New Zealand Air Shows

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
Monty

New Zealand Air Shows

Post by Monty »

Evening all,

I am currently in a gap year and am going travelling in New Zealand from Jnuary to April next year. Now during this time there is the 75th RNZAF show at Base Ohakea and the Wings over Wanaka air show as well. Has anyone been to any shows in New Zealand before and what can i expect?

Thanks

Monty
Canon EOS 50D
Canon 18-55mm IS
Canon 70-300mm IS USM F-4.0/5.6

1094 (Ely) Sqn ATC

exocet_uk

Re: New Zealand Air Shows

Post by exocet_uk »

Ohakea is a pig to get to even when driving. That said, there are some good noises coming out of there about the scale of the celebrations.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

I've just got back from New Zealand 2 weeks ago, and I visited Ohakea, as mentioned not only is it a pig of a base to get too, but it is remote as well, if you'll get rain there, or eyeballing over the fence then you are going to be cold, wet and pissed off! The aircraft are all kept on the live side. There is a FB5 Vampire on a pole as a gate guardian. Also based there at Ohakea are a Tiger Moth (dunno if its a RNZAF "historic flight"aircraft/ unit) and the Huey's of 3 Sqn also based there are the A-109's but on my visit there were only 2 Hueys visible along with a couple of CT-4's

As for location to base yourself then if the taking off is on runway 06 (or is it 09?, looking on google earth, its the runway located at the 10 o'clock position) the road at the end of that runway is about 15 foot below the runway, so you could get some excellent belly photos. For photos of them doing a circuit to land the location of junction of Tangimoana/ Bailey Road, would be a good place.

But just to echo what "exocet_uk" it is a pig of a location, ensure you do pack the kitchen sink on your visit there, if your going to be doing arrivals/ departures from outside the base.

HTH

PhilW

Post by PhilW »

I've only been to WoW once, but I have to say that if it's a good one as far as content and weather goes, then it'll probably be one of the best warbird shows you'll have ever been to.

Monty

Post by Monty »

Red Dragon wrote:I've just got back from New Zealand 2 weeks ago, and I visited Ohakea, as mentioned not only is it a pig of a base to get too, but it is remote as well, if you'll get rain there, or eyeballing over the fence then you are going to be cold, wet and pissed off! The aircraft are all kept on the live side. There is a FB5 Vampire on a pole as a gate guardian. Also based there at Ohakea are a Tiger Moth (dunno if its a RNZAF "historic flight"aircraft/ unit) and the Huey's of 3 Sqn also based there are the A-109's but on my visit there were only 2 Hueys visible along with a couple of CT-4's

As for location to base yourself then if the taking off is on runway 06 (or is it 09?, looking on google earth, its the runway located at the 10 o'clock position) the road at the end of that runway is about 15 foot below the runway, so you could get some excellent belly photos. For photos of them doing a circuit to land the location of junction of Tangimoana/ Bailey Road, would be a good place.

But just to echo what "exocet_uk" it is a pig of a location, ensure you do pack the kitchen sink on your visit there, if your going to be doing arrivals/ departures from outside the base.

HTH

Thanks very much to you all for the information. Unfortunately i am going to be backpacking my way around so this makes travel even more of an issue! I am only really interested in the airshows themselves and not so much on general base operations, so unless the view from inside the base is terrible (i.e. crowdline is distant from the display axis and shooting into sun all day) i would not be watching from the fence (on this note how strict are the Nz's over security? is photography of aircraft an issue or is it pretty similar to over here?)
Canon EOS 50D
Canon 18-55mm IS

1094 (Ely) Sqn ATC

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Monty, before lying to NZ I contacted the RNZAF as I was thinking of photographing RNZAFB Whenoupai, and here's the reply I got....

Thank you for your below enquiry regarding photographing RNZAF Aircraft, specifically regarding photographing these aircraft at RNZAF Base Auckland.

We do not have a "no photography rule" thus you are able to avail yourself of any opportunity to photograph aircraft from outside the boundaries of RNZAF Base Auckland.

If you do so choose to take some photos please keep in mind that the road around Base can become very busy and is now a main link to the new motorway just opened. Please take care.

Now the news that you are backpacking has made me want to ask you a few questions/ give you a few pointers.

Your backpacking.........
1. Ensure that there is CONFIRMED transport from pick up to the base and back, as there very limited public transport, DO NOT expect the public transport to be as plentiful as UK, most Kiwi's will have cars
2. Book into a hostel the day before the show to dump your gear, only take your usual UK airshow gear with you.
3. Beware taxi's as they will be your ONLY means of getting around from town to town.

