Goodwood Revival Spots

Aviation sightings, roadrunners, exercises and flypasts
Sophielovestea

Goodwood Revival Spots

Post by Sophielovestea »

Hi, can anyone recommend any good spots to see aircraft from Goodwood Revival without having to actually attended the event?
Many thanks

GeeRam

Re: Goodwood Revial Spots

Post by GeeRam »

Sophielovestea wrote:
Thu 01 Sep 2022, 8:36 am
Hi, can anyone recommend any good spots to see aircraft from Goodwood Revival without having to actually attended the event?
Many thanks
If you mean flying ones, then because of the revised CAA regs post Shoreham, there is no longer any flying display element to Revival like there used to be, because you can't isolate the display line from the crowd around the circuit.
The only flying element is usually a 3-ship routine of Spits that open the proceedings each day at around 8am for about 10mins, which is pretty much just flyby's down the runway.......and that's it. I think they do the same think to close the day as well on the Sunday only?

And unless you live close by (i.e walking or cycling distance) you won't even get close to see that because of the traffic measures in place.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Timetable for the event : https://www.goodwood.com/motorsport/goo ... timetable/

As per GeeRam's post....3 displays on the Thursday, between 17:30 and about 18:30 ; A single 10-minute display on the Friday morning @ 08:00 ; Two 10-minute displays on the Saturday - 08:00 & 19:00 ; And a single 10-minute display on the Sunday morning @ 08:00
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Sophielovestea

Post by Sophielovestea »

Thanks so much, yeah I knew it was very limited since shoreham (we’re just down the road) but I was hoping there might have been a secret hill that we might have caught the spitfires from! Didn’t realise the little runs would be so early though, so may be back scouring for other places we can see exciting aircraft for free! We’re local, but not that local! (Think you probably have to be one of the norfolks to get that close anyway!)
Thanks again
GeeRam wrote:
Thu 01 Sep 2022, 11:05 am
Sophielovestea wrote:
Thu 01 Sep 2022, 8:36 am
Many thanks
If you mean flying ones, then because of the revised CAA regs post Shoreham, there is no longer any flying display element to Revival like there used to be, because you can't isolate the display line from the crowd around the circuit.
The only flying element is usually a 3-ship routine of Spits that open the proceedings each day at around 8am for about 10mins, which is pretty much just flyby's down the runway.......and that's it. I think they do the same think to close the day as well on the Sunday only?

And unless you live close by (i.e walking or cycling distance) you won't even get close to see that because of the traffic measures in place.

Sophielovestea

Post by Sophielovestea »

Super useful link, thanks so much. Have t heard of an event opening at 8am in, well, years!
Brevet Cable wrote:
Thu 01 Sep 2022, 11:18 am
Timetable for the event : https://www.goodwood.com/motorsport/goo ... timetable/

As per GeeRam's post....3 displays on the Thursday, between 17:30 and about 18:30 ; A single 10-minute display on the Friday morning @ 08:00 ; Two 10-minute displays on the Saturday - 08:00 & 19:00 ; And a single 10-minute display on the Sunday morning @ 08:00

Sophielovestea

Post by Sophielovestea »

Does anyone have any hot tips for other places to see exciting aircraft? I have a small boy who is aviation obsessed! Live on the south coast.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

I think once the racing stops anyone can walk without a ticket in so Saturday 1900 next to the runway. I was lucky enough to get a free ticket 3 years ago and there was a long and impressive display by 2 Spitfires and a Mustang on Saturday evening

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Sophielovestea wrote:
Fri 02 Sep 2022, 7:51 am
Does anyone have any hot tips for other places to see exciting aircraft? I have a small boy who is aviation obsessed! Live on the south coast.
You can go and watch the flying at most airfields, some may have viewing facilities or cafes. I there any preference - military, warbirds, airliners etc?

The Bournemouth airshow is on today and this weekend.

https://bournemouthair.co.uk/
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Sophielovestea

Post by Sophielovestea »

wow that is lucky! Fantastic. I definitely need to do some research and get some times and dates lined up!
Zoom wrote:
Fri 02 Sep 2022, 8:00 am
I think once the racing stops anyone can walk without a ticket in so Saturday 1900 next to the runway. I was lucky enough to get a free ticket 3 years ago and there was a long and impressive display by 2 Spitfires and a Mustang on Saturday evening

Sophielovestea

Post by Sophielovestea »

Any and all I think would be appropriate! I think we’ll definitely be going up north via Anglesey at some point but it’s extremely out of the way! There’s also a place in Lincoln I think?
We have family in Manchester, so LOVE the viewing space at the airport there complete with cafe, shop and playground! Would really love to catch some military jets though.
There was supposed to be a warbird fly past along the coast a couple of weeks ago, even found the NOTAM for it (learning new thing every day!) but the flight path changed, it was in the middle of the heatwave, so it didn’t come past us in the end!

