RIAT Weather

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Sea King

Re: RIAT Weather

Post by Sea King »

This should give you a good idea of the predicted rainfall: http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Forkie

Post by Forkie »

Sea King wrote:This should give you a good idea of the predicted rainfall: http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

In June there was an entire week where the BBC predicted rain every day and we didn't see a drop. I take the BBC's forecasts with a pinch of salt and a sprinkling of pepper.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

So Saturday (when I'm going) lookslike its going to be like Cosford '11 - rain all day (with the obvious impact on aircraft like it was at Cosford where we got virtually none of the advertised flying display) and then it will stop raining just in time for the crawl off the waterlogged car parks and the long miserable drive home. So that's £30+ wasted - plus the cost of fuel and food etc (on top of the fact that RIAT skanked the people who bought Earlybirds by doing the BOGOF later in the year when they realised tickets were selling slowly) - if they keep me standing in the rain for an hour while they do their stupid ineffectual 'security' checks then I wont be happy! :mad:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

.. and there's a bleedin' lizard in the bidet.

Sorry speedbird2639, Monty Python reference. Sadly the weather is what the weather is. I haven't got my e-ticket yet. I'll get it tomorrow and go Sunday - probably.

Lots actually flew at Cosford - much more than we could reasonably expect given the conditions. The BBMF and the Vulcan were the main cancellations, most other stuff flew.

Sea King

Post by Sea King »

DerekF wrote:.. and there's a bleedin' lizard in the bidet.

Sorry speedbird2639, Monty Python reference. Sadly the weather is what the weather is. I haven't got my e-ticket yet. I'll get it tomorrow and go Sunday - probably.

Lots actually flew at Cosford - much more than we could reasonably expect given the conditions. The BBMF and the Vulcan were the main cancellations, most other stuff flew.

I'm afraid large portions of the flying display at Cosford 2011 were cancelled - ALL of the historic jets, Tucano, Tutor, Red Arrows (half a display), BBMF, Falcons etc. It was dreadful - that happening at RIAT would be a disaster :sad:

Forkie

Post by Forkie »

speedbird2639 wrote:So Saturday (when I'm going) lookslike its going to be like Cosford '11 - rain all day (with the obvious impact on aircraft like it was at Cosford where we got virtually none of the advertised flying display) and then it will stop raining just in time for the crawl off the waterlogged car parks and the long miserable drive home. So that's £30+ wasted - plus the cost of fuel and food etc (on top of the fact that RIAT skanked the people who bought Earlybirds by doing the BOGOF later in the year when they realised tickets were selling slowly) - if they keep me standing in the rain for an hour while they do their stupid ineffectual 'security' checks then I wont be happy! :mad:

I think you're jumping the gun a bit. In 2007 it rained quite a lot and as I recall nothing major was cancelled.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Sea King wrote:
DerekF wrote:.. and there's a bleedin' lizard in the bidet.

I'm afraid large portions of the flying display at Cosford 2011 were cancelled - ALL of the historic jets, Tucano, Tutor, Red Arrows (half a display), BBMF, Falcons etc. It was dreadful - that happening at RIAT would be a disaster :sad:

Whatever you say but at the Cosford show I was at I saw a 3 or 4 hour flying display - I must have imagined it all. Why don't you list what did fly - I think you'll find it is a longer list than that which didn't.

Speedbird 3349 or whatever he's called said, and I quote "where we got virtually none of the advertised flying display". That is just wrong and frankly insulting to those who put a decent display in awful conditions.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Forkie wrote: I think you're jumping the gun a bit. In 2007 it rained quite a lot and as I recall nothing major was cancelled.

Maybe - but its more than a little bit annoying when we've had one of the driest Spring/ early Summer periods on record (well for some years certainly) and now we wld like 1 weekend of sunny/ dry/ reasonably calm weather and instead it looks like we'll get 2 days of rain. If it was forecast to rain Tues/ Weds next week we wldnt be having this discussion because we wldnt care! We all enjoy going to airshow and we all look forward to RIAT but no one will enjoy it if its a cool day with heavy rain as is currently forecast.