WoW
1. Depending how many days are between Ohakea and WoW (I have no idea of the dates, off hand) you'll have to give yourself about 3 days to travel from Ohakea to WoW.
2. All depending on the time the coach/ train gets to Wellington to catch the ferry to Picton that could take you 2 days. Then the train/ coach from Picton to Christchurch will take one day. The important thing for you to remember is that there may only be 2 or 3 public transport services every day, miss one and that could be your whole day knackered/ wasted. (When your on the ferry leaving North Island have your camera ready to photograph the dolphins & albatrosses in the Cook Straits, as the ferry is coming into South Island, ensure you have your camera ready, as the South Island scenery is so photographable)
3. To get to Wanaka district, you'll have to catch the coach from Christchurch, so you'l be close to RNZAF Wigram. If you want info on there let me know.

I can give you more info/ advice, feel free to ask

HTH

Monty

Post by Monty »

Thanks again for the info.

I am going to be in NZ from Mid January until Mid April and my primary means of getting about is probably going to be by bus. The two shows are about 2 weeks apart so shouldn't be too much of a problem getting from one to the other.

Any advice on travelling in NZ would be much appreciated generally.

Monty
Canon EOS 50D
Canon 18-55mm IS

1094 (Ely) Sqn ATC

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

As it stands the curren exchange rate is nearly £1=$2NZD, so your thinking you'll save money, but you wont really as everything in NZ will be more expensive.

For booking coaches, click on this http://www.coachnewzealand.com/

For booking trains, click on this http://www.tranzscenic.co.nz/

For checking ferry departures, click on this http://www.interislander.co.nz/

You can use internal flights to get around as they more readily available, however getting to the airport on time is the issue in NZ!

There are 2 ferry companies that operate the run, and i tried both companies, both Blue Ridge and Interislander, and Interislander won hands down, better ferry, better quality of food etc.

Once you get out of the ferry terminal in Picton (South Island) look up the hill too your right, and you'll see a hostel with the name "Tombstone Backpackers" painted on the corrigated roof, check there for a room as it nearest backpackers to get too, double room for $50-70, bathrooms/ showers/ hot tub etc there. a bed in the dormatory was $20-30. You cant go wrong there TBH.

If you can afford it, take the Picton to Christchurch train (departing Picton at 13:00) the day i went we were parallel to the Pacific, and there were clear blue skies to the left of the train, to the right were the snow capped southern alps, at the rear of the train there is an open air photography carriage!

On arriving in Christchurch you will be advised to check a board with backpacker hostel services on it, one place advertised is "The Old Countryhouse" avoid it like the plague, I found out to my expense that that place is NOT what it seems in the advert, its a right sh*thole.

Foodwise, you'll be fine. There are plenty (and I mean plenty) of Subway's, Burger Kings, MacDonalds, KFC's (but they don't do BBQ beans) in NZ to keep you ticking over. In the supermarkets (New World, 4Square, Pak n Save) you'll see all the familiar UK brands (Heinz/ Kellogs) etc, but the wraper will be a little diffrent. If you get the opportunity have a sausage sizzle (basically a hot dog but wrapped in sliced bread, not a bun)
Last edited by Red Dragon on Sun 16 Oct 2011, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exocet_uk

Post by exocet_uk »

We did an approach at Ohakea and that was a ballache to get to flying. Also, do bear in mind as mentioned above, it's an extremely expensive country to live in (I've just got back from 9 months out there.)

Keep and eye on here for the 2012 RNZAF 75th Anniversary schedule...

http://www.airforce.mil.nz/operations/whats-on/75th-anniversary/default.htm

Michael

PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Red Dragon wrote:Foodwise, you'll be fine. There are plenty (and i mean plenty) of Subway's, Burger Kings, MacDonalds, KFC's (but they don't do BBQ beans) in NZ to keep you ticking over. In the supermarkets (New World, 4Square, Pak n Save) you'll see all the familiar UK brands (Heinz/ Kellogs) etc, but the wraper will be a little diffrent. If you get the opportunity have a sausage sizzle (basically a hot dog but wrapped in sliced bread, not a bun)

Crisps are chips, sweets are lollies, tin comes after nine, you sit on cheers, and some of the cars on the road will make you think you're at the Goodwood Revival! It's an amazing country, and the people the friendliest you could ever hope to meet.

exocet_uk

Post by exocet_uk »

Foodwise, you'll be fine. There are plenty (and i mean plenty) of Subway's, Burger Kings, MacDonalds, KFC's (but they don't do BBQ beans) in NZ to keep you ticking over. In the supermarkets (New World, 4Square, Pak n Save) you'll see all the familiar UK brands (Heinz/ Kellogs) etc, but the wraper will be a little diffrent. If you get the opportunity have a sausage sizzle (basically a hot dog but wrapped in sliced bread, not a bun)

Fast food is silly cheap, with Whoppers for $3 what appears to be every other day, Big Macs $3 between 12-2pm everyday, and Dominos pizza do Cheap Tuesday where they are as low as $6. Shopping wise (given that you're travelling and will be skin-flinted) Pak N Save is the cheapest but really isn't bad at all; the bakery muffins are phenomenal.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Ohakea Air Force 75th Anniversary Air Show

http://www.eventfinder.co.nz/2012/air-f ... how/sanson

RNZAF Aircraft Flying Displays:

