Shoreham Airshow

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
pompeyfan1982

Shoreham Airshow

Post by pompeyfan1982 »

Hi all went to Shoreham airshow yesterday thought it was good and as I live just down the road im seeing some of the aircraft fly over on the way to Shoreham and back to Bournemouth. Took the whole week off work so I could spend 2 days at Bournemouth as well so a great week and the weather seems to have brightened up! Getting a free show from the house. The hawk has just given us a treat! :yahoo:

pompeyfan1982

Re: Shoreham Airshow

Post by pompeyfan1982 »

:yahoo: :yahoo: :topbombing: :topbombing:
The Typhoon has just flew over the house. Did a nice flypast the put his afterburners on and shook the windows. Superb!! :drool:

timuss

Post by timuss »

Yeah i went yesterday really enjoyed it, even suffering a nice sunburn, just sorting out my pictures.

1st post on the new board very nice it is to.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

garyb50

Post by garyb50 »

hello all, did any1 go today to the show? if so would be interested to hear how busy it was ivo the complete change of weather from Saturday, if i remember it was the same last year, brilliant weather on the Saturday, and lousy on Sunday.

gary

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

garyb50 wrote:any1

Don't you mean... Anyone

UKAR Rules
4) Text (“txt”) speak will not be tolerated anywhere on the forums! Any offending posts will be deleted or amended, repeated offenders will be warned.

:wink:

timuss

Post by timuss »

Nice thunderstorm this morning over Lancing, with all that damp air i bet there was lots of vapour coming off the fast jets, wondered that as i was sat at the laptop with the scanner on hearing the typhoon, wish i had gone and had a look now :drool:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner

garyb50

Post by garyb50 »

Jumbojet380 wrote:
garyb50 wrote:any1

Don't you mean... Anyone

UKAR Rules
4) Text (“txt”) speak will not be tolerated anywhere on the forums! Any offending posts will be deleted or amended, repeated offenders will be warned.

:wink:

:oops: my sincere apologies

flybynight

Post by flybynight »

garyb50 wrote:hello all, did any1 go today to the show? if so would be interested to hear how busy it was ivo the complete change of weather from Saturday, if i remember it was the same last year, brilliant weather on the Saturday, and lousy on Sunday.

gary

The rain stopped and the clouds lifted to allow the show to start on time but at 3.30pm the clag came in preventing the Yakalovs their full display and the scramble got curtailed. I left at 4.15 assuming that nothing else would fly?

Five Team Guinots were a nice treat, but for me the Typhoon stole the show. It certainly stopped the traffic on the A27 :grin:

Hurn

Post by Hurn »

Sounds like we had better weather just down the coast at Bournemouth on Sunday.

The Blades and team Guinot were transiting to the airshow to display but got caught in bad weather and had to turn back to Shoreham apparently.

Shame, because even though it was very low cloud and visibility at B/mth, it was dry and everything else displayed.

Global warming eh! :whistle:

Steaming Ned

Post by Steaming Ned »

Saw this guy with a violin on the B25, anyone hear him play?

wv383

Post by wv383 »

The weather was gorgeous on Saturday - gin blue sky as the old term has it - though the wind was tricky on landing as several of the pilots found out! The BBMF fighters and several of the aircraft from the Scramble diverted to Goodwood. The Scramble aircraft returned on Saturday evening when the wind dropped. BBMF did not and paid the pric as they were solidly stuck when Goodwood flooded in the thunderstorm.

Sunday the rain severely dampened matters in the morning - and also kept the crowds down (but given that Satuday was packed with 20 to 30 deep in some places on the crowd line when I walked along airside on a couple of occasions, perhaps not a bad thing!). However the flying, with many amendments, did go ahead. Loads of vapour off the Typhoon and prop wash off some surprising aircraft with the damp humid atmosphere. The blades did indeed return to Shoreham but Team Guinot did not. In fact the other three left just in time to beat the weather but I've no idea how far they got! Several aircraft also left to try and make Little Gransden. Peter Teichman managed it, but the rest had to turn back. The final thing that flew in the display was Guy Westgate who, on landing, said that the cloud was down to 550ft! The only depatrures were the Brabant Mitchell, Falcons C130K and perhaps surprisingly the Tutor. Everything that was VFR was stuck - not only did the college disappear in the murk but so did the A27 at the end of the runway at one point! Looking at the webcam now (1555hrs Monday) it would appear that everything except the Bf108 has now departed.

