http://www.classicairforce.com/
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

FGR2

Re: new air museum

Post by FGR2 »

Good to see the pleasure flights up and running in the next couple of months. For about the last 3 years I have said one of the things I've wanted to do is a flight over Cornwall. Just have to find a nice day (which could be a bit difficult).

andrewman

Re: new air museum

Post by andrewman »

This seems like a good place for the Vulcan to go once it stops flying, an active air museum / Vulcan visitor center with the odd ground run from the Vulcan to get the crowds in.
2004 bathroom window photographer of the year

my facebook

https://twitter.com/Andrewsteer84 My Twitter

PeterR

Re: New Aircraft Museum - St Mawgan

Post by PeterR »

Went to have a quick nosey around by the old Airbase at Coventry a couple of weeks ago, as I was passing the area. Hell of a lot of the airframes are still there are not looking airworthy at all! I saw all three Dakotas on the ground with bits missing, both the Canberras. And quite a few others.

Granted the DC-6 is staying at Coventry for it's restoration to flight with "Cloudmaster" and I believe the Nimrod MR2 has been given to the Shackleton Preservation Trust who are staying at Coventry. But there's still a heck of a lot of aircraft to move (presumably by road!) down to St Mawgan!

Also not sure if they plan to leave the DC-6 Diner at Coventry, and if so - will they create another example down in Newquay?

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Most of the Airworthy aircraft will fly down to Cornwall while some will be driven on the back of a truck. Coventry will serve as a maintenance base apparently so the aircraft such that can be made airworthy will remain there.
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

As far as I am aware the DC6 Diner is now airport owned/operated, and won't be moving. The Nimrod is staying and with that in mind SPT were asked if we would maintain it, which we agreed to, so it should be joining WR963 wherever on the field she ends up in the immediate future.

Two out of the three DC3's look to be ready to go when asked - there's only the ex radar trials machine that looks to be missing bits at the moment.

One Canberra (WK163) has gone into the hangar and is being worked on. The blue one is still sat on the gravel outside Shackleton House (ex Airbase visitor centre.)

Kind regards,

Rich
Richard Woods
Team leader Avro Shackleton WR963
2009 - 2016
2019 -
http://www.facebook.com/avro.shackleton

Post by 106500 »

Slightly ironic that the Nimrod won't be relocated to a venue where they are so famously remembered though (same goes for the Shack as well!)

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Agree with 106500 there. Spent many a holiday in Newquay in the 1980s watching the Nimrods.

shorsley

Post by shorsley »

106500 wrote:Slightly ironic that the Nimrod won't be relocated to a venue where they are so famously remembered though (same goes for the Shack as well!)

You never know, if the RAF totally withdraw from the airport they may get their hands on WL795 sometime.
"I have a good pilot and a safe pilot."

Flickr

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

As we saw with the Nimrod R1 that went to Cosford, they're an incredible hard aircraft to move by road! So unless there's still a MR2 sat up at Kinloss that could be fired up for a ferry flight it's doubtful that St Mawgan will get a Nimrod, which is a shame considering the history with the station!

Russ

Post by Russ »

I wonder what the access to the Nimrod at Coventry will be like after everything that's moving goes? It would be a great shame to see such an airframe sit there unappreciated. I