How many more to fly at the tattoo

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
davers

How many more to fly at the tattoo

Post by davers »

The tattoo is taking shape now so I as thinking two my self how many (Aprox) flying slots are left for the tattoo,i know it depends on the display day length.And what is it currently running at (aprox) in minutes,but i Thought it might make a good topic. :question: thanks

PeterR

Re: How many more to fly at the tattoo

Post by PeterR »

Wait and see, there's still at least two more updates.

Nobody will know what's flying when until Saturday 18th July... :smile:

StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Well, in my experience the display timings usually make it into the public domain a week or two before the event itself.

Ruislip Rustler

Post by Ruislip Rustler »

Well, in my experience the display timings usually make it into the public domain a week or two before the event itself.

Really....
Insert witty / sarcastic / uncalled for comment (* delete as applicable)

www.leezpics.com

Liveforriat

Post by Liveforriat »

During a moment of boredom over the weekend I went through my old RIAT programmes and by using the same approximate display times per display item attempted to fit in the display acts confirmed for this year into a 9:45 - 18:00 programme. The outcome was that there are only 2 - 3 empty slots avaliable so I think the display programme is pretty full!

Obvioulsy this is a pretty rough estimate.

Originally I just put the items in any old order just filling time slots but then I tried to get clever and arange it into a display that would actually work and be entertaining. In a limited way I got an idea of how diddiult it is to arrange a display to be entertaining for the public and I wasnt even having to take into account any operational factors. Once down on paper I have concluded that this years show has the makings of being a very good show with plenty of loud high energy displays!
Was once Liveforriat2007 but that wasnt a great year so Ive decided to simply live for RIAT period.

A40-BP

Post by A40-BP »

Well, in my experience the display timings usually make it into the public domain a week or two before the event itself

Personally, I Don't want to know! But thats just me. Wow thats funny>:butt:
With dumb bombs and retarded bomblets, why don't they just use stupid missiles?

A40-BP

Post by A40-BP »

Sorry, Thats funny> :butt:

jwarnerxh558

Post by jwarnerxh558 »

and i thought i was obsessed witht this show! :grin: :lol: lol

Liveforriat

Post by Liveforriat »

Haha

I was fully aware how sad the act was however I needed to give the impression of being busy as the other half was attempting to get me to accompany her shopping and there are not many levels that I wont stoop to to avoid that particular activity!!!

I am not ashamed :smile:
Was once Liveforriat2007 but that wasnt a great year so Ive decided to simply live for RIAT period.

A40-BP

Post by A40-BP »

I was fully aware how sad the act was however I needed to give the impression of being busy as the other half was attempting to get me to accompany her shopping and there are not many levels that I wont stoop to to avoid that particular activity!!!

Well said.

tomw94

Post by tomw94 »

Probally just a B-1 maybe another disaply team or another fast jet like a mig or f-16.

jetwash

Post by jetwash »

tomw94 wrote:Probally just a B-1 maybe another disaply team or another fast jet like a mig or f-16.

MiG, I wish!!!!

I would rather have, spanish tiffie or sea vixen rather than B-1!
Over enthusiastic aviation enthusiast!

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Spanish Tiffie was great last time, would love to see that added... :smile:

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Would like to see the Sea Vixen and Seafire to join in the Navy celebrations as well as a Polish MiG 29 display and maybe the Serbian Orao (with any luck, that may be the aircraft confirmed from the Serbs).

Gooze

Post by Gooze »

Why does everything neccesarily have to fly on the same day :question: ??

With 3 f-18's / 2 gripens etc they could always mix it up with more of one of each day. I've never seen a Riat programme where both days are identical :smile:

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

Gooze wrote:Why does everything neccesarily have to fly on the same day :question: ??

With 3 f-18's / 2 gripens etc they could always mix it up with more of one of each day. I've never seen a Riat programme where both days are identical :smile:

Good point- they've definitely done that with the Belgian/Dutch F-16s and I'm sure I recall Hungarian and Czech (Polish?) MiG-29s doing the same.
Ricoh Caplio R5

Sony A300 ('L' Plates Fitted)

tomw94

Post by tomw94 »

Still the B-1 for me and serbia or poland will bring something along hopefully

TomG

Post by TomG »

Gooze wrote:Why does everything neccesarily have to fly on the same day :question: ??

Look at it from this angle;

RIAT. Please bring your Carlos Fandango Fast Jet Mk.1 to RIAT, we'd love to see it in the flying display.
Operator. No problem, thanks for the invite we'd love to.
RIAT. But we only want you to fly on Saturday so we can have some variety on Sunday.
Operator. I'm not coming all the way from Timbuktu to only fly one day then sit on the ground for the other; thanks anyway.

It's the devil and the deep blue sea. If you want to attract the acts then getting them for two days is part and parcel of the deal.

And whilst both days are usually different in scheduling then, on the whole, the content is usually the same.

Tom

FlyingMachinesTV

Post by FlyingMachinesTV »

I'd love to see a Carlos Fandango Fast Jet Mk1 at RIAT,

st24

Post by st24 »

TomG wrote:

RIAT. Please bring your Carlos Fandango Fast Jet Mk.1 to RIAT, we'd love to see it in the flying display.
RIAT. But we only want you to fly on Saturday so we can have some variety on Sunday.
Operator. I'm not coming all the way from Timbuktu to only fly one day then sit on the ground for the other; thanks anyway.

It's the devil and the deep blue sea. If you want to attract the acts then getting them for two days is part and parcel of the deal.

And whilst both days are usually different in scheduling then, on the whole, the content is usually the same.

Tom

But didn't they schedule the Sarang team to fly only one day last year? - Thanks guys ! (Actually, after watching the practice, it was probably a good idea :biggrin: ) As said, over the years there have been some very tasty items on one day only - far more tasty than 95 million Hornets or 65 thousand Gripens...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

FlyingMachinesTV wrote:I'd love to see a Carlos Fandango Fast Jet Mk1 at RIAT,

Perhaps we should email him in text speak to ask if he is coming?

Liveforriat

Post by Liveforriat »

I think that it is only fair that if a country goes through the trouble and expense of sending an aircraft to display then all effort should be made to allow that aircraft to display both days.

If the aircraft cannot display both days due to other commitments then obviously that cannot be helped - I thnk this has happend with the French national display team on a few occasions before.

I think that on the occasions when RIAT have opted to have items display one day only this was soley due to the fact that they had too many display acts to fit into the time they had so they had no choice. That is not the case this year the acts fit perfectly into the standard display time so to limit the display days for certain aircraft just becsuase they have multiples of the same type in the programme would make no sense and would probably be seen as a negative move by the airforces who fall victim!

It has to be remembered that at the beginning of the planning process each year RIAT send out blanket invitations to airforces around the world. They have no real control over who accepts so if they get 3 hornets they get 3 hornets they cant very well turn the offers down as this would obviously go against them in subsequent years, id rather 3 hornets than 0 hornets any day of the week.

Also remember the display is 8 - 9 hours long I suspect a Hornet will open the display then therell be one in the middle and one near the end, even if you have already seen 2 youll appreciate the third especially if it falls after the TBM :)

I personally see no problem with multiple displays from the same airframe the displays are always different and you get a nice view of what the aircraft can do in the hands of different pilots. The Hungarian Gripen display is vastly different to that of the Swedish as is the Swiss Hornet from the Spanish.

Im sure people would not be so quick to complain and limit display time if there were 2 mig 29s and 3 su27s displaying!!

This years display is shaping up to be a high energy, loud , afterburner packed event and I for one am looking forward to it as much as any other year.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Liveforriat wrote: The Hungarian Gripen display is vastly different to that of the Swedish .

Have you seen it? Is it as good as the Czech one?

But your sentiments are right. :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Liveforriat

Post by Liveforriat »

Ooops my mistake :oops: saw the Czech one last year not the Hungarian!!

As you said though I belive the point was valid :smile:

TomG

Post by TomG »

st24 wrote:
TomG wrote:

Tom

But didn't they schedule the Sarang team to fly only one day last year? - Thanks guys ! (Actually, after watching the practice, it was probably a good idea :biggrin: ) As said, over the years there have been some very tasty items on one day only - far more tasty than 95 million Hornets or 65 thousand Gripens...

The scenario was offered as to why certain acts may choose not to attend to fly on one day only - yes, there have been and will continue to be displays where they display on one day only and that may well be a gesture of goodwill from a particular operator. However I would still wager that a request to display on one day only of a two day show is not met with enthusiasm. The Pat de France have usually had one day of displaying when the second day has dicatated that they display back home for Bastille Day.

I think Liveforriat is spot on in that we wouldn't be hearing all these comments if it was a selection of Migs or Sukhois displaying.......complacent chaps? Possibly :biggrin:

Cheers, Tom