?) to assist those who can't manage the walk. Why not properly brief the Police Cadets/casual workers or whoever that dealt with the parking/accessibility contingencies, or did they just make-it up as they went along. No, I'm sorry but the organisational skills were NFG. It's about as much use as Tits on a Tortoise that a member of the Public comes along after the event to tell me it would have been okay if I took a chance, went there & spent a chunk of time talking to every jobsworth to get what should've been previously known as available. Aint gonna have a coronary & I don't make idle threats.
PS: Never tried to climb Mt Everest or go to the top of Conway Castle as (A) they bore the s**t out of me. (B) It isn't really feasible to afford wheelchair access to either (C) A man's gotta know his limitations, not have them enforced by others as that's discrimination! :wink:

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

andygolfer wrote:
Mon 27 Jun 2022, 1:24 pm
The parked aircraft weren't a problem for me in the Flightline enclosure, I had a nice wide space between two parked aircraft (about 10 metres) so was able to pan nicely UNTIL!!!!!.......................
Why do official photographers get let loose on an airfield without any training on where to place themselves, this ***** parked himself right smack centre in the gap, why aren't they told to stand in front of a parked aircraft where they are far less obtrusive and won't block sight lines? I labelled this photo PTFU, I'll leave you to work that out :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Would 'PTFU' be similar to Photographic Total Muck-Up then? :slight_smile:

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Stagger2 wrote:
Tue 28 Jun 2022, 1:21 am
andygolfer wrote:
Mon 27 Jun 2022, 1:24 pm
Would 'PTFU' be similar to Photographic Total Muck-Up then? :slight_smile:
Close!!!! :laughing: :laughing:
I find it incredible how this happens so often at airshows, why don't the management team think about the issue bearing in mind how many photographers attend their events and instruct them to stand where views are already impeded rather than in the open gaps that remain , Okay walk across the gaps if necessary but don't stand right in the middle of them for an hour or so for no gain on their photos. And it amazes me how rarely we see these photos appear anywhere so what do they do with them and what is the point?
andygolfer

Flyforfun

Post by Flyforfun »

They appear on the Headcorn facebook page :)