Civilian Saab Viggen might fly this summer!

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
davedogman

Civilian Saab Viggen might fly this summer!

Post by davedogman »

SE-DXN

That is the registration number the Swedish transport agency recently granted the Swedish Air Force Historic Flight for their AJS 37 (37098) Viggen.

Now SwAFHF got to provide documents on how they plan to operate the jet to get the airworthiness certificate. Control flight is scheduled before the end of April.

The ambition is then to have the jet, pilot and techies ready for displays in time of the June celebrations in Linköping. (I believe it's 100yr military aviation and Saab 75th bday)

Translating from source (Swedish) http://swafhf.se/Start2012.html

:rock:

Agg
UKAR Staff

Re: Civilian Saab Viggen might fly this summer!

Post by Agg »

Your translation is correct ;)

And since the Viggen is civilian it will also be allowed to display outside of Sweden (like the rest of the aircraft operated by the Swedish Air Force Historic Flight). Im keeping my fingers crossed that we'll see the Viggen in the air this summer.

agdickie
UKAR Staff

Post by agdickie »

:drool:

That is all.
Agdickie on Airliners.net
Hey jet pilots! Do a barrell roll!

davedogman

Post by davedogman »

Agg wrote:And since the Viggen is civilian it will also be allowed to display outside of Sweden (like the rest of the aircraft operated by the Swedish Air Force Historic Flight).

Oh that is great indeed!

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Now that would really be something to look forwrd to!! :biggrin: Along with the Lightning the Viggen was an awesomwe show-stopper!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJo7aqOfRww[/youtube]
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

Fingers crossed! :biggrin:
Card carrying aviation addict!

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

I'm a massive Saab (aircraft) lover, so this is great. Would love to see it and other's over here one day!!
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

nigelblake

Post by nigelblake »

I'd even book a ticket for RIAT if that was on the show flying list!

stonesfan

Post by stonesfan »

Now whos going to be the first to start slating RIAT if the Viggen doesnt show up there :lol:

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

stonesfan wrote:Now whos going to be the first to start slating RIAT if the Viggen doesnt show up there :lol:

Indeed :wink: keep an eye on that thread!! :biggrin:

Dragon Rapide

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

Would love to see it at Leuchars!....... :cuppa:
Card carrying aviation addict!

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

Yes please! :topbombing: :up: :drool:
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

A flypast at Cockpit-Fest 2012 - to visit its cousin would be nice!! :yahoo:
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Screechy

Post by Screechy »

Lets hope it makes the Bodo airshow :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fastwalker

Post by Fastwalker »

NAM Updater wrote:A flypast at Cockpit-Fest 2012 - to visit its cousin would be nice!! :yahoo:

Ah,yes your Viggen that i missed ariving at Cranwell. I left 20 minutes earlier because i was told by station staff it wasn't coming that day!

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

The same one that I didn't travel from Nottingham for because we'd been told it wasn't coming either!!

Two flight plans - one cancelled; the second wasn't! :ninja:

My understanding was that the first ATC knew was when it was approximately 10 minutes out of Cranwell!!

Quickest journey (cross country) I've ever made from Nottingham to Cranwell. :whistle:
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

http://www.swafhf.se/Start2012.html

Swedish Air Force Historic Flight In autumn worked with and applied to an AJS 37 Viggen civil registered. Towards the end of the year, the aircraft 37 098 (Gustav 52) registration SE-DXN the Transport Agency. Now intensive efforts to develop the necessary papers to get the aircraft airworthy. We will report to the Transport Board how we intend to operate the aircraft. This includes reporting the aircraft's history, an approved maintenance concept, and with what partners we intend to implement this. Even a flight operational concepts must be in place before the Transportation Board can come to F7 for final inspection and approval. Most of it is already in place and we hope to be ready with the initial work in January. If all goes according to plan so be able to control the aircraft flown by the end of April. The goal is to have the aircraft, pilot and technical support "display ready" to this summer's anniversary airshow in Linköping in June.

G52 aircraft owned by Air Force Museum is 10 years deposited with SwAFHF and F7 stored in a controlled environment. This includes the implementation of supply maintenance under a fixed schedule. SwAFHF have taken advantage of additional engines and a large amount of spare parts. Our technical team, with a lot of collective expertise of 37-system, is now carrying out, under the leadership of our "crew chief" Hakan Andersson, the work required to reinstate the aircraft in service. The exterior of the aircraft restored to the condition of the Viggen had at the beginning of his career in the Air Force.
The intention is that the aircraft initially be flown by Stellan Andersson, flygchef in SwAFHF. Stellan was in the 70 - and 80's show pilot with Viggen, both as a wingman to Christer Deer and individually. He has completed several 100's of shows with this type of aircraft, has been monitoring a pilot and was also the last logged flight time in AJS simulator F7 a few years ago. Stellan flies also show association with other jets Vampire J28, J29 Barrel, J34 Hawker Hunter and by 2010 even with the Armed Forces J32B Lansen.

Anders Linner
Vice Chairman SwAFHF
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Now I've got to find an excuse to get to Sweden in June!! :lol:

Dragon Rapide

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Dragon Rapide wrote:Now I've got to find an excuse to get to Sweden in June!! :lol:

It'd definitely be worth the trip if the Viggen was in the air by then. Flights to Stockholm aren't too pricey either!

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

It might be quicker/cheaper via Copenhagen. It certainly used to be when I was travelling a lot between here and Scandinavia.

Dragon Rapide

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

That is fantastic news. One of THE great show stoppers. Lucky enough to have seen it first at one of the Farnborough shows and I think latterly at Mildenhall. Would love to see it at any UK shows , fingers crossed, lets get a petition going for RIAT, scrub Alexandra Burke, its the Viggen that has the airshow X-Factor! :clap:
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

I hesitate to suggest it but I think the Viggen, put through its paces as I recall the display, would be the show-stopper of the year!! Same here - Farnborough was my first experience of it, I am sure in the early/mid 70s and then RIAT and Finningley I think a bit later......

Dragon Rapide

nigelblake

Post by nigelblake »

I have to agree with Dragon Rapide (above) The Viggen was always one of the most spectacular jets I ever saw at any show, equally spectacular for it's noisiness too, can't wait to see this one in the air again!

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

No idea if its true but there is a story on the Internet Movie Database that Clint Eastwood wanted to hire a Viggen to play the role of the Firefox as it looked so futuristic and different from any other fighter of its generation but was turned down so he had to go models instead.
Youtube does not do the Viggen justice, it is quite simply superb and what airshows are made for.
I just hope the team putting it back in the air have a melting phone line with organisers trying to book it.
PS yes, 1972 first appearance at Farnborough, happy days :smile:
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Trevsy

Post by Trevsy »

pbeardmore wrote:No idea if its true but there is a story on the Internet Movie Database that Clint Eastwood wanted to hire a Viggen to play the role of the Firefox as it looked so futuristic and different from any other fighter of its generation but was turned down so he had to go models instead.

To be fair the Viggen looks a) Crap and b) Vintage, compared to Firefox. Saying that I'd love to hear that Volvo roar (not often you say that!)

As a suggestion and not a 'completely' out of the ball park one, would be two 70's, heavy, jets; a Viggen and a Phantom flying at RIAT. I'd love to see that Collings Foundation aircraft flying over here, that said just a Turkish example would be just fine. It would have a back to the 70's feel, they could do fancy dress; huge afro's (imagine them in FRIAT!) and cords.
"Dom Pérignon '62 Red 5?" - Roger Moore