Some more Victors...

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
Mad Dan

Some more Victors...

Post by Mad Dan »

Fred Martin's wonderful set of Victor images certainly got me thinking - and I suspect that I may well have been standing next to you on a few occasions, Fred. The Coningsby one is almost identical to a shot in my collection and some of the Marham ones remind me of a rather splendid photocall there more years ago than I care to contemplate. Anyway, prompted by Fred's selection, I thought I'd put a few up - nothing like as many, but I hope they are of interest.

Starting with a shot of XL512 waiting for trade somewhere over the North Sea...

And following up with another portraying XL512 in company with a pair of little friends from 'Treble-One'.

Next up is XH671 moving out for a refuelling task from Bahrain shortly after the end of the first Gulf War.

The next three all come from the final Media Call that was staged out of Marham on 15 October 1993 - even though there weren't too many Victors left by then, they still put on a great show. These were all taken from a RAF Herk photo platform and begin with a three-ship headed by XH672.

Backlit shot of one of the trio accompanied by a Tornado GR.1..

And, finally, from the ramp, a somewhat different perspective on Handley Page's classic. I think the plan was to do a slow pass under the Herk several times, but in the end it only happened once and I was lucky enough to be on the ramp at the right time.

I'll finish off with a couple of drag chute shots. Firstly, an unidentified example heading back to dispersal at Marham.

And, finally, XM715 when it arrived at Bruntingthorpe on what has since turned out to be its penultimate flight. This was the last but one Victor to fly out of Marham and used the radio call sign 'Victor Meldrew' - I think the very last flight took place a few days later, to Cosford if memory serves me well. Anyway, there's a bit of a story to this - on that day, the Victor jettisoned his drag chute a few moments after this picture was taken. Soon after, it was followed into Bruntingthorpe by a Canberra, but nobody seemed to have thought about clearing the drag chute which was still fouling the taxiway. I was there with two or three other photographers and between us we just about managed to pull the parachute clear and assume the position with our cameras as the Canberra took the same exit from the runway. I don't know if the final Victor flight (which took place a few days later) also used a braking parachute, but I still claim credit for helping remove the chute after one of the final flights. And I don't mind telling you that it was heavy...bloody heavy indeed...

I am not a loony... I used to be, but I think I am better now...

Rick

Re: Some more Victors...

Post by Rick »

Fantastic images the lot :clap:
Got any more, would love to see them.
The trio one is just :topbombing:

Rickl
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Fantastic set, thanks for posting :clap: :clap:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Great stuff, love the ramp shot.

I seem to recall the Victor went to Shawbury, was dismantled, taken to Cosford and re-assembled. But 16 years is a long time to forget. :grin:

Of the last six, the Gulf War collection if you like, three survived Cosford, Bruntingthorpe and Elvington with three sadly condemned to fire training :sad:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

F-86

Post by F-86 »

capercaillie wrote:Great stuff, love the ramp shot.

I seem to recall the Victor went to Shawbury, was dismantled, taken to Cosford and re-assembled. But 16 years is a long time to forget. :grin:

Of the last six, the Gulf War collection if you like, three survived Cosford, Bruntingthorpe and Elvington with three sadly condemned to fire training :sad:

16 years is a long time to forget. :grin:
There were seven operational Victors in the end. Three were preserved, three for BDR at various locations and one broken up at Marham with the nose going to Hendon.

donnysecondo

Post by donnysecondo »

ABSOLUTELY BLOODY FANTASTIC HOSKINS OLD BOY ,LOVE THE SHUTE SHOTS :topbombing: :topbombing:

vulcan55

Post by vulcan55 »

:rock: :rock: what a lovely set of photos of british history well done shame we have not one flying :clap: :clap:

CH2

Post by CH2 »

A great collection.

I have never seen the angle looking down onto the aircraft, a real classic of a photograph. :clap: :clap:
Cheers,

Chris

barkin mad

Post by barkin mad »

CH2 wrote:I have never seen the angle looking down onto the aircraft, a real classic of a photograph.

Agreed, shows off the wing shape perfectly. Lovely set. :drool:

-------------------------

elderforest

Post by elderforest »

Cracking stuff. Brings back lots of memories ... I remember watching the Victors launch from Marham in pairs for the last Elder Joust exercise - they were only half full with fuel due to fatigue limitations, hence the two ship. Two of the launch windows crossed so the sight of 4 Victors coming down the taxyway was fantastic !

Happy days.
Ian.
(elderforest).

Koen L

Post by Koen L »

Terrific shots and I love the stories you always include with your pictures.

Koen

Russ

Post by Russ »

Tremendous set Lindsay. Would love to see some more from your collection. :clap: :cool: :drool:

Alpha462

Post by Alpha462 »

Blue Spear all the way...my Dad's last squadron tour.