The Queens diamond jubilee

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
The Dudster

The Queens diamond jubilee

Post by The Dudster »

does anyone know if there is going to be a flypast on the Sunday as i shall be in London on board a boat on the Thames for the river Pageant

Dragon Rapide

Re: The Queens diamond jubilee

Post by Dragon Rapide »

As far as I am aware the flypast takes place on Saturday June 16th immediately following Trooping the Colour. I don't think the Vulcan is to be a part of the official flypast.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

Dragon Rapide wrote:...I don't think the Vulcan is to be a part of the official flypast.

Have any official plans or statements been issued as to participants?

Epic Formacion

Post by Epic Formacion »

Having the Vulcan in the official flypast would take all the attention away from the CAS's train set. :handbag:

colt99

Post by colt99 »

Dragon Rapide wrote:As far as I am aware the flypast takes place on Saturday June 16th immediately following Trooping the Colour. I don't think the Vulcan is to be a part of the official flypast.

The flypast on 16th of June is for the Queens birthday, there should be another for her Jubilee
aswel.
Dave

SilentFlight

Post by SilentFlight »

The big issue is that the vulcan operates on a permit to fly, which poses problems with flying over London. The CAA are, I am led to believe, and if it is to be believed, looking at it at present!

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

You may be right but there is nothing listed on the Jubilee website.

Dragon Rapide

MicrolightDriver

Dragon Rapide wrote:You may be right but there is nothing listed on the Jubilee website.

Am I right in thinking that no participating aircraft have been listed yet?

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Not that I am aware of.

Dragon Rapide

MicrolightDriver

Dragon Rapide wrote:Not that I am aware of.

A bit difficult to deduce from that whether a particular aircraft will or won't take part then?

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

If you read back the discussion is about the date of the flypast not the participants.

Dragon Rapide

MicrolightDriver

Dragon Rapide wrote:If you read back the discussion is about the date of the flypast not the participants.

If you read back you'll see someone raising a question and offering some sort of opinion as to XH558's participation. I was just interested whether that person's statement was based on anything other than their own view?

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Fair enough - my only comment on that was that from the posts on the VSC site they only talk about the Vulcan being a part of the Jubiliee Year by its many appearances up and down the country, without a mention of the flypast.

Dragon Rapide

MicrolightDriver

Dragon Rapide wrote:Fair enough - my only comment on that was that from the posts on the VSC site they only talk about the Vulcan being a part of the Jubiliee Year by its many appearances up and down the country, without a mention of the flypast.

Sorry, the 'VSC' site?

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Oops! - my personalised form of VTTS - sorry. :smile:

Dragon Rapide

MicrolightDriver

Dragon Rapide wrote:Fair enough - my only comment on that was that from the posts on the VSC site they only talk about the Vulcan being a part of the Jubiliee Year by its many appearances up and down the country, without a mention of the flypast.

One fairly significant contributor to the VTTS site certainly mentions the flypast:-

Diamond Jubilee Flypast

From feedback we have received, XH558's supporters are very keen for the Vulcan to help celebrate Her Majesty’s Diamond Jubilee, mirroring the participation of Concorde in Her Majesty’s Golden Jubilee celebrations in 2002. Whilst no plans for an official Diamond Jubilee flypast have been publicly announced, we would very much like to participate if such an event were to happen. In preparation, the Trust has received guidance from the Civil Aviation Authority on what they would need to grant permission for the Vulcan to fly over London. The requested safety case has been submitted to the CAA; we remain very hopeful that the Vulcan will be part of the official celebrations in front of a world-wide audience later this year.

.....Robert Pleming

canon55k

Post by canon55k »

Re the diamond jubilee, does anyone know if or what the RAF are going to mark up for the event.
Do not expect any thing as grand as the silver though.
WATCH THIS SPACE?????/
Canon 1DX,
Canon 5Dmk111
Canon EOS 1NRSx2
Canon EF70-200F2.8
Canon EF24 -105LF4
Canon EFIS 100-400 mk11
Canon 500mmf4

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Yes, I read Dr Pleming's comment for what it was. A aspiration for which a request has been submitted. That's a long way from the Vulcan in the flypast, which is what is being discussed here. But, of course, let's hope his request is accepted.

Dragon Rapide

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Looks like there will be a flypast in May over Windsor

Armed Forces to mount spectacular tribute for Queen's Diamond Jubilee
A History and Honour news article

15 Feb 12

In honour of Her Majesty The Queen's 60-year reign Armed Forces personnel will parade through Windsor and muster at the castle on Saturday 19 May 2012..

Nearly 2,500 troops from the Royal Navy, the Army and the Royal Air Force will parade through Windsor in the presence of Her Majesty and the Duke of Edinburgh.

They will then muster in the castle grounds for a unique event before an audience of more than 3,000 Armed Forces personnel, their families, and veterans. An impressive, tri-Service flypast of current and historic aircraft will conclude the celebrations.

Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir David Richards, said:

"Her Majesty The Queen's support and encouragement over the years has created a very special bond between our monarch and her forces. That link is felt by all those who have the privilege to wear Her Majesty's uniform both in the UK and on many varied operations overseas.

"The parade and muster will truly be a day to remember. It is an opportunity to highlight the unique relationship the Queen has with the men and women of the Armed Forces and of the role she fills in our lives."

The custom of the Armed Forces paying tribute to the monarch during a jubilee year is an established tradition. Similar celebrations were held for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, the Silver Jubilee of King George V, and the Silver and Golden Jubilees of the present Queen.

To celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897, a Fleet Review was held at Spithead, Hampshire, and a Grand Military Tattoo was performed for her at Windsor.

King George V reviewed all three Services (the Royal Air Force had been founded in 1918) at separate events for his Silver Jubilee in 1935.

For the present Queen's Silver Jubilee in 1977, Her Majesty attended a Fleet Review at Spithead, a review of the Army in Sennelager, Germany, and a review of the Royal Air Force at RAF Finningley, South Yorkshire, with further visits to the Royal Marines and Cadet Forces.

In 2002, a tri-Service event was held at Whale Island in Portsmouth for her Golden Jubilee.

The parade and muster in Windsor will be the first time all three Services have visited the Queen for a dedicated event, and will be broadcast by BBC Television. Further details, including information on those marching in the parade and the aircraft taking part in the flypast, will be released in due course.

Info from MOD website

5 Tornado's departed for the US today so that's a few less to take part in the flypast :grin:
Gary

747woody

Post by 747woody »

Small detail of Windsor being a few miles off the end of runway 09L at Heathrow!

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

A North/South transit at 500 feet should do it!!

Dragon Rapide

PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Hopefully a route can be planned that doesn't qualify as a 'built up area' for permit aircraft. :drool:

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

According to the BBMF schedule, they'll be flying over Windsor with the Lancaster, three Spitfires and the Hurricane.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

BBC coverage, well that's the flypast knackered then.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Would have thought a flypast over London would be better, and visible to more people than over Windsor.

I also thought that a large flypast over Windsor may cause a few problems at Heathrow aswell.