Red Checkers
Historic Flight Tiger Moth, Harvard and Sioux
Boeing 757
Kiwi Blue Parachute Team

Static Display:
A109 LUH
NH90
Upgraded Hercules (LEP)
Airtrainer

Flying and Static Displays:
C -130 Hercules
P3K Orion
UH1H Iroquois
SH2G Seasprite
B200 King Air
Historic Flight Tiger Moth, Harvard and Sioux

International Aircraft Flying Displays:
United States Air Force C-17

Static Displays:
Royal Australian Air Force C-17
Royal Australian Air Force C-130J
Singapore Air Force C-130
French Armed Forces of New Caledonia CASA

Flying and Static Displays:
Royal Australian Air Force F-18
United States Air Force C-17

Civilian Aircraft Flying and Static Displays:
Spitfire (x2)
Avenger
Dakota
Auster
Devon
Beaver
Kittyhawk (x2)
Corsair
Yaks
Harvards
Vampire
Strikemaster
Hunter
Mustang
Thunder Mustang
MX2
PAC750XL
Beech Texan
Gyrocopters

Wanaka

http://www.warbirdsoverwanaka.com/2012_ ... edule.html

Morning Programme 1000 – 1200

Show opens with the noise and drama of a pair of low flying, high speed fighters.

Thunder Mustang; Aerobatics MX2; Crescos and Beavers in Topdressing display;Tiger Moth display; Harvard Display Team and Canvas and Wire: WWI Segment.

More aircraft yet to be announced.

Lunchtime Entertainment 1200 – 1305

Model Aircraft Displays by Frazer Briggs and Alex Hewson
De Havilland flypast
Warhorse Display – Military Re-enactment.
Afternoon Programme 1305 – 1435

Royal New Zealand Airforce Display - Displays by C130 Hercules, UH-1D Iroquois Helicopters, Kiwi Blue Parachute Team, A109, Red Checkers Aerobatic Team, Sea Sprite.

Other airforce displays to be confirmed.

Main Warbird Display 1435 - 1600

Strikemaster et al.
The RNZAF in Europe in WWII – Spitfires and one other yet to be announced.
The RNZAF in the Pacific War: two P-40 Kittyhawks, FG-1D Corsair, Grumman Avenger and Dakota.
North American P51 Mustang.
The Russian Front - Yak 3 and yet to be announced aircraft.
The RNZAF Jet era arrives – the DH Vampire
The Airfield Attack
Fighter Finale – Massed fighter flypast to honour past and present RNZAF service men and women.
Airshow Closes 1600

falconpie

Post by falconpie »

exocet_uk wrote:Ohakea is a pig to get to even when driving. That said, there are some good noises coming out of there about the scale of the celebrations.

It's not that difficult to get to surely. Monty, you've probably 3/4 of the way through your travels but if I were you I'd spend the day in Palmerston North. There isn't a whole lot happening there but it's the closest town to Ohakea. You never know, you may find people who are kind enough to give you a ride there and back (if they're from the town).
It looks like you'd need to make a quick dash between the country if you're planning on going to both events seeing as they are quite close to each other, time wise. But everyone that I've talked to who have been to WoW have said it was great. I would recommend spending a few days in that area anyway. Wanaka, Queenstown (beware everything's tourist prices there whether you're paying or bed or beans!), Arrowtown is just beautiful in the summer/autumn, so great location to watch some vintage planes take to the air.

Now if you're spending time in Christchurch, I would recommend you take a trip to the RNZAF Museum in Wigram. Doubt it was effected much by the earthquake and I don't remember paying anything when I was there (but don't take my word for it or get your hopes up!).

Hope you're having a brilliant trip! Make sure you put some snaps on!

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

I would recommend you take a trip to the RNZAF Museum in Wigram. Doubt it was effected much by the earthquake and I don't remember paying anything when I was there (but don't take my word for it or get your hopes up!).

Hope you're having a brilliant trip! Make sure you put some snaps on!

I was there back in September last year, and enterance is free, (but there is a box for you to put donations in) All I can say about Wigram is that you should be able to "do" Wigram and another location/ event in one day. However currently the pamphlet that is out in all hotels/ motels and hostels has a T-6 Havard as a gate guardian. Well the guardian has been taken down for a refurbishment, so if your going there by bus look out to your left, as you go over a flyover, and you'll see a BIG patch of green for the airfield, the bus does a left turn and if I remember rightly you'll see 1 direction sign stating "RNZAF Wigram", blink and you'll miss it.

Make sure you do see one of the guides and book a place for the extended tour (for the restoration hanger and the reserve collection hanger) it costs $10NZD (about £6) Even after a thorough photographing tour and a mooch around the shop, I was out after 3 hours, but it was very enjoyable. As I will be back in the area from September (Australia this time) I am seriously looking at the Ohakea show and possibly doing a slow mooch down south to Wanaka. :smile: