Naughty Field warning

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
RobHowarth

Naughty Field warning

Post by RobHowarth »

Anybody thinking of using the naughty field for future events should be aware that the IWM and owners of the field Russell Smith Farms Ltd have had a meeting with local police and it has been agreed that there will be a far higher police presence around the field on show days starting with Legends 2011. The farm has also agreed that nobody has been given permission to use the field and will be deemed to be trespassing if they choose to go on their land.

Rob

classicaviation

Re: Naughty Field warning

Post by classicaviation »

Good to see things are moving forward with this. Will be interesting to see how well its implemented come Saturday. Though I understand some of the reasons for wanting to use the field i.e. The light, its just a shame its done so at the museums, and probably the farmers, loss. There are those on here who pay their entrance to the airshow then use the field and I for one have no problem with that - unfortunately those that do are in the minority of field users. At the end of the day tresspassing is tresspassing so maybe this issue will be closed once and for all.
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Just send a collection bucket around. Much better idea. :up:

As Bernie rightly pointed out in previous threads on this topic, in many cases it's not costing them anything, because if the field isn't an option then some people simply wouldn't be there, myself included. Not interested in paying £30 odd to shoot into the light (if there is any).
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

classicaviation

Post by classicaviation »

Love pushing that button it makes you all get your knickers in a twist
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

Trevsy

Post by Trevsy »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Just send a collection bucket around. Much better idea. :up:

As Bernie rightly pointed out in previous threads on this topic, in many cases it's not costing them anything, because if the field isn't an option then some people simply wouldn't be there, myself included. Not interested in paying £30 odd to shoot into the light (if there is any).

Snap. :up:
"Dom Pérignon '62 Red 5?" - Roger Moore

Exiler

Post by Exiler »

Perhaps we may see more topsides museum side now.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Exiler wrote:Perhaps we may see more topsides museum side now.

I rather doubt that. :sad:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Exiler

Post by Exiler »

Now that they are not going to have any sanctimonious hypocrites to display to we might see that change.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Talking of Bernie, does anyone know where he's got to, I'm starting to miss the old chap?!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Alex, you have a PM.

Flyforfun

Post by Flyforfun »

classicaviation wrote:Good to see things are moving forward with this. Will be interesting to see how well its implemented come Saturday. Though I understand some of the reasons for wanting to use the field i.e. The light, its just a shame its done so at the museums, and probably the farmers, loss. There are those on here who pay their entrance to the airshow then use the field and I for one have no problem with that - unfortunately those that do are in the minority of field users. At the end of the day tresspassing is tresspassing so maybe this issue will be closed once and for all.

Of course you have been in the field and did a survey .

Rob Leigh

Post by Rob Leigh »

Flyforfun wrote:Of course you have been in the field and did a survey .

Of course, we're usually overwhelmed by the number of flightline shots from freeloaders. Perhaps they were just in too much of a hurry after going through the gates and finding somewhere to turn round? DanO, hilarious as usual.

Timmy!

Post by Timmy! »

Well reading this i have mixed feelings.

I have indeed used the "naughty field" but the reason for this is light, as many know for a large majority of the day it favours this field and not the museum. As i want to photograph the aircraft this is my reason for not going on the museum airfield and not that i`m a cheap skate!

Now if Duxford did indeed provide a photographers area on the same side i`d happily be there even if i had to say pay an extra few quid on top of the standard admission price.

What interests me however is will those "freeloader" members of the public who site on the road running across the top of the naughty field also be kept away?

But i do have to wonder why Duxford themselves haven`t addressed this issue in what would be seen as an ammicable manner by as i have mentioned arranging or providing an area for those of us wishing to photograph the aircraft who in order to do so have to use the naughty field.

Rob Leigh

Post by Rob Leigh »

Timmy, how would the IWM incorporate a spectator area under the active flightline of an airshow? Perhaps that's the reason? There used to be a press area by the windsock, but that disappeared under a mound of red tape many years ago.

A380FWWOW

Post by A380FWWOW »

Timmy! wrote:Well reading this i have mixed feelings.

I have indeed used the "naughty field" but the reason for this is light, as many know for a large majority of the day it favours this field and not the museum. As i want to photograph the aircraft this is my reason for not going on the museum airfield and not that i`m a cheap skate!

Now if Duxford did indeed provide a photographers area on the same side i`d happily be there even if i had to say pay an extra few quid on top of the standard admission price.

What interests me however is will those "freeloader" members of the public who site on the road running across the top of the naughty field also be kept away?

But i do have to wonder why Duxford themselves haven`t addressed this issue in what would be seen as an ammicable manner by as i have mentioned arranging or providing an area for those of us wishing to photograph the aircraft who in order to do so have to use the naughty field.

Timmy, Im quite sure that the road across the top of the naughty field will be very busy on Saturday and Sunday (fortunately I believe the road is normally closed), like yourself I would rather they purchased the field and charged a supplement for those of us who want to avoid backlit photographs. But will also add their ticket prices are starting to get rather stupid!
I'm also wondering what time they will actually close the gates as this show is normally a sell out, where do they really think those that cant get in will go?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65589468@N04/
View on this site are my views and not those of any organisation!

Rob Leigh

Post by Rob Leigh »

More faces than a town hall clock. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Exiler wrote:Now that they are not going to have any sanctimonious hypocrites to display to we might see that change.

Eh? :question:

Rob Leigh

Post by Rob Leigh »

DanO1978 wrote:
Rob Leigh wrote:More faces than a town hall clock.

Now what are you prattling on about?

You should do stand-up, you really should. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

About time too :up: :rock:

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Just send a collection bucket around. Much better idea. :up:

Well don't take pictures then and just watch the show "Simples!" :wink:

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I assume that all the pilots and passengers in the visiting private aircraft have to cross the airfield to the museum side, or are they permitted to stay by their aircraft during the flying display?
Last edited by AlexC on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Leigh

Post by Rob Leigh »

No, they're not allowed to remain with their aeroplanes. The IWM ferries them to and from their aeroplanes in minibuses from a point at the M11 end of the crowdline.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Thanks, thats what I though, but it was worth checking.

redbearing

Post by redbearing »

Rob

One slight problem with the police and land owners stopping people using some of this land, is a small thing called public footpaths. The land owners and the police cannot stop people using them unless they apply to the authorities to have them closed, having said this the ramblers association would fight this tooth and nail and usually win.

I would suggest if anybody is thinking about using the fields they check with a ordinance survey map where public footpaths are located and use them. I have been stopped several times around Lakenheath and removed my OS map from my back pack to show the authorities that I was allowed to be taking photos at the location where I was stopped.

Duxford is not the most suitable location for airshow photography so I normally pay to enter Legends on the Sunday and use the fields on Saturday. I shall have my OS map with me so if anybody tries to remove me from the fields that are a part of the public footpath I shall point out to them that I have every right to be where I am. Stick to the public footpaths, and keep off the farmers crops!.

Some people grab free tickets because they are so called press photographers and walk around with their press labels with their noses up in the air, and when you see their work it is often crap compared with amateur photographers. Several people who use the fields do not have the finance to be able to pay the sort of money demanded by the IWM, which is a real shame as some of these people turn out some photos that a far superior even though the press are allowed unique photographic locations. :smile:

robert

Rob Leigh

Post by Rob Leigh »

Rob, strictly speaking, aren't you required to be moving along the right of way rather than plonked on it? I suppose you could say that you were resting? http://www.ramblers.org.uk/info/britain/footpathlaw & point 26 here: http://www.wight-cam.co.uk/WightCAM/HTML/Ramblers.htm "A person who strays from a right of way, or uses it other than for passing and repassing commits trespass against the landowner."

I agree with your comments about faux-press, but they don't really get that much of a concession over access these days. By the way, I've never even applied for a press pass at Duxford.
Last edited by Rob Leigh on Tue 05 Jul 2011, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

DonBonzo

Post by DonBonzo »

From Bing maps.....

and from the Ordnance Survey

My understanding of map reading would indicate that there are no public rights of way across or anywhere near the fields in question. I'm prepared to be corrected though, as I'm not an authority on the subject.......

Tim
Never trust a skinny chef.
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery.