RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
JJC

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by JJC »

Good day all round. That last 30 mins of arrivals was some of the best airshowing I’ve experienced. Magic stuff.

Austrian typhoons were superb, as was the Finnish Hawk.

Was going to mention Zeus - most improved display award goes to…. Even if he did get reprimanded for clearly overflying they crowd early on😂

Picked up my brochure earlier. Atrocious coverart once again.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

JJC

Post by JJC »

JMC wrote:
Fri 15 Jul 2022, 6:25 pm
You know it was a really good RIAT day when the only thing I can think of that was at worst a mild meh was the Koreans didn’t appear to have any tat!
The cost of tat in general shocked me. No way is a patch worth £20, yet people were buying them in multiples 😂

JJC

Post by JJC »

JMC wrote:
Fri 15 Jul 2022, 4:34 pm
Slow start but picked up quickly! Was a great day all in all! Some validations included, whats not to like.

I’m surprised no ones mentioned Zeus, I was walking into red from yellow and its one of the few times I felt my hairs raise out of concern at a show. Nervously laughed it off, but that was dodge! How it wasn’t flagged I have no idea at all!
He did get told by the display director and acknowledged. Was awesome though.

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

They cant be any worse than half and half football scarves.
!

Sounds like you guys had a good afternoon. Shame we cant all get to see the E4 fly , but it is what it is.
I cant wait for tomorrow..
Last edited by Mr Benn on Fri 15 Jul 2022, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

- Greece F16 was way over the crowd during its validation this morning, whilst pulling through a turn. Surprised it was allowed to continue.

- Silver Swallows were a bit high throughout their display, but I found a few segments of the entire flying programme occasionally high and distant from my POV. I'm sure it's simply not straightforward assessing on the ground and guessing like me, so I do understand and appreciate it is all relative.

- German NH90 flying exclusively down the far end of the runway. What's the point? On the contrary, the Czech Hip and Hind display was absolutely magnificent.

- Shame it was just a single pass from the Swedish Historics.

- Finland Hawk so clean. So impressive.

- Austria QRA demo is nuts. Brilliant flying.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Is everything on the ground now that was expected (other than the cancellations we have found out about)?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

I think everything flying in is in now

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Thought that F-16 practise display was a bit too close and glad to see others noticed it too lol

Both me and my Dad had a fantastic day, the Black Eagles put the Red Arrows to shame, they even did the heart better haha

Seeing that E4 arrive was the highlight for me and then the surprise flyover of an F-15 and F-35A was the perfect end.

Frogfoot

Post by Frogfoot »

Very surprised that the Hellenic F-16’s rehearsal wasn’t terminated after that crowdline breach. I’ve never seen anything like that before!

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

Have to agree with Zeus.
How was that not a red card.

Also the helis in the display are great but as been pointed out there is a whole display line!

Good to bump into some Ukar chaps today.
I logged into ukar this morning. 1st time in 3 years!
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

The Hellenic F-16 certainly got a bit erm, lost. I did think it would have been asked to land after that.

A good day with few negatives really, echo what most people have said about the Red Arrows, they just lack something this year. Away from them losing two aircraft, it just doesn't feel that exciting. The BBMF didn't do much either, just seemed to be a couple of passes before they landed.

The Austrian Air Force stole the show for me, superb display. Black Eagles were also fantastic, don't think I've ever seen so many formation changes! The Swiss F-18 was as ever brilliant, just seeing an A-4 in the air was a huge bonus for me, as it's a type I've never seen before.

Very much looking forward to tomorrow!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Good to see you again, mate.