I bought my tickets for Cosford/ Kemble/ Waddington and RIAT in advance to take advantage of the advance ticket price - I was unaware (my fault, I accept) that RIAT had an e-ticket facility which means I cld of delayed by ticket purchase and choice of day to attend until the day before - now I know I can make a more informed decision next year.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Just posted on the RIAT wesbite...

Friday - Bright and sunny with scattered cloud through the morning. High cloud streaming in through the afternoon, making the sunshine a little hazy, but with light winds the maximum temperature of 21 C will feel lovely and warm.

Saturday - Cloudy with outbreaks of rain and a little breezy too. But the rain and cloud will clear to the East, leaving a brighter afternoon, with plenty of sunny spells, allowing the temperatures to warm up to a respectable 17 C.

Sunday - Bright and breezy with scattered cloud and occasional showers. In between showers there will be some strong July sunshine and a maximum temperature of 20 C.

4pm July 14, 2011

Info from RIAT

Most positive weather forecast i've seen so far :grin:
Gary

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

As somebody once said, they would say that wouldn't they :smile:

Forkie

Post by Forkie »

speedbird2639 wrote:
Forkie wrote: I think you're jumping the gun a bit. In 2007 it rained quite a lot and as I recall nothing major was cancelled.

Maybe - but its more than a little bit annoying when we've had one of the driest Spring/ early Summer periods on record (well for some years certainly) and now we wld like 1 weekend of sunny/ dry/ reasonably calm weather and instead it looks like we'll get 2 days of rain. If it was forecast to rain Tues/ Weds next week we wldnt be having this discussion because we wldnt care! We all enjoy going to airshow and we all look forward to RIAT but no one will enjoy it if its a cool day with heavy rain as is currently forecast.

I bought my tickets for Cosford/ Kemble/ Waddington and RIAT in advance to take advantage of the advance ticket price - I was unaware (my fault, I accept) that RIAT had an e-ticket facility which means I cld of delayed by ticket purchase and choice of day to attend until the day before - now I know I can make a more informed decision next year.

I know it's annoying, but to say it is a waste of money I think is a bit harsh. This is Great Britain after all. When does the weather ever do what we want it to? When was the last time we had perfect weather on a Bank Holiday, for example? It's usually nice and sunny leading up to it, then on the day it pi**es it down, that's the way it has always been!

I remember in 2007 when it rained all afternoon, my brother, Dad and I were sitting on the public grandstand with an umbrella each discussing how it was funny that we British are the only nation we know of that will happily sit on a wet and windy airfield with a cheese and pickle sandwich to watch aeroplanes! And damn proud of it we were! Just take appropriate clothes, suck it up and enjoy the day, regardless!

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

@DerekF

"And finally , a list of all the display's that flew today :
1. Turbulent Team
2. Black Cat's
3. SWIP Team
4. O'Brien's flying circus
5. Red Arrows
6. Tornado Role Demo
7. Hawk display
8. Belgian A109BA Display
9. The Blades"

So unless you like little helicopters or planes made out of paper and string with a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine in it you were limited to half a Reds display; the Tornado and the Hawk! Nothing the organisors cld have done abt it but still a boring, wet waste of a day none the less.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Maybe you should write to those flew in those conditions and tell them what you think it was a waste of time. I'm sure they'll be delighted to hear your point of view.

I think that is a very respectable list considering what the weather was like.

Anyway, back to Fairford. I think I might go for Sunday.

Paul R

Post by Paul R »

I should'nt even bother with Metcheck, probably the most unreliable of weather forecasters ever.

Paul R

Post by Paul R »

Ah, Ok.. I tend to go with Netweather myself. Probably the most accurate of the sites which I have visited. Roll on Saturday anyways, regardless of the weather, should be a good day.

steve185cs

Post by steve185cs »

I quite often use the Magic Seaweed site, it is a watersports web site mainly but their forecast charts for wind and pressure (including rainfall in blue !!!) I find pretty accurate. This is the link to their pressure chart (hope it works, cut & paste if not) http://magicseaweed.com/msw-surf-charts ... 1310601600 and you can see the various amounts of rain forecast for the coming week. For various outdoor events I use this and the MET site.

