Post by Pen Pusher »

The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow 2022 - 10th & 11th September

Post by UKTopgun »

Re the airshow, a pity they are prioritising money over respect.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

UKTopgun wrote:
Thu 08 Sep 2022, 6:39 pm
Poorly judged in my opinion, if indeed it's the case. The country is in deep mourning for goodness sake.
It's not like it's taking place on the day of the funeral. I did see that football matches and indeed some theatre has been cancelled so I did think this might be too but I'm glad it hasn't been. Personally, I don't think anything should be cancelled.

I still think it's possible for those who want to pay their respects to do so, I'd be surprised if there was a minute's silence but if that isn't enough for you personally, then don't go and mourn privately.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

UKTopgun wrote:
Thu 08 Sep 2022, 6:57 pm
Royal Air Force Museums are closing for just the one day - tomorrow, have a go at them.

DfG on Facebook

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

A museum's standard opening is not comparable to an airshow. PP I realise you see IWM as beyond criticism but some things are bigger than airshows imho.

If the Premier League can call off the weekends games, why can't DX act in same way?

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Thu 08 Sep 2022, 7:10 pm
UKTopgun wrote:
Royal Air Force Museums are closing for just the one day - tomorrow, have a go at them.
I seem to have missed this? Duxford closed tomorrow? Or do you mean have a go at them tomorrow?

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

UKTopgun wrote:
Thu 08 Sep 2022, 7:25 pm
A museum's standard opening is not comparable to an airshow. PP I realise you see IWM as beyond criticism but some things are bigger than airshows imho.

If the Premier League can call off the weekends games, why can't DX act in same way?
I don't see why either should have to. In this case you're not being forced to go if you personally feel that you should be mourning. You can do that. IWM Duxford can conduct a minute's silence, which I'm sure they will. People can make their own mind up whether or not they feel they want to go based on what's happened.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

UKTopgun wrote:
The premier league haven’t called off this weekend’s games.

At least, not yet.

If it was me making the decision I wouldn’t call anything off, I would carry on, as life carries on, acknowledging with a period of silence etc. Naturally most of us wish to pay our respects.

But I don’t make the decision. If it’s off I’ll have to respect that.

For those who feel they can’t go that option is available to you, but for me, I’d rather life didn’t come to a halt.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

I will mark my respect to Her Majesty by visiting her former BAe 146 ZE701 at IWM Duxford on Saturday.....

Jimbo27

Post by Jimbo27 »

IWM Duxford are in a very difficult position. The right decision is to cancel the event, it just is. It's the Monarch, the very head of our society, the picture on the money. However, the impact of COVID I'm sure is still being felt, I'm sure they are desperate to raise their funds, and I suspect it is very unlikely that they have been able to get insurance cover for cancellation in the event of the Queen's death. I know of other events that tried and failed. They will have incurred lots of costs already that they can't recover. I do sympathise with them.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Jimbo you get it and I agree it's a tricky position for IWM on the eve of the event. But the right thing to do is the right thing to do.
Respect needs to be shown. An airshow with all that comes with it just feels wrong this weekend. And yes I have a ticket. Anyway, IWM will do what they do but it's sad that's all.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Jimbo27 wrote:
Thu 08 Sep 2022, 8:26 pm
IWM Duxford are in a very difficult position. The right decision is to cancel the event, it just is. It's the Monarch, the very head of our society, the picture on the money. However, the impact of COVID I'm sure is still being felt, I'm sure they are desperate to raise their funds, and I suspect it is very unlikely that they have been able to get insurance cover for cancellation in the event of the Queen's death. I know of other events that tried and failed. They will have incurred lots of costs already that they can't recover. I do sympathise with them.
I certainly don't agree with you. I don't think it would be the right decision to cancel. I'm certainly not an ardent monarchist, so maybe it's difficult for me to fully understand, if this is important enough for someone that they don't wish to attend the event anymore, they don't have to. The IWM have said they will fly their flags at half mast and be a book if remembrance, I'd also be shocked if there wasn't a minutes silence. If that still isn't respectful enough, then anyone can make their own mind up not to attend the event and mourn however they wish to mourn.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

UKTopgun wrote:
Thu 08 Sep 2022, 8:35 pm
Jimbo you get it and I agree it's a tricky position for IWM on the eve of the event. But the right thing to do is the right thing to do.
Respect needs to be shown. An airshow with all that comes with it just feels wrong this weekend. And yes I have a ticket. Anyway, IWM will do what they do but it's sad that's all.
It's only the right thing to do for some. It isn't the right thing to do. Respect can still be shown. I take it therefore you don't believe the measures are enough, if the only thing you believe to be right is to cancel, and won't be attending the event?

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Don't suppose anyone has a spare parking pass for Saturday do they ? :D

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

You might be lucky if anybody is intent on not attending due to Thursday's news? All those calling for cancellation please consider the following. This weekend's show is in respect of the Battle of Britain. An event which cost the Lives of many & to that end the Show must go on!
Yes, we have lost our Monarch after a long life of splendid service to our Country, but we have another Monarch in the wings waiting to take over. It is never great when someone passes, but The Queen had a good innings, unlike the men & women who lost their lives in preserving the freedom of this Country for Queen Elizabeth II to reign over so magnificently. Let this weekend be a celebration by remembering all those that contributed to the life we have today? Onwards & upwards! :wink:

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Jimbo27 wrote:
Thu 08 Sep 2022, 8:26 pm
The right decision is to cancel the event, it just is.
Correction: you feel that the right decision is to cancel the event. You are not the moral voice of the nation.

If you wish to mourn, nobody could or should stop you, but this is a constitutional Monarchy, not an absolute one.

I can't wait for the show, where I will remember the many ordinary people that gave their lives for this Country, not the 96 year old who had a long and happy life of luxury. I will respectfully observe any silences or tributes, but you can't dictate to me how I should feel.
Last edited by G-CVIX on Fri 09 Sep 2022, 5:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

UKTopgun wrote:
Respect can and will be shown, but you have to accept that many people are not as affected as you seem to be. Presumably you won't be attending?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

UKTopgun wrote:
PP I realise you see IWM as beyond criticism but some things are bigger than airshows imho.
Just because I go to Duxford a lot doesn't mean I see Duxford as beyond criticism, and as I've said on here before, I've criticised the museum to staff while at the museum and don't even assume you think you know what I think.

As you are complaining about 'prioritising money over respect' I suppose you want trains, buses', shops and anything else that uses money to shut down for the next 10 days.

What's the odds on the Rail union bosses calling off their strike's over the next few weeks.

DfG on Facebook

Post by 5944 »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 6:02 am
UKTopgun wrote:
PP I realise you see IWM as beyond criticism but some things are bigger than airshows imho.
Just because I go to Duxford a lot doesn't mean I see Duxford as beyond criticism, and as I've said on here before, I've criticised the museum to staff while at the museum and don't even assume you think you know what I think.

As you are complaining about 'prioritising money over respect' I suppose you want trains, buses', shops and anything else that uses money to shut down for the next 10 days.

What's the odds on the Rail union bosses calling off their strike's over the next few weeks.
Next week's strikes got binned about an hour after the announcement of the Queen's passing.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 6:02 am
UKTopgun wrote:

The strikes are off, your point is?

And comparing essential services to an entertainment event is nonsense.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

UKTopgun wrote:
Our best friends’ daughter is getting married at 12.30 today; should she have postponed her wedding?

Edit.
Before you attempt to argue that it’s different, it palpably isn’t because all the money for the reception would be forfeit - apart from flowers, cars etc.

HM Queen Elizabeth II was the epitome of the phrase Keep Calm and Carry On.
Last edited by iainpeden on Fri 09 Sep 2022, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

JMC

Post by JMC »

UKTopgun wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 6:59 am
[quote="Pen Pusher" post_id=928907 time=<a href="tel:1662703320">1662703320</a> user_id=340]
[quote=UKTopgun post_id=928874 time=<a href="tel:1662665132">1662665132</a> user_id=12124]

[/quote]

And comparing essential services to an entertainment event is nonsense.
[/quote]

Feel free to give me your ticket then.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

UKTopgun wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 6:59 am
No point just trawling through the on-line papers last evening, I hadn't seen that mentioned anywhere.

DfG on Facebook

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

I can see a change of decision coming as Abingdon has cancelled their show.
...Rad shutters auto.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Abingdon get it. Take a look at their FB page, most comments there saying it's the right decision. It's about respect. That's it.