Finally, thanks to everyone who supported the show. It certainly seems that everyone enjoyed it. Plans will be under way soon to start the preparation for the 20th RAFA Shoreham Airshow in 2009!
Simon

timuss

Post by timuss »

Really enjoyed Saturday a great day, amazing weather and a great display from Shoreham hats off to everyone involved. Easily one of the best if not the best Shoreham airshow for many years. Im already looking forward to next year 20th anniversary show hopefully they can get some really special participants and the Vulcan. Well done to all involved :clap: :clap: :clap:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

wv383 wrote: In fact the other three left just in time to beat the weather but I've no idea how far they got! Several aircraft also left to try and make Little Gransden. Peter Teichman managed it, but the rest had to turn back.

The Vacher Hurricane managed to get to LG, the commentator was incorrect. I text a friend to say they had lost it due to clagg but it was displaying at LG the very moment my text was read. I do not know why it returned back to Shoreham later. It was probably unable to go anywhere else afterwoods.

There is a pic in another forum showing it on the ground at LG.

Thanks

Martin
Last edited by SEMAE on Mon 01 Sep 2008, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wv383

Post by wv383 »

When I was ther at the end of Sunday it was the HAC Hurricane XII that returned not the Vacher Mk.I
Simon

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

wv383 wrote:When I was ther at the end of Sunday it was the HAC Hurricane XII that returned not the Vacher Mk.I

Thank you.

I better check my pics!

Brilliant show. I enjoyed it both days. Great flying. Well done to all who organised and put on such a good display.

Cheers

Martin

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Shoreham was fantastic! Went both days and took way too many pics!

Can't wait for 2009. :biggrin:

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

First participation up on flightline!! :D

GWDT at Shoreham will be fantastic!!

timuss

Post by timuss »

Here's hoping for some big annoucments for the 20th Anniverasry year, i would love to Sally B back at Shoreham, and lots of fast jets :biggrin:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner

garyb50

Post by garyb50 »

potentially the Reds will be displaying at Shoreham for the first time, (saturday only) according to Flightline

see here

http://www.airshows.org.uk/2009/airshow ... eview.html

timuss

Post by timuss »

garyb50 wrote:potentially the Reds will be displaying at Shoreham for the first time, (saturday only) according to Flightline

see here

I didn't think they were allowed to display at Shoreham, great news if this has now changed though :drool:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner

timuss

Post by timuss »

Red's only a fly past now, i thought that wold be the case i don't think they are able to display at Shorehm unfortunatley :sad:

Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner

wv383

Post by wv383 »

Let me set the record straight regarding the Red Arrows at Shoreham this year. The team visited the venue some months ago and spent a long time assessing the situation. As far as they wee concerned it was all go to give a full display. With it being the 20th anniversary show, they piulled out all the stops to ensure that it could be a full display and really wanted to do it. In fact they were determined to do it. It was all geared up to be a headline in the publicity which is due to go out very soon with feature photographs in the leaflets and on the posters. Now the CAA have said no. they won't authorise the display area! So the full display is off from the Reds, much to their displeasure due to the time and effort that they expended to get it approved, I would add. They will however definitely be taking part with at least a couple of passes each day and they are trying to make those passes a bit more special than just straight fly-bys. Just how special no one knows at the moment. Hope that answers any questions.
Simon

timuss

Post by timuss »

That is a shame it would have been great to have the Red's at Shoreham with a display. Thanks for setting the record straight. Is that decision final then no chance of them changing it at all?
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner

wv383

Post by wv383 »

As far as the CAA are concerned it is definitely final no argument. The organisers of the show did everything and more to try and get the CAA to change their mind but they wouldn't shift. Then again they are looking at it ultimately from a safety point of view so we have to respect it. The show organisers have now moved on an apart from what Paul has put on Flightline, the full official announcements are due very shortly. Of course even then things can change week by week. Whatever happens, this year's show will be an outstanding tribute for the 20th anniversary and will do more than full justice to Shoreham's ever growing reputation as a show with a generous mix and a great family day out woth of course yet more funds going to RAFA. Although I am now doing more shows these days, Shoreham is my total favourite and it is always with regret that I leave at the end of the Sunday and have to wait another year for the next one.
Simon

timuss

Post by timuss »

Yes having the Red's at Shoreham would have been something very special its a shame but hopefully some nice acts have been lined up to display and hints and clues as to what else is coming :grin: :biggrin:
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner