Hurricane?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
tache3
UKAR Supporter

Hurricane?

Post by tache3 »

A friend has sent me this pic and asked me if I knew anything about the aircraft in it. I'm doubtful that it is a real Hurricane as I was under the impression that the Hurricane was constructed of fabric over a steel frame and these one appears to be all metal.

Also, if it is real, would it have been dressed in Luftwaffe markings for evaluation reasons after being captured or is it an allied aggressor effort?

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone with any knowledge. Many thanks.

Last edited by tache3 on Fri 21 Jul 2023, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhilW

Re: Hurricane?

Post by PhilW »

The wheels are too small for a start.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Not a real one, wheels look too small. Also appears to be joins in the wings near the gun ports. Looks like a replica to me, not sure of the relevance of the colour scheme though.

Smog Monster

Post by Smog Monster »

It was the rear fuselage that had the fabric over steel tubing construction.

Also they look like Finnish markings to me.

Still looks somehow odd though.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

http://hurricanehc-452.blogspot.co.uk/

- same wheels, can see the bottom of the 5 in your image.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

The Fins had the hurricaine during the war and this is the real thing its currently being rebuilt. albeit with the wrong wheels
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

tache3
UKAR Supporter

Post by tache3 »

The Finnish Air Force used the swastika? Well, I never knew that...

timuss

Post by timuss »

tache3 wrote:The Finnish Air Force used the swastika? Well, I never knew that...

Im pretty certain there is a Hurricane under restoration here in the UK, that will fly with Finnish markings once complete.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

more hindu i think

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Wasn't it a sign of good luck originally?

I went to the Aviation Museum of Central Finland a few years ago now.

They have a nice collection of aircraft (and scale models) there.

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

They also have the only British built Blenheim there too. The rest are Canadian built Bollingbrooks. Really fancy going there one day myself.

Martin the Martian

Post by Martin the Martian »

My understanding is that the first Finnish military aircraft was donated by a Swedish nobleman. His family crest used the hakenkreuz as its emblem, and so the Finns adopted it as the emblem of their air force. I believe that to be correct, though I stand to be corrected.
50 Shades of Grey: sounds like a paint chart for modern jets

DylanLlewellyn

Post by DylanLlewellyn »

The museum you are referring to is in Jvyskyla and it is one of the best museums I have visited at possibly the quietest airport I have ever flown from. The Blenheim is there although the P-39 Airacobra in Soviet markings was not there when I visited, sadly.

They have one of the few complete Brewster Buffalo's on display as well. And behind the musuem in temporary hangars there was (maybe still is) 6 x Finnish AF MIG-21s and 4-5 x Finnish AF Drakens!

Finland is a gem for rare and unusual aircraft, the Hurricane will make a fine addition to Finnish aviation heritage when complete!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

The Hurricane has a wide centre section because of the inward folding undercarriage. The outer wing joints are in the right place. It is the export version of the Mark 1, delivered pre-war when Britain was trying to negate German influence in the region. I'm sure they will get some full size wheels , don't know if the Finns operated Hurricanes with skis at all?

Some photos from the museum, including the Blenheim and Buffalo. I can't remember if the seat was from the Buffalo but no prizes for guessing the fate of the pilot.

Its a really good collection that deserves a bigger building. The array of MiGs outside with the fir backdrop is evocative.

Well worth a look if you are passing.

John

FIN09_0940 by FarnboroJohn, on Flickr

FIN09_0905 by FarnboroJohn, on Flickr

FIN09_0845 by FarnboroJohn, on Flickr

FIN09_0820 by FarnboroJohn, on Flickr

FIN09_0815 by FarnboroJohn, on Flickr

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

The Blenheim wasn't there when in visited in August 2007. I also flew into Tikkakoski (about three years ago) in one of those ATR 72s in the snow.

Mike

Post by Mike »

DylanLlewellyn wrote:They have one of the few complete Brewster Buffalo's on display as well.

It is actually the world's only surviving complete Buffalo. The tale of its recovery makes quite a story, involving the Russian mafia, and the airframe being sprited away to be stored in Ireland at one point. It eventually ended up with the US Navy museum at Pensacola, who have loaned it to Finland.

http://www.warbirdforum.com/bw372.htm

Craig

Post by Craig »

DanO1978 wrote:
tache3 wrote:The Finnish Air Force used the swastika? Well, I never knew that...

The Swastika/Hakenkreuz was used by all manner of cultures for hundreds of years, long before the NSDAP adopted it as their emblem.

I believe the Sikh faith still use it - certainly I've seen it on an orange flag outside Sikh temples in the past.

It was used by many churches, as said as a symbol for peace. Hitler apparently got the idea as it was used above the altar in his own local church as a child.

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

The symbol can be found on ancient buildings in Bulgaria, as my tour guide showed us. It was turned around 45 degrees to form the swastika.

There certainly are some real gems in this museum and very well presented too.

Orion

Post by Orion »

My understanding is that the swastika originated in India where astronomers (all naked eye then!) used to document the appearance of comets making particular note of the tails. One comet had four tails which formed a swastika making it particularly unusual. It isn't known how this event became associated with good luck but an assumption has been made that it coincided with very good harvests.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Judging by some of the older aircraft in the museum it looks as if the Finn's may have used the swastika on aircraft before the Germans?

I'm also sure that I've seen the swastika on illustrations of Plains Indian (Native American) feathered war bonnets.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Jimbo27

Post by Jimbo27 »

Slight thread drift, but sure I've seen the Swastika on some World War One RFC / RAF aircraft, Sopwith Camels?

Craig

Post by Craig »

AlexC wrote:Judging by some of the older aircraft in the museum it looks as if the Finn's may have used the swastika on aircraft before the Germans?

I'm also sure that I've seen the swastika on illustrations of Plains Indian (Native American) feathered war bonnets.

Yep they did :smile: