Fleet Air Arm GB - 1/72 Sea Hornet Finished

A forum for UKAR Group Builds
ArabJazzie

Fleet Air Arm GB - 1/72 Sea Hornet Finished

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi all,
Need a lie down now after posting this my fourth build for the current GBs. As this will be the hardest one being multi-media, i expect this one to run full term. A wee look while taking the pics gives me the impression this may turn out quite good if a little intensive at times.

So i bring you Special Hobbys 1/72 De Havilland DH.103 Sea Hornet built as VZ708/456-C, an F20 of 801sqn HMS Implacable.
Arabest,
Geoff.
Last edited by ArabJazzie on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Re: Fleet Air Arm GB - 1/72 Sea Hornet

Post by Deacon »

I do like the Hornet and will be interested to see how Special Hobby's kit goes together. :snack:

Alan

flying_medic

Post by flying_medic »

I've not been brave enough to attempt a Special Hobby kit so far, so I'll be sitting alongside Alan nicking his popcorn while watching this. :snack:

F_M

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

flying_medic wrote:I've not been brave enough to attempt a Special Hobby kit so far, so I'll be sitting alongside Alan nicking his popcorn while watching this. :snack:

F_M

I did the Sea Fury and i think it turned out to be a cracker! Only thing is, the undercarriage is a bit on the flimsy side with that one! Better make sure your stock is well up as this will be a long one!
Arabest,
Geoff.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

flying_medic wrote:I'll be sitting alongside Alan nicking his popcorn while watching this. :snack: F_M

Apparently it will be me who will have to ensure there is sufficient stock Geoff. :grin:

Alan

ianf

Post by ianf »

Hi Geoff
A very nice choice and a very nice kit, Special Hobby kits are generally good kits when a bit of care is spent on them. As to taking the whole 3 months, I built The RAF version from start to finish in 1 day ! I did it as a bet with a friend, the thread is on here somewhere. I don't expect you to go that quick but all it needs is a little care and as I said they build lovely.

Ian
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi all,
Been pottering about with this one while entering other group builds on another site which takes the total GB entries up to 6! And 2 are finished! Both Hurricanes!!!

This one is fighting me all the way though! Ive had problems with the cockpit and nose fit, then the wings needed a bit of surgery to stop the tips pointing at the skies and the carpet monster stole a side window!!! I will now have to carry out some surgery to get the canopy to fit. But this is where i am!

I think we will see some paint by the weekend!!!
Arabest,
Geoff

Scampi

Post by Scampi »

:up:

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Great progress Geoff.

Keep at it. :clap:

Alan

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello again!
Well it looks like my run of good progress is continuing with over a month to go and all 4 of my entries looking like making the finish line. Add to that 2 for a GB elsewhere and one from the Harrier GB that is nearly finished, more on that later.

Quite enjoyed this one even though it has put up a fight. A change over to Humbrol Acrylics with this as well but adding some white as i thought the sky was too dark still. The DSG is 125 as well as the shade met what i wanted the finish to look like. Again, more tomorrow hopefully but there is a GP to watch.
Arabest,
Geoff.

ianf

Post by ianf »

Thats looking really good Geoff I must say the sky on this looks better than the hurricane. Considering you doubted your chances of building all of them in time I'd say you've cracked it. :up:

Ian
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

flying_medic

Post by flying_medic »

Coming along very nicely, indeed. :clap: :clap:

F_M

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi all,
Nearly let this one slip under the radar due to being a bit busy with family, cars and a few other models in between. I have been pottering on with this and have made it to the point of only touch ups and the decals to do.

So before i enter another GB on another group, here is what should be the last but one update on my Sea Hornet.

Arabest,
Geoff.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

That looks really nice mate. :clap: :clap:

Looking forward to the final update.

Alan

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi all,
Well this is finished bar a couple of decals but wont be able to take any pics due to breaking my wee zoom! Hope to get a shot of the wifes camera but shes no helpin the situation!!!
Arabest,
Geoff.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Looking forward to seeing this one with some Decals. hehe Wifes camera.. Good luck on that. Thats "her" camera.. I ran into the same situation last year... Her response to me..... "you won't let me try yours" lol.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi again,
Seen as the wife has now used her camera, she reluctantly handed it over for the "expert" to use it! So after going back for her to show me how download the pics, here are the results!

Downside is that the arrester hook disintegrated before fitting and the tailwheel broke and went to the laminate monster! Thankfully the big clean-up that starts every school holiday in the flat found the escaped item. Sort that out later and find/make a new hook later.
Arabest,
Geoff.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Re: Fleet Air Arm GB - 1/72 Sea Hornet Finished

Post by Deacon »

Well done mate, that looks cracking. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Alan

Scampi

Post by Scampi »

Love it :up:

Takamota

Post by Takamota »

Nice one Geoff,looks great, Have one of these coming up soon too so nice to see one built up.
Http://www.tomsaviation.co.uk Updated 11th January 2016