BBMF - Southend/Rochford

Aviation sightings, roadrunners, exercises and flypasts
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

BBMF - Southend/Rochford

Post by Blackbird »

I saw the Lanc looking like it was on approach about 45 mins ago and have just seen a Spit going southbound just now. Just wondering if anyone knows where they’re going or have been?

Andy

Amp

Re: BBMF - Southend/Rochford

Post by Amp »

Eastbourne

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

there for the weekend and apparently with the Typhoon and Reds as well

There's also an open day for Vulcan XL426 on Sunday so a chance to see that close up. A good cause with good views of t he runway:wink:
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Thanks guys.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Typhoon just arrived. Only one showing on ADSB but it might have been with a spare?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

andygolfer wrote:
Thu 18 Aug 2022, 4:36 pm

There's also an open day for Vulcan XL426 on Sunday so a chance to see that close up. A good cause with good views of t he runway:wink:
Interesting. Anyone been to one of these recently that can share a bit of info about where the access is?

Alternatively, anyone know good places for spotting at Southend. There's a field near a bus stop at the 23 end, is that accessible and/or any good for photos?

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Thu 18 Aug 2022, 4:59 pm
andygolfer wrote:
Thu 18 Aug 2022, 4:36 pm

Interesting. Anyone been to one of these recently that can share a bit of info about where the access is?

Alternatively, anyone know good places for spotting at Southend. There's a field near a bus stop at the 23 end, is that accessible and/or any good for photos?
I'm at a pink Floyd tribute band concert this evening but will dig out info for you tomorrow Dan, the VRT trust site should have info. I also did a spotting guide for Southend on CA a few years back which might help. Will send you what I have tomorrow
Andy
andygolfer

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

I couldn't find the delete button for my 'post in error' but I can now replace it with some meaningful info, here's a link to the Vulcan event on Sunday which includes various cockpits and other bits and pieces. all out on the apron 'with views across the airport' - Dan , that might be handy for you :wink:

I've put details in the other events section here : viewtopic.php?t=87937

hope that's a bit tidier and easy to find now
Andy
Last edited by andygolfer on Fri 19 Aug 2022, 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
andygolfer

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Blank post buddy...?

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

sorry Dan, did something wrong on my phone trying to post in a hurry before part 2 started! I can't find the delete button for it but will rewrite it with the Vulcan day info there instead once I've found it all.
Here's the guide to Southend that I wrote many years ago now, (so long ago that the photos are on Photobucket!)
https://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/foru ... 01&t=19848

you will see from the last comment that things have changed particularly as far as map 1 shows (Lancaster bar long gone and Vulcan now near the south side flying clubs). Maps 3 and 4 will be your most useful ones nowadays.
I shall see what the view is like from the Vulcan apron while I'm there (when they do a taxi run you get good views of the runway and taxiway (obviously or no point in doing it) but I will probably go up on the elevated pathway on plan 4 (walk from the small car park shown on the map), you'll get a nice semi head on view as they come down the runway and lift off and as the pass albeit a bit above an A320 sized aircraft only needs about 120mm focal length. The other point north of the small car park on map 4 is okay as long as you are comfortable shooting through the fence

I shall try to get some extra photos to update the info on Sunday (time flies unfortunately)
HTH
Andy
andygolfer

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

2nd Typhoon looks like it is in the circuit now.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Thanks Andy.