Mach Loop -Where's best spot?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
TYPHOON3

Mach Loop -Where's best spot?

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Thinking of going there this week.Whereabouts is the best spot to view the planes at the lowest level that they usually fly?I can't walk too far as I have a broken ankle.So the best place to park the car and then walk a relatively short distance would be a great help.I am not really a photographer-just the lowest point at which they fly would be great.cheers.

DamienB

Re: Mach Loop -Where's best spot?

Post by DamienB »

With a broken ankle? Forget it!!

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

DamienB wrote:With a broken ankle? Forget it!!

So you can't help me then?It's actually a hairline fracture so I can hobble on my crutches and I am taking a seat with me,based on this still forget it full stop?It's been a few weeks now so it should be healing.
Last edited by TYPHOON3 on Mon 25 Jul 2011, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

+1 to that. For the proper experience you need to climb up the hills, and there's no chance of that if you've got a broken ankle.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Jumbojet380 wrote:

+1 to that. For the proper experience you need to climb up the hills, and there's no chance of that if you've got a broken ankle.

Is there nowhere I could just park the car(driven by someone else of course)just get out and sit in my seat and watch?If not I will have to wait a few more weeks untill the cast comes off.I suppose I could always go to Coningsby again.Just trying to ease the boredom sat at home.

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

TYPHOON3 wrote:Thinking of going there this week.Whereabouts is the best spot to view the planes at the lowest level that they usually fly?I can't walk too far as I have a broken ankle.So the best place to park the car and then walk a relatively short distance would be a great help.I am not really a photographer-just the lowest point at which they fly would be great.cheers.

Fox2 has location guides etc, but i'm not sure if you have to be a member to view them
Gary

Sea King

Post by Sea King »

Broken ankle or hairline fracture; the very fact you're contemplating visiting the 'Mach Loop' with this kind of injury is very bizarre - I would let the ankle recover and then visit. As has been stated, you're not getting the full experience viewing from a lower height, or indeed a 'potentially' disadvantageous viewing point.

Here's to a speedy recovery! :smile:

Hurn

Post by Hurn »

I heard it's only a short hop to the top. :whistle:

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Sea King wrote:Broken ankle or hairline fracture; the very fact you're contemplating visiting the 'Mach Loop' with this kind of injury is very bizarre - I would let the ankle recover and then visit. As has been stated, you're not getting the full experience viewing from a lower height, or indeed a 'potentially' disadvantageous viewing point.

Here's to a speedy recovery! :smile:

Cheers lets's hope so!

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

You can sit in the car park at the Bwlch (top of the pass from Dinas Mawddy to Dolgellau) and watch but they will come zooming up over your head. I fear that your crutches will sink in to the boggy ground if you even attempt to walk up a hill anywhere!!
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Ian G wrote:You can sit in the car park at the Bwlch (top of the pass from Dinas Mawddy to Dolgellau) and watch but they will come zooming up over your head. I fear that your crutches will sink in to the boggy ground if you even attempt to walk up a hill anywhere!!

Cheers Ian G,do you have a sat nav post code for this location or more specific directions?I will take your advice on the hill climbing though!We probably won't stay that long anyway now the kids are off,we will probably go on to the coast for the afternoon for a ride in my borrowed wheelchair.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Whereabouts are you coming from and how well do you know Wales? The nearest postcode I can find is SY20 9JA which is for a good pub in Dinas Mawddwy, a few miles from the car park and pass, but if you follow the A470 and carry on up the hill and around the hairpin ben, the car park is on your left - you can see it on google maps here.

Just a short ride from here to Dolgellau and Barmouth if you want to go to the coast.

Ian
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Ian G wrote:Whereabouts are you coming from and how well do you know Wales? The nearest postcode I can find is SY20 9JA which is for a good pub in Dinas Mawddwy, a few miles from the car park and pass, but if you follow the A470 and carry on up the hill and around the hairpin ben, the car park is on your left - you can see it on google maps here.

Just a short ride from here to Dolgellau and Barmouth if you want to go to the coast.

Ian

That's great Ian,I should find it now based on your info.I will be coming from Wolverhampton and my Dad knows Wales really well and he will be driving.I did have Barmouth in mind for the afternoon.Thanks again.

Craig

Post by Craig »

TYPHOON3 wrote:
Ian G wrote:You can sit in the car park at the Bwlch (top of the pass from Dinas Mawddy to Dolgellau) and watch but they will come zooming up over your head. I fear that your crutches will sink in to the boggy ground if you even attempt to walk up a hill anywhere!!

Cheers Ian G,do you have a sat nav post code for this location or more specific directions?I will take your advice on the hill climbing though!We probably won't stay that long anyway now the kids are off,we will probably go on to the coast for the afternoon for a ride in my borrowed wheelchair.

Not being funny here, but please don't venture any further than the car park. The hills are VERY steep and a challenge even for someone in full health. I'm sure it'll make no-one's day when you need mountain rescue to get you down again when you've busted it totally. Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted, just make sure you don't overdo it :smile:

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

There is very little point in driving to the Bwlch and sitting in the car park. Everything will be happening high above you, you might see nothing, and you'll see far more Hawks flying about at Valley!

Craig

Post by Craig »

DamienB wrote:There is very little point in driving to the Bwlch and sitting in the car park. Everything will be happening high above you, you might see nothing, and you'll see far more Hawks flying about at Valley!

I wouldn't go as far as "high above you", I've seen some stuff pretty low over there, but it's never going to be the same as in the hills themselves.

Cliffair

Post by Cliffair »

You used to be able to drive up the farmers track up CAD East... you need to check with some of the low fly regulars if the track is still useable. there was parking for about 3 or 4 cars and it is a short walk to the face... worth checking but i would wait for the ankle to heal first...

fideaux

Post by fideaux »

If you really want to go, but struggle on the hills... why not try road level at the east end of Talyllyn, parking available, quite an impressive corner, I would not climb hills with a poorly ankle, Cad East is possible if the track is OK. From road level the track is a 15 min stroll, followeed by 100metres of undulating terrain to the edge. Take care!

Markie

Post by Markie »

Personally wait until the ankle is better. If you want to sit in a layby then there is one off the A487. Coming from Dolgellau, head down the A487 towards Tal-y-llyn lake. At the top of the pass, with Cadair Idris on right, before you descend down to the lake is a layby on the right hand side. You can park in here. The planes come through the pass at varying heights although viewing is restricted with steep sides so you may be better parking in a spot before this or even visit the pub (Cross Foxes I think) on the corner.

If you have a bad ankle, don't even think about climbing as its hard enough for a fit able bodied bloke

Hope this helps