Off site viewing

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Rory76

Off site viewing

Post by Rory76 »

Does anybody know if there is anywhere in the area that offers good views of the displays from off site? I'm going to be attending one show day, but was considering heading down to watch the other day from a different angle. I'm looking for somewhere that can be reached without getting caught in the worst of the traffic, and am not averse to having to walk a mile or two to get there- as long as it's on proper footpaths.

cheers in advance
Ricoh Caplio R5

Sony A300 ('L' Plates Fitted)

jwarnerxh558

Re: Off site viewing

Post by jwarnerxh558 »

you could always check out Rhymes farm or totterdown farm.
Rhymes is where the crowd of people are along the northen taxiway and totterdown is the hill behind the hangers.
ive never been to these, but am planning on goin to Rhymes myself
HTH Jonathan

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

cheers for that Jonathan, anyone got any idea of where the nearest place to park is in the area- ideally using roads unaffected by the RIAT road closure/ traffic management schemes?
Ricoh Caplio R5

marauder

Post by marauder »

hiya, you can drive straight on to rhymes farm park and view, think its about 10 or 15 quid this yr but you wont get a better spot, the planes fly directly overhead and very low, toilets and food available. also they taxi right by you and the pilots wave, its cool. see you there. marauder, blue 4x4 pajero

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

Cheers for that fellas. Is the best way to get there just to follow the airshow routes, or is there a better way in?
Ricoh Caplio R5

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Can someone confirm, If you camp at Totterdown you can walk to Rymes farm and go in the field for free?

Or have I dreamt that up??

Cheers

Andy

marauder

Post by marauder »

that has always been the case in previous yrs, you walk down through the campsite and was free last time i camped there, if not its certainly worth the money just to pay on the gate but get there early it soon fillls up, you can get breakfast and a cuppa on site and prepare for the feast of aircraft and friendly enthusiasts who attend. i get there around 6am/7am and there is plenty to observe. hopefully see you there, does anyone know if the vulcan will be there this year and cant wait to see the F22. marauder

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Andyph wrote:Can someone confirm, If you camp at Totterdown you can walk to Rymes farm and go in the field for free?

Or have I dreamt that up??

Cheers

Andy

I've heard this mentioned before, but having camped at Totterdown last year, I couldn't find any way to walk through to Rymes Farm. (Not without walking back through the town, that is!) I'd be interested to know if there is a way through though! :smile:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Haydn_

Post by Haydn_ »

I have never been to Totterdown or Rymes Farm before, Ive always been inside the airfield.
Im a sound recordist and I want to get some good aircraft recordings at RIAT this year, so Im hoping to find somewhere outside the base where there is less noise pollution. I do really like having commentary & music at airshows but it makes it very difficult to record sound :smile:

If anyone is driving to Rymes Farm on Sat & Sun and would be able to give me a lift please PM me (I live in Oxford)
I dont drive so I dont think I could get there by myself, but of course ill pay your petrol money!

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

Haydn_ wrote:If anyone is driving to Rymes Farm on Sat & Sun and would be able to give me a lift please PM me (I live in Oxford)
I dont drive so I dont think I could get there by myself,

It's doable (I did it last year)....Train to Swindon, bus to Fairford village then about a 45 minute walk to Rhymes farm (20 minutes if you blag a lift off someone going down the lane to the farm anyway :D)

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

Haydn_

Post by Haydn_ »

Mictheslik wrote:
Haydn_ wrote:
It's doable (I did it last year)....Train to Swindon, bus to Fairford village then about a 45 minute walk to Rhymes farm (20 minutes if you blag a lift off someone going down the lane to the farm anyway :D)

.mic

Hmm I hadnt thought of that, is it just a regular bus to fairford village? i.e. not the airshow bus?

45 minutes walk is nothing! I have walked far longer to record aeroplanes before :grin:

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

Haydn_ wrote:
Mictheslik wrote:
Haydn_ wrote:

.mic

Hmm I hadnt thought of that, is it just a regular bus to fairford village? i.e. not the airshow bus?

45 minutes walk is nothing! I have walked far longer to record aeroplanes before :grin:

Yeah I can't remember the number but it's on the net somewhere. Also don't know when the first one would leave on a Saturday or Sunday (I only used it on the Thursday and went inside at the weekend)

.mic

Haydn_

Post by Haydn_ »

Thanks mic :smile:

Geezer100

Post by Geezer100 »

I could be wrong, but when I used the bus in the past to get to Kempsford Camping, I heard the locals saying that the bus DOES NOT run on air-show days. Presumably for two reasons:
1: The traffic - imagine trying to keep to the timetable with all that traffic, I know it's heavy at times.
2: Road Closures/one way system - the police are not going to want to have to contend with a local bus service running every hour trying to go the wrong way in the traffic due to the one way system.
I believe the only bus running on air-show days is the shuttle bus, running to a special route.

Here's a link to the bus timetable anyway. http://www.stagecoachbus.com/GetUpload.ashx?Id=3680

postman1967

Post by postman1967 »

all i can say is that you are all a bunch of cheap skates that dont pay to go in the show. You are depriving the charities money but giving locals money who many dont need the money as much as the familes of the armed services and the flying for the disabled plus if we all did that there would not be a show. :wat:

Edited by moderator as per the rules:

3) You must use clear and legible English at all times. Some leeway is given if English is not your first language but please remember that this is a UK website. Moderators may alter or delete posts that don't make sense because of poor spelling and/or grammar.

If you struggle with spelling or the English language then we recommend that you download the Firefox web browser (http://www.getfirefox.com) and install the English (British) Dictionary (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3366) which will enable you to check your spelling as you type messages directly into the Message Board.

4) Text (“txt”) speak will not be tolerated anywhere on the forums! Any offending posts will be deleted or amended, repeated offenders will be warned.

Manonthefence

Post by Manonthefence »

And breathe.

Brummiekid

Post by Brummiekid »

Manonthefence wrote:And breathe.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Regan - "We're the Sweeney son and we haven't had any dinner"
http://www.totterdowncamping.co.uk

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

postman1967 wrote:all i can say is that you are all a bunch of cheap skates that dont pay to go in the show. You are depriving the charities money but giving locals money who many dont need the money as much as the familes of the armed services and the flying for the disabled plus if we all did that there would not be a show. :wat:

3) You must use clear and legible English at all times. Some leeway is given if English is not your first language but please remember that this is a UK website. Moderators may alter or delete posts that don't make sense because of poor spelling and/or grammar.

If you struggle with spelling or the English language then we recommend that you download the Firefox web browser (http://www.getfirefox.com) and install the English (British) Dictionary (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3366) which will enable you to check your spelling as you type messages directly into the Message Board.

4) Text (“txt”) speak will not be tolerated anywhere on the forums! Any offending posts will be deleted or amended, repeated offenders will be warned.

Personally, I'm looking at this as an extra day in addition to the day I spend at the show itself, a point I made very clear in my intital post. I wouldn't attend two days and am looking at this as a way of getting different angles on the displays than those that can be got from within the confines of the show itself. Nothing wrong with that as far as I see it, I'm not depriving RIAT of revenue as the second day would be spent elsewhere anyway.

:kiss:
Ricoh Caplio R5

225Mriya

Post by 225Mriya »

Not at all a cheapskate, I make a donation instead directly, plus there is room for another person to buy a ticket to get onto the airfield. Going into the airfield itself just doesnt interest me any more, its too much hassle. I'd rather have a chilled couple of days at Totterdown....anyone got the percentage of those who go into the airfield who actually payto do so - I'm at work and haven't got time to trawl through last years posts.
If only the F-35B could loose as much weight.....

AdamN

Post by AdamN »

I also wouldn't spend more than one day on base - nothing will have changed from the previous day, so it's pretty pointless. I'm not depriving anyone of any money by spending one day off base, because it's money I wouldn't have spent on the show, anyway.

Besides, it's far more interesting being directly under the display line.

RickIngham

Post by RickIngham »

Can anyone tell me what departures are like at Rhymes? I was down the bottom last year and they were way to far away for a decent shot.

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

RickIngham wrote:Can anyone tell me what departures are like at Rhymes? I was down the bottom last year and they were way to far away for a decent shot.

I've only been there for arrivals, but judging by the fact you're in the middle of the runway I'd guess that you'd be sorted regardless of runway in use :D

.mic

RickIngham

Post by RickIngham »

Thanks - i'm sure i could find a way to work with the sun too...

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

postman1967 wrote:all i can say is that you are all a bunch of cheap skates that dont pay to go in the show. You are depriving the charities money but giving locals money who many dont need the money as much as the familes of the armed services and the flying for the disabled plus if we all did that there would not be a show. :wat:

This guy should remember we are just getting over a recession.A lot of people have lost their jobs or are on short time so can only afford to go in the show one day.RIAT is probably the best airshow in the world but it is expensive compared to other shows although i know you cannot compare RIAT to other shows

Geezer100

Post by Geezer100 »

Yes - it's a good show, but it is expensive compared to Biggin for example.
Not everyone can afford to go into the actual airshow itself.