Concorde after last commercial flights

Photos of commercial airliners
RRconway

Concorde after last commercial flights

Post by RRconway »

Hi all,

Thought I'd spend some time sorting through old photographs in the quiet season.
First up these pictures taken in October 2003, just 4 days after Concorde stopped flying commercially, and whilst they waited to be flown out to their final retirement homes :sad:

'Mods' I ummed and arred about wether to post here or Golden Oldies but they're not that old so decided here as others have posted 70s airliners here, hope thats ok.

The aircraft were constantly being re-positioned, sometimes for practical reasons other times for photographic purposes :smile:
So at least once a day I scooted round the base in a van to see what opportunitys were available. Unfortunately I had my first digital camera at the time, a 3, yes count them, 3 megapixel (how do they get them all on the sensor) Olympus compact something or other!!!!, so the quality is not great.
Anyway hope you like them, if you do, I have more :whistle:

Thanks for looking, hope you like them.

Cheers,
Jeff.
Last edited by RRconway on Fri 20 Jan 2012, 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

XP282

Re: Concorde after last commercial flights

Post by XP282 »

I sometimes take for granted just how pretty Concorde really is... Especially in those colours.

Great photos. It really is a shame that they had to be retired early.

Reddog111

Post by Reddog111 »

Grace with pace.

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

Those photos are something special indeed..... thank you for posting them. It is hard to believe it was 2003, and such a shame they are not flying :sad:

I am curious about one thing about your photos... Those that show the two facing each other outside the hangar.... I wonder why the noses appear to be at different heights? Looking at the pan they seem to be parked in alignment with each other, and I don't think it's a perspective issue either? Maybe a subtle difference in oleo height perhaps?
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

Such a beautiful aircraft. Will always be my favorite.

...and lovely pics to remember Her.

MarkL
HTAFC

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

Thanks for the comments guys, glad you liked them :smile:

They are certainly among my favourite ones I took of Concorde.

Pete,
With regard to the nose heights, I think you're right about the apron being level, its far more likely its to do with the oleo position, which is probably to do with how much fuel is in each aircraft and its distribution in the tanks.
I remember when we used to depart it from Terminal 4, we always used the same stand but it did have a noticable slope down to the rear of the stand, and towards the departure time it always looked to me that it was close to tipping on its tail!!!!, thankfully it never did :lol: but it did look that if a crow were to land on the tail it would be too much :lol:

Anyway if you like I'll post some more this weekend if I get a chance.

Thanks and cheers,
Jeff.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

Kenny

Post by Kenny »

These are superb Jeff! Love the first one

I really miss seeing Concorde daily. Great sight and sound

Cliffair

Post by Cliffair »

Hi Jeff,

I remember one flight where there was a slight miscalulation on the fuel front coming home from JFK and so when she parked up all the T4 BA staff were seconded to get on board one at a time so they could get the pax off without her tipping on her tail... oh happy days :heyhey:

swingy

Post by swingy »

They are great. My kid was round there a few days back and sent me one from his phone which cant be far off the 3 mega p of your camera but his shots are not a patch on those.

Bjorn

Post by Bjorn »

Beautiful machines and a great opportunity to catch them, well done! You mentioned some mor pics...?
Med vänlig hälsning/
Björn Hellenius
http://www.hepic.se/

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

Thanks for all your comments guys.

Kenny wrote:These are superb Jeff! Love the first one

I really miss seeing Concorde daily. Great sight and sound

Hi Kenny, I don't think anything will ever turn heads from the civilian world like Concorde did :sad:

Cliffair wrote:Hi Jeff,

I remember one flight where there was a slight miscalulation on the fuel front coming home from JFK and so when she parked up all the T4 BA staff were seconded to get on board one at a time so they could get the pax off without her tipping on her tail... oh happy days :heyhey:

Hi Cliff, I've heard a few stories like this, it always got to Heathrow with little fuel aboard, it even had to divert to Cardiff once for a splash and dash!!!!

swingy wrote:They are great. My kid was round there a few days back and sent me one from his phone which cant be far off the 3 mega p of your camera but his shots are not a patch on those.

I'm very fortunate to work there and get access to the aircraft, I forget what a privilage it is sometimes.

Bjorn wrote:Beautiful machines and a great opportunity to catch them, well done! You mentioned some mor pics...?

I did indeed, unfortunately I have not had time this weekend, will do it asap!!!!

Thanks again,
Jeff.