MAKS

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
Preben

Re: MAKS

Post by Preben »

AARDVARK wrote: Well i arrive early on Tuesday morning,so have free day ,would be happy to attend the show and share a taxi this day aswell,depends what time you plan to get there and if trade tickets are available for this day,do want to go Sunday to see extended flying display.

To be honest, I don't know at what time we're going to leave the hotel in the morning. I guess early, just because the police closes the roads at about 7 a.m. We are four people traveling, but one is in doubt. We have the press admittance, don't think it is a free entrance day. If you travelò alone I can tell you if we are just three people, in this case we can try to share. In case write me on pm...

MasterJet

Post by MasterJet »

Just a tips...ask the hotel to reserve a taxy, an official taxy and set the price with the hotel before start the run! Take a 'not official' taxy is more expensive and dangerous...
Take care that also the unofficial taxy has the same taxy-logo on the roof of the car...while you enter the car the driver will remove the logo...so be aware because they are very expensive.

Preben

Post by Preben »

MasterJet wrote:Just a tips...ask the hotel to reserve a taxy, an official taxy and set the price with the hotel before start the run! Take a 'not official' taxy is more expensive and dangerous...
Take care that also the unofficial taxy has the same taxy-logo on the roof of the car...while you enter the car the driver will remove the logo...so be aware because they are very expensive.

Thank you so much for the tip! :wink:
With the hotel we are in the south of Moscow, it will be faster than going from the center...

flybynight

Post by flybynight »

Flight programme has been updated.
Now includes the Baltic Bees Team, plus a reconstruction of a Soviet field aerodrome during the Battle of Moscow period
For the first time it will be possible to see about 10 planes of the military period simultaneously ....... I-15bis, I-153, I-16, DIT, Sh-2, three Po-2, two MiG-3 fighters

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

In previous shows have the knights and swifts performed on trade days aswell as public ones?

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Anyone going with Ian Allan tour?

TheSpur8

Post by TheSpur8 »

AARDVARK wrote:Anyone going with Ian Allan tour?

Yes I am going with Ian Allan. Getting excited now. :yahoo:
Canon 7D2,
Canon 5D3,
EF100-400L mk2 4.5-5.6 IS,
EFS17-55 2.8 IS,
EF28-70L

Flankerman

Post by Flankerman »

I'm going with George Pick - but I understand that we are 'sharing' with Ian Allen on some days.

Staying at the Aerostar on Leningradskiy Prospekt.

Ken

TheSpur8

Post by TheSpur8 »

Found this on the web...

"Russia's Sukhoi aircraft maker will demonstrate in flight two prototypes of its T-50 fifth-generation fighter, also known as PAK-FA, to the general public for the first time.

Sukhoi's flight program at the show also includes performances of its Su-30 and Su-35 multirole fighters, the Su-34 strike aircraft and Superjet 100 passenger plane.

The MiG corporation will showcase several variants of its MiG-29 fighter and a two-seat version of the MiG-35 multirole fighter, as well as the MiG-29K carrier-based fighter."

Not sure if it means the MIGs wil be flying but yes to the Sukhois. bring it on.....
Canon 7D2,
Canon 5D3,
EF100-400L mk2 4.5-5.6 IS,
EFS17-55 2.8 IS,
EF28-70L

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Good to hear others staying at Aerostar,if anyone is up for doing an extra day at MAKS myself and another are planning on going on sunday aswell,to good to miss extra day at show,especially If display teams only fly on public days!

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Good to hear others staying at Aerostar,if anyone is up for doing an extra day at MAKS myself and another are planning on going on sunday aswell,to good to miss extra day at show,especially If display teams only fly on public days!

andyjayh

Post by andyjayh »

I'm also traveling out to MAKS next week with a friend of mine and staying at the Rus Hotel. We are going on the 17th and coming back on the 22nd with three days planned at the show. Not going on any organised tours as we wanted to keep the outlay low and so far we have done it fairly cheaply.

Travel to and from the airshow seems a little daunting to say the least so any points would be great :biggrin: However I have fired an email off to the hotel detail my metro route to get them to confirm or alter. Also asked them if they are putting on any transport themselves from the hotel to the show.

Can someone confirm that or correct me in my understanding that the closest metro station is Vykhino on Metro 7? Plus I understand that there is a shuttle bus from Otdih over ground station which I assume there is a train running between this and Vykhino? Would it be easier to get a taxi from the hotel? How about the cost and can you get an official taxi back? What travel plans are others making?

Anyone staying in the area want to meet up would be great or even at the show itself? Or even going off into Moscow itself on the days prior to the public show? Be good to meet up with some people out there.

Regards,
Andy

flybynight

Post by flybynight »

andyjayh wrote:Anyone staying in the area want to meet up would be great or even at the show itself? Or even going off into Moscow itself on the days prior to the public show? Be good to meet up with some people out there.

Regards,
Andy

Two of us are meeting up on the Sunday at Kasinskiya Mainline station which is the station for Otdih (Otabix). There are trains virtually every 10 minutes. We are in the final throws of arranging meet times as we are both travelling 3 stops on the Metro from different directions. It looks like your hotel is further out? I have the train timetables if you want them (I'm going solo on the Saturday, sight seeing on Friday).

andyjayh

Post by andyjayh »

Cheers for the reply, may well try and meet up also if that's ok. We plan to have a free day on Thursday to go into Moscow and then have three days at the show but we'll play it by ear to be honest.

