RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
rdchawk

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by rdchawk »

Just noticed this from a local journalism paper, joint black eagles red arrows flypast for RIAT??

https://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/ne ... -airshows/
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

rdchawk wrote:
Sat 02 Jul 2022, 12:02 pm
Just noticed this from a local journalism paper, joint black eagles red arrows flypast for RIAT??

https://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/ne ... -airshows/
Yeah, that was mentioned in the original Korean press release a few months back as being something that was planned....so maybe it'll be a Friday thing like the Reds did when the Thunderbirds were over in 2017 🤷‍♂️

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

CJS wrote:
Sat 02 Jul 2022, 6:27 am
Save the trees!! Remember folks you don't need to print your tickets out 👍🏼
I've managed to offset my one sheet of paper this year by planting 21 trees in the garden.

JMC

Post by JMC »

I wonder if there's a small possibility of an update on Monday? Seeing as the B-52 and Osprey are the only flyers so far, do you think there's a chance of a flypast like we had in 2017?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Is it Father's Day?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

ThatDutchDude

Post by ThatDutchDude »

JMC wrote:
Sat 02 Jul 2022, 1:25 pm
I wonder if there's a small possibility of an update on Monday? Seeing as the B-52 and Osprey are the only flyers so far, do you think there's a chance of a flypast like we had in 2017?
Would be an amazing date of course, and amazing news, a joint flypast is always cool!

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

If my maths is correct I make it 147 aircraft on static at present not including the C-2 from Japan, please correct me if I am wrong?

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

duffspeed wrote:
Sat 02 Jul 2022, 1:01 pm
CJS wrote:
Sat 02 Jul 2022, 6:27 am
Save the trees!! Remember folks you don't need to print your tickets out 👍🏼
I've managed to offset my one sheet of paper this year by planting 21 trees in the garden.
Most paper (at least in Western Europe) comes from constantly renewed Scandinavian softwoods, so don't get fretted about it. Indeed the organised harvesting tends to produce a mosaic of tree ages from clearfell clearings to mature blocks via dense saplings that make for a good range of conifer habitats for creatures of the Northern forests. The only ones that tend not to be catered for are those requiring standing dead wood and old growth forest.

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

G-SAHI wrote:
Wed 29 Jun 2022, 4:24 pm
Hello all,
My first post on here, so go easy!
I shall be attending RIAT for the entire weekend with Trago Mills SAH-1 G-SAHI, arriving Thursday PM.
I have read the messages regarding anxiety and nervousness for those that suffer from such issues. I wanted to write and say that SAHI will be open, as I’m sure will many other aircraft, and you would be very welcome to drop by, have a sit in her, and chat. No such thing as a stupid question, and I have experience with showing youngsters around the machine.
Paul, after reading your fantastic post, I've adjusted your parking position from the Green Zone to Red Zone so visitors can enjoy your aircraft all three days of the show. G-SAHI will be parked on the grass, just off the main taxiway, in the Red Zone, near Bus Stop 6a. I look forward to welcoming you to the Air Tattoo next week, bravo!

Cheers,
Peter

JMC

Post by JMC »

Fantastic reading ^

Nice one Peter :grinning:

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

+1 really heart warming.

The aircraft is (briefly) shown in the BBC series Test Pilot from the late 80s.
It is flown in one of the later episodes by Dave Southwood - famous TP and Display Pilot
It's on You Tube and well worth a (re)watch.
Younger members might be amazed by the size of ETPS fleet compared to today!
At the time it came out I had just started work at RAE Farnborough and was trying to get a transfer to Boscombe.
Happy Days

G-SAHI

Post by G-SAHI »

Morning Peter,
All noted thanks. Look forward to meeting you there.
Best wishes for a great show,
Paul.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Qq

Can you travel in on one route but exit via another?

I ask as I maybe traveling to the show from the south west but then after would be traveling East??

So I think would be brown in but blue or red out?
Whisky Connoisseur

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

G-SAHI wrote:
Sun 03 Jul 2022, 7:34 am
Morning Peter,
All noted thanks. Look forward to meeting you there.
Best wishes for a great show,
Paul.
I will make sure to make a point of coming to see the aircraft. Wonder how many ukar members you could meet in one weekend!
Whisky Connoisseur

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Sat 02 Jul 2022, 10:03 pm
G-SAHI wrote:
Wed 29 Jun 2022, 4:24 pm
Hello all,
My first post on here, so go easy!
I shall be attending RIAT for the entire weekend with Trago Mills SAH-1 G-SAHI, arriving Thursday PM.
I have read the messages regarding anxiety and nervousness for those that suffer from such issues. I wanted to write and say that SAHI will be open, as I’m sure will many other aircraft, and you would be very welcome to drop by, have a sit in her, and chat. No such thing as a stupid question, and I have experience with showing youngsters around the machine.
Paul, after reading your fantastic post, I've adjusted your parking position from the Green Zone to Red Zone so visitors can enjoy your aircraft all three days of the show. G-SAHI will be parked on the grass, just off the main taxiway, in the Red Zone, near Bus Stop 6a. I look forward to welcoming you to the Air Tattoo next week, bravo!

Cheers,
Peter
What a lovely idea ,my partner suffers from anxiety and getting on an aircraft after an awful and tragic event a couple of years back 👏🏼👏🏼

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

rdchawk wrote:
Sun 03 Jul 2022, 7:47 am
Qq

I ask as I maybe traveling to the show from the south west but then after would be traveling East??

From the West and South West - Brown Route

Traffic from the West, South West and Bristol on the M4, exit at Junction 17 and travel north towards Malmesbury, turning north east on to the B4040 towards Minety and then north on the B4696 towards Ashton Keynes (Cotswold Water Park). Traffic passes over the A419 joining the Cirencester Road south bound through Latton, merging with the Blue or Green routes as directed, dependent upon prevailing traffic levels.

It sort of depends where east and the time of day you arrive.

If you end up in the blue car park you will probably go out through Kempsford, Hannington Wick then use the Highworth road out on the Shrivenham Road to the A420 towards Oxford. If you arrive later and are not in the first or second field then you will likely go out back to the A419, south to the M4.

Green takes you back up towards Cirencester but then aim up the A429 to Fosse Bridge and Northleach.

But nothing is certain.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

iainpeden wrote:
Sun 03 Jul 2022, 8:24 am
rdchawk wrote:
Sun 03 Jul 2022, 7:47 am
Qq

From the West and South West - Brown Route

Traffic from the West, South West and Bristol on the M4, exit at Junction 17 and travel north towards Malmesbury, turning north east on to the B4040 towards Minety and then north on the B4696 towards Ashton Keynes (Cotswold Water Park). Traffic passes over the A419 joining the Cirencester Road south bound through Latton, merging with the Blue or Green routes as directed, dependent upon prevailing traffic levels.

It sort of depends where east and the time of day you arrive.

If you end up in the blue car park you will probably go out through Kempsford, Hannington Wick then use the Highworth road out on the Shrivenham Road to the A420 towards Oxford. If you arrive later and are not in the first or second field then you will likely go out back to the A419, south to the M4.

Green takes you back up towards Cirencester but then aim up the A429 to Fosse Bridge and Northleach.

But nothing is certain.
Could be traveling from Salisbury direction in the am but then travel to Hertfordshire after the show. I ask as I know from previous that you normally enter/exit via the way you came in.
Whisky Connoisseur

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

You just have to follow the traffic management plan until you're able to veer off in the direction you want.

I've been in green in the past (arriving from oop north) but needing to go to Heathrow afterwards. It's a pain, but doable.

Strato42

Post by Strato42 »

Morning all,
New to the forum. Drove past Fairford today noticed the construction work still in full swing on the north east side of the airfield. Will be interesting to see where the display aircraft are parked this year. Could make for a pretty awesome bit of action if they’re only using areas at the east and west end of the airfield.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

A303 to Swindon, A419 to the blue route.
Coming out, probably out via kempsford and highworth to blunsdon then A419 back to the M4, M25 and M1 to Hertfordshire.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Strato42 wrote:
Sun 03 Jul 2022, 10:12 am
Morning all,
New to the forum. Drove past Fairford today noticed the construction work still in full swing on the north east side of the airfield. Will be interesting to see where the display aircraft are parked this year. Could make for a pretty awesome bit of action if they’re only using areas at the east and west end of the airfield.
It could also make for more people getting blown off ladders:wink:

Flightech

Post by Flightech »

I just heard that the Indian Air force are bringing their Tejas jet for the flying display 😍

CJS

Post by CJS »

Flightech wrote:
Sun 03 Jul 2022, 1:39 pm
I just heard that the Indian Air force are bringing their Tejas jet for the flying display 😍
Heard from....?

Don't get me wrong, it would be an incredible catch, just wondering the source?

I think they are in the UK for a joint exercise or something, is that correct?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Chopper81

Post by Chopper81 »

Flightech wrote:
Really???

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Flightech wrote:
I think you need hearing aids or need to stop believing who told you that.