Separately:

The understated dignity of it genuinely makes me a little emotional. What a lovely, lovely gesture. A “missing static”. Huge well done to the team that put that together.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Frogfoot wrote:
Fri 15 Jul 2022, 6:54 pm
Very surprised that the Hellenic F-16’s rehearsal wasn’t terminated after that crowdline breach. I’ve never seen anything like that before!
I think in 2014 or 2015 a Tornado didn’t a similar crowd line breach, I remember as I was in the grandstand seating and as he was approaching I was thinking “hmm he is leaving it a bit late” and then wow didn’t expect to get that close to it lol

CJS

Post by CJS »

I saw this on Facebook. Genuinely moving and emotional. Possibly the best static display you'll see this year. ☹️

Well done DBH, bloody well done.👍🏼
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

Just back to my temporary night stop after today's 'show'. I spent the whole day in P&V East as I'm in the showground tomorrow & Sunday now, so I thought I could catch today's excellent remaining arrivals & just watch the displays from down there.

Little did I know Zeus was going to display over my head at 500ft....I may have blasphemed!

Some nice arrivals today, well done on getting the RNLAF F-16s, Skyhawk, SwAFHF & E-4B(!) to do some low flybys 👌🙂🙂
Really want to see that Viggen up close, such a beastly thing!

Loved just being at arrivals again, seeing people I only ever see there....shame about the late cancels but it happens every year. Who actually thought the E-3A would show up?! 🙄

Back tomorrow to try & get display shots & Sunday to kind of test out a 40D that I got 2nd hand, with a friend and their kids...Will see what they make of the Black Eagles, who are again magnificent.

Disaster Area

Post by Disaster Area »

I was hoping that the Air Tattoo would pay their respects to Colonel Oksanchenko and what a very poignant and fitting way to do so. Well done DBH

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Considering the Reds fly 40 year old aircraft I am not surprised they are boring.Always have been in my opinion compared to other display teams.But the public still love them its just the spotters that know when they have seen many better overseas acts.Perhaps they should be disbanded but as they promote the RAF overseas that will never happen.Maybe upgrade to T2,S but not sure if that will make any difference.

mbowde

Post by mbowde »

Well I got it wrong thinking the E4 would be the one supporting Biden! but credit where it’s due to the organisers and the USAF for sending one over especially! Combined with todays displays/arrivals to see flying a HInd, Hip, A4, Viggen, Draken and Lansen just wow!

JMC

Post by JMC »

So then, anyone reckon we’ll see a sneaky addition(s) on the sheet of lies tomorrow/Sunday? (I bought a cool B-2 coin today and was like hm)

verreli

Post by verreli »

A USAF 4 star was here today so the show is certainly being supported by the top brass.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Great day all round for me, after COVID, just wonderful to be back.

Any comments on the F-35 and F-15 that come in straight over the crowd?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Alpha Delta 210

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

Great day, wasn't it? The highlights for me were the Swedes and E-4B landing after the flying display had finished!

I was puzzled by the F-15E and the F-35A flying almost diagonally across the airfield from the north. I was expecting to hear some transmissions on the scanner, but heard nothing.

Alpha Delta 210

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

JMC wrote:
Fri 15 Jul 2022, 4:34 pm
Slow start but picked up quickly! Was a great day all in all! Some validations included, whats not to like.

I’m surprised no ones mentioned Zeus, I was walking into red from yellow and its one of the few times I felt my hairs raise out of concern at a show. Nervously laughed it off, but that was dodge! How it wasn’t flagged I have no idea at all!
He came right over my head in the Red area as well and I expected to hear an immediate "Terminate, terminate", but I heard nothing until he had nearly completed his rehearsal. The message was simply "First pass was too close", which I thought was a classic British understatement!!

Tornadofan

Post by Tornadofan »

Hello everybody, hope everybody who went today had a great time. Can I just ask a couple of questions, I’m driving in on Sunday this year as taking my Mum (First time at an air show) and coming from the south so believe I’d end up on the green route. Is the parking on base or a distance away as I don’t want to make her walk too far? I’d also want to get near to the crowd line so guess I’ll be heading for the red zone, would I actually be better off getting onto the red route? Finally I should arrive 6.30ish so from experience how bad is the queue by then and if we head in as soon as the show ground opens how easy will it be to get a spot on the crowd line or is it a bit of a stampede like Yeovilton can be?