Yes our hotel is a fair way out but that kept the price down I believe. So the logistics is a bit of an issue at the moment. To be honest I am getting a bit confused with finding the right final Metro station and then how to get to the rail station that has the shuttle service (Otdih Station). I am planning to get to Vykhino metro station as I believe that is the closest to the airfield but from there I am a bit hazy at the moment as I can't yet find out the location of this metro station in relation to Otdih or the airshow itself!

If you are coming in via the Metro what is you plan to get over to Otdih? Any help on this one would be much appreciated.

Ta,
Andy

TLM

Post by TLM »

To get to MAKS by train from Kazanskiy, there are 2 options:

1: Every half hour there is a fast service to Ramenskoye. Change trains here for a local stopping service back up to Platforma Otdykh. (Purchase tickets seperately. At Ramenskoye, the platform and ticket office for Otdykh is on the most Southern Western side of the station when viewing map. Barely anybody understands English so I would advice using Google translate to print out information in Russian).

2. A stopping service all the way to Platforma Otdykh. Although you do not need to change trains, it takes a very long time (almost twice the time).

At Otdykh, a large amount of people will depart the train and it is very crowded (especially on public days) to the free shuttle buses to Zhukovsky airfield. There is no way you will feel lost here, just follow the crowds and logo signs. In 2009, trains and buses were so busy, it was not always possible to board. In the evening, police even control the numbers of people allowed onto the platform for safety. Dont expect a swift exit as soon as the flying has finished. Hope this helps.

Enjoy!

Tim

flybynight

Post by flybynight »

andyjayh wrote:I am planning to get to Vykhino metro station as I believe that is the closest to the airfield but from there I am a bit hazy at the moment as I can't yet find out the location of this metro station in relation to Otdih or the airshow itself!

If you are coming in via the Metro what is you plan to get over to Otdih? Any help on this one would be much appreciated.

Ta,
Andy

Try these coordinates on google maps 55.601214,38.137407 for Otdih (Отдых). You will see the mainline station, Vykhino is about 10 stops north of there. The stopping service from Kasanskiya appear to run every 10 minutes on display days and takes between 40 and 56 minutes. PM me if you want more info.

andyjayh

Post by andyjayh »

Thanks for the info Tim, much appreciated.

Right I have finally found a google maps view that show me the Metro stations and now I have a clear understanding of where both Kazanskiy and Vykhino are. Not sure which one to head for to catch the train from down to Otdykh.

Thanks flybynight, noticed you posted as I was writing this. I'm gaining a better understanding, slowly... :oops:

flybynight

Post by flybynight »

The Moscow Metro website is also in English and has an interactive map. Clicking on two stations gives you the best route and time between.

andyjayh

Post by andyjayh »

flybynight wrote:The Moscow Metro website is also in English and has an interactive map. Clicking on two stations gives you the best route and time between.

Yep thanks for that. I've also downloaded a fairly good Metro App for the iPhone, seems to work nicely :smile:

So I need to get to Kazanskiy to catch the train to Otdykh rather than Vykhino, seems to be the better option.

Seems our mistake has been to book a hotel in the south of Moscow thinking it was closer to the airshow, however we need to travel north to pick up decent transport to the site :wall: Oh well, will be an experience

triple_ace

Post by triple_ace »

To all those that are going I hope you have a great time and I want to see some cracking pictures please. :drool:

triple_ace

Post by triple_ace »

Does anybody know of or seen a participation list for this event?

Or am I better off not knowing? :shock:

triple_ace

Post by triple_ace »

Lifted this off the airliners.net site.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia-- ... 1968179/L/ :topbombing:

I knew I shouldn't have asked. :wall:

andyjayh

Post by andyjayh »

Right, we are here :) not being on a tour and trying to keep the costs down we are in a hotel that is some way out of Moscow so travel time is going to be long each day. Also 'economy' means something a lot lower level than the UK!! Oh well, we are just going to enjoy the sights and sounds of Moscow and the Airshow :)

kichu

Post by kichu »

greeting from polish squad to the folks we meet there

andyjayh

Post by andyjayh »

Well we are back safe and sound from our Russian experience :biggrin: I would definitely recommend this to anyone, with a bit of planning and advice from previous visitors to Russia the trip isn't that stressful and the show is so different from the UK based ones. People were on the whole friendly and helpful even if language was an issue at times. The Metro and trains although very basic are very cheap and run incredibly frequently so no rush to catch.

The easiest option is to use a tour like the Ian Allan ones but they are expensive but everything is organised for you. We did it ourselves and including spending money for 5 days the trip cost around £800. Ok so that was a very basic hotel but once over the initial shock it wasn't to bad and we had three full days at the airshow with a day and a half in Moscow sightseeing.

The biggest downside were the photography conditions :facepalm: On Friday it was bright sun with clear sky but the sun by midday was right in front of you so the pics were shadowed or washed out, very hard to get good shots. the following two days were a real mixed bag of rain, low cloud and a bit of sun and although there were some good conditions during that time it all added up to not great results. However the experience was fantastic and I would definitely do it again :smile: