Shuttleworth Collection Training Week through Elliott's lens

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
EMarsh

Shuttleworth Collection Training Week through Elliott's lens

Post by EMarsh »

That was a bit good. I could only manage the Wednesday and Friday due to work commitments, but nonetheless, I had a Hell of a time. Wednesday was wall-to-wall action from about 9.30am 'til gone 5.30pm. As a vintage aircraft enthusiast, I can't really ask for more! Friday felt colder, and the training week had pretty much wrapped up save for the ANEC displaying and a few passenger flights from the Chipmunk and Magister, but it was significant for the FW44's last display in the UK before being shipped off to the 'States. Indeed, it departed OW once Rob Millinship had wrapped up a lovely display (full of top sides and close passes) and will soon be boxed up, heading for sunnier skies. Also good to meet Nick, Rob and Ben for the first time.

Anyway, on with the pics. More at http://www.flickr.com/photos/esmarsh. In no particular order...

1. The beautiful Parnell Elf. A work of art, if ever I saw one.

2. Without the engineers, ground crew and volunteers, none of this would happen. My hat is off to all of them.

3. The lovely Pegs, without doubt my favourite warbird on the scene at present. What a treat it was to see her on Wednesday.

4. Paul Stone takes the Piston Provost for a spin.

5. The FW44 will certainly be missed.

6. Keith Dennison positively tore the house down on Wednesday evening with a storming, passionate Sea Hurricane display.

7. I'm rather fond of the ugly duckling that is the Pietenpol Aircamper. There's a certain charm to it, I feel.

8. Peter Holloway in the Magister leads Steve Roberts and Tracey Curtiss-Taylor in a three-ship trainer formation routine.

10. Old Warden always presents a nice back-drop for lower passes (or, in this case, a take-off).

11. Can we have some of that blue sky for the rest of the season, please?

12. Dodge Bailey escaping the Chipmunk.

13. Rob Millinship's Pitts Special.

14. The ANEC returns after an absence of several years.

15. Jim Schofield (thanks Rob!) departing in the Tiger Moth. The houses over the far side provide an interesting back-drop to some take-off shots.

16. Sir John Allison brings the Elf back to Earth.

17. Just lovely!

18. The Chipmunk performing the popular ribbon pick-up routine.

19. I make no apologies for the amount of FW44 in these shots.

20. ...or Provost, for that matter!

21. Hair cutting landing from the Pup.

22. Same with the Elf - look at the reflection in the spinner!

23. "Dagling" departure.

24. PT's mount at rest.

25. PT-22 break.

26. Excuse the dust spot, uploaded this one without editing... One of my most viewing images on Flickr, interestingly - and it's only been up for 48 hours!

28. Travor Roche and Dave McKay preparing for their displays in the Sopwith duo.

29. Willy Hackett relaxes before taking the "Dagling" aloft.

Damn, one short of a clean 30. Nevermind!

Thanks for looking - C&C's always appreciated. :smile:
Last edited by EMarsh on Fri 16 Apr 2010, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Leigh

Re: Shuttleworth Collection Training Week through Elliott's lens

Post by Rob Leigh »

Elliot, a good bag. I think that 15 looks more like Jim Schofield than Willy Hackett.

baseleg

Post by baseleg »

Excellent varied collection - well done.

Can't wait to see the ANEC finally fly this season.

Kokpit

Post by Kokpit »

I'm not a lover of the 'front end' shots, but you've certainly caught the atmosphere of Old Warden there Elliot. What's more, you have some superb people shots captured, egressing pilot and laid out engineers are my favourites.

Furthermore, that shot of the Pitts is stunning! I saw it on two seperate occasions this week and marvelled at the paint scheme, you have caught it exceptionally well :clap:

A great set, thanks for sharing.

Kev.

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Kokpit wrote:I'm not a lover of the 'front end' shots, but you've certainly caught the atmosphere of Old Warden there Elliot. What's more, you have some superb people shots captured, egressing pilot and laid out engineers are my favourites.

Furthermore, that shot of the Pitts is stunning! I saw it on two seperate occasions this week and marvelled at the paint scheme, you have caught it exceptionally well :clap:

A great set, thanks for sharing.

Kev.

Thanks Kev - one of the drawbacks of the 400 prime is that, at a place like OW, you don't have much choice with the close-cropped shots for aircraft taking off and landing! Well, not from the position I was in for much of the day (far right of the field). Easier from the tower end. If I can do it without breaking the bank, I'd ideally like to balance the 400 with the 70-200mm f2.8 to give me more flexibility. :smile:

Lomcevak26

Post by Lomcevak26 »

E - you've surpassed yourself with these: some really great shots in here.

FW-44's last display? What about Biggin...?!

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Lomcevak26 wrote:FW-44's last display? What about Biggin...?!

Peter Holloway's example flew straight from OW to Skysport Engineering's base to be disassembled. Unless the Collection have another FW44 lying around somewhere... :sad:

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Elliot, i'm sorry I didn't come and say hi :loser: I was only there until about 1, as I had to leave, however I do believe I saw you today. Were you the chap in the creamy colourled fleece? :whistle:
Don't worry I will meet you this year at some point :ninja:
Oh and I really enjoyed looking through your set, very nice :clap:

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

jimbob1194 wrote:Elliot, i'm sorry I didn't come and say hi :loser: I was only there until about 1, as I had to leave, however I do believe I saw you today. Were you the chap in the creamy colourled fleece? :whistle:

James

I was the 17 year old in the bright green hoodie. You might have seen me loitering at various points throughout the day.

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Random wrote:
jimbob1194 wrote:Elliot, i'm sorry I didn't come and say hi :loser: I was only there until about 1, as I had to leave, however I do believe I saw you today. Were you the chap in the creamy colourled fleece? :whistle:

James

I was the 17 year old in the bright green hoodie. You might have seen me loitering at various points throughout the day.

Sorry Random, I can't remember if I saw you, if it helps, I was the 16 year old with the JVC Video Camera. Wearing a black Quicksliver jacket, and black jeans :biggrin:
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.