RE 8 photo.

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
lossiemouth

RE 8 photo.

Post by lossiemouth »

Good Afternoon all,

More out of hope than expectation, but does anyone know if a photo exists of RE 8 registration A71, that was involved in a fatal accident in Hanworth on the 3rd of February 1917?

Any help gratefully received.

iainpeden

Re: RE 8 photo.

Post by iainpeden »

Maybe a search the IWM website would be a starting point?
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

lossiemouth

Post by lossiemouth »

iainpeden wrote:
Wed 24 Aug 2022, 4:37 pm
Maybe a search the IWM website would be a starting point?
I got a decent photo of the pilot involved in the accident off the IWM, but sadly nothing else. The RAFM came up with the casualty card. so I'm still looking.

SiaiMarchetto

Post by SiaiMarchetto »

Captain Alexander Allan Gray MC, inexplicably lost control of his machine at about 700ft, and nose-dived into the grounds of a property - the residence of Miss Pollock - called 'Wood Lawn' on the Hounslow Road, Hanworth. The plane caught fire, but his neck had already been broken by the impact so he did not burn to death. Search goggl maps for 'Woodlawn, Hanworth' and you find a garage [at a flying guess] where this house used to be!
As for finding a photo of this particular aircraft, I think you have probably more chance of a ride on the Artemis rocket later today. However, he looked a 'quite dashing' chap, I imagine him being keen to send pictures to family . . . an ancient [now forgotten or lost] photo album is where such evidence may once have been found.