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

tomcatforever wrote:Just posted on the RIAT wesbite...

Friday - Bright and sunny with scattered cloud through the morning. High cloud streaming in through the afternoon, making the sunshine a little hazy, but with light winds the maximum temperature of 21 C will feel lovely and warm.

Saturday - Cloudy with outbreaks of rain and a little breezy too. But the rain and cloud will clear to the East, leaving a brighter afternoon, with plenty of sunny spells, allowing the temperatures to warm up to a respectable 17 C.

Sunday - Bright and breezy with scattered cloud and occasional showers. In between showers there will be some strong July sunshine and a maximum temperature of 20 C.

4pm July 14, 2011

Info from RIAT

Most positive weather forecast i've seen so far :grin:

Well thats different to what the BBC are saying :wall: guess I just have to go and see what the weather is like on the saturday, this too is my first RIAT just hope some aircraft display though as I got told aircraft will display in the rain end of the day its all down to Visibility.

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Indeed it is, certain aircraft wont fly due to rain but as long as the cloud base isn't too low a bit of rain wont stop F-16's flying and certainly wont stop choppers, I remember many years ago sitting a Yeovilton with a water fall coming off my hat (it was very wet lol) watching a Merlin do its demo.

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Andyperkins wrote:Indeed it is, certain aircraft wont fly due to rain but as long as the cloud base isn't too low a bit of rain wont stop F-16's flying and certainly wont stop choppers, I remember many years ago sitting a Yeovilton with a water fall coming off my hat (it was very wet lol) watching a Merlin do its demo.

Yeah you get the fast jets displaying even the Vulcan, don't think the BBMF would fly though think the OFMC (Britain's answer to Horseman) would still fly.

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

Buckster

Post by Buckster »

JBartlett wrote:
Andyperkins wrote:Indeed it is, certain aircraft wont fly due to rain but as long as the cloud base isn't too low a bit of rain wont stop F-16's flying and certainly wont stop choppers, I remember many years ago sitting a Yeovilton with a water fall coming off my hat (it was very wet lol) watching a Merlin do its demo.

Yeah you get the fast jets displaying even the Vulcan, don't think the BBMF would fly though think the OFMC (Britain's answer to Horseman) would still fly.

James

I attended RIAT on the Sunday 2 years ago and it was VERY wet

I remember very very few aircraft being cancelled - by far majority of displays took place

I would have much preferred it to be dry though - I was cold all day - one word of warning if it is wet - wrap up warm - as rain + exposed to wind = cold - even if its quite a warm day

turbohampster

Post by turbohampster »

DanO1978 wrote:
JBartlett wrote:

James

Vulcan is VFR, so is very weather-reliant.

All displays are conducted under VFR....

Unless the Vulcan is flying in from somewhere else on the day and you mean it might have a difficult time getting there????

jones

Post by jones »

Getting better!

http://www.weathercity.com/uk/gb/fairford/

Thats What Im Talkin About HELL YER ! :rock: :rock: :rock:

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

jones wrote:Getting better!

http://www.weathercity.com/uk/gb/fairford/

Thats What Im Talkin About HELL YER ! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Also, the RIAT & the Met Office reports seem to be quite similar, suggesting Saturday won't be quite as bad as made out.

Swindon:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... ather.html

Cirencester:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ ... ather.html

Oddly, the weathercity.com & Met Office websites differ over Sunday - one shows a quite reasonable forecast and the other a very dodgy looking Sunday am.

Sea King

Post by Sea King »

riatweatherman

Post by riatweatherman »

I would not worry so much about BBC weather as they change alot all the time.

The UKMO, GFS, ECM AND UK FAX CHARTS update daily and will change from heavy rain to showers to anything else hehe.

We are going to get rain for sure, on Saturday looks more likey as fronts past by. Sunday looks the better day with maybe showers around hit and miss as always. On sunday it seems there will be less cloud cover which is always nice for a airshow of cause.

The 18Z GFS will be coming out from 10:30pm onwards will see what that says, as well as the HI RES NNM rain model.

Saturday - Rain followed by showers

Sunday - Cloud few showers maybe more sun.

Not sure im allowerd to post charts showing the cloud cover,rain and winds.