Is there a place where I can find an easy to understand directory of places outside of events?

Also just to add this is SUCH a helpful forum! Thanks so much.
LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Fri 02 Sep 2022, 8:33 am
Sophielovestea wrote:
Fri 02 Sep 2022, 7:51 am
You can go and watch the flying at most airfields, some may have viewing facilities or cafes. I there any preference - military, warbirds, airliners etc?

The Bournemouth airshow is on today and this weekend.

https://bournemouthair.co.uk/

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Sophielovestea wrote:
Fri 02 Sep 2022, 7:50 am
Super useful link, thanks so much. Have t heard of an event opening at 8am in, well, years!
The on track racing starts at 9am and there is a track noise curfew at 5pm or thereabouts, with a special dispensation for the eve races on Fri and Saturday only....there's a lot to get in each day, and if they could start earlier than 8am they would do!
The traffic queues start at before 7am to get in the car parks.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Sophielovestea wrote:
Fri 02 Sep 2022, 8:53 am
Is there a place where I can find an easy to understand directory of places outside of events?
Also just to add this is SUCH a helpful forum! Thanks so much.

You are unlikely to find any such relevant guide to external viewing spots as most, if not all such locations are now legally closed for the duration of the Flying portion/s of the Event. Due to the enhanced safety requirements demanded of Event Organisers for any Aviation content at any type of event, especially actual Airshows, the opportunities for nearby external event viewing are virtually non-existent these days. You are probably familiar with the fact that all aircraft routing into the Eastbourne Seafront Show are now ordered NOT to fly around Beach Head to prevent the hundreds of people gathering there as a secondary crowd who could also fall off the Cliff. (I love Health & Safety NOT!) Following the Shoreham Hunter crash in 2015 the Regulatory bodies have added fairly onerous conditions onto Flying Display Directors to try & prevent another such life threatening episode. This primarily seeks to avoid the popular congregation of persons (aka. Freeloaders!) outside the event boundaries forming what they refer to as a 'Secondary Crowd' over & above the Primary Crowd of Paying Public within the event who are adequately protected from most (BUT not all?) possible life-threatening scenarios. Anybody advising you where to stand within the CAA designated 'Sterile Area' is therefore aiding & abetting your lawbreaking & a contributor to anything untoward that occurs to you in pursuit of such advice! That said, if you can find a suitable spot by your own means, then ce la vie. :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil: Stay Lucky!

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Sophielovestea wrote:
Fri 02 Sep 2022, 8:46 am
wow that is lucky! Fantastic. I definitely need to do some research and get some times and dates lined up!
Zoom wrote:
don't quote me on this but that's my experience from 2004 last time I attended without a ticket; they are so concerned with getting everyone out and back to their vehicles that they don't stop anyone walking in.
You may also be able to use the car park but it's generally all people leaving and the local lanes will be 100% geared up for this with appropriate one way / closed roads which you must respect. They even "prohibit" people walking along these lanes which I don't think is legal although sensible! there are a lot of idiots who feel the need to emulate what they have watched on the track that day

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Zoom wrote:
Tue 06 Sep 2022, 8:28 pm
Sophielovestea wrote:
Fri 02 Sep 2022, 8:46 am
Zoom wrote:
don't quote me on this but that's my experience from 2004 last time I attended without a ticket; they are so concerned with getting everyone out and back to their vehicles that they don't stop anyone walking in.
The Revival organisation and event setup has changed a hell of a lot since 2004....!
Its nothing like that now.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

GeeRam wrote:
Tue 06 Sep 2022, 9:01 pm
The Revival organisation and event setup has changed a hell of a lot since 2004....!
Its nothing like that now.
OK I'll change my reply to the OP

The airshow or flypast is arranged solely for the benefit of ticket holders to the event. There are several restrictions on the narrow access roads around the area which make it very difficult for non participants to access the area especially after the racing finishes.

You might get a view from outside the venue on public footpaths (of which there are not many) but I would not recommend walking along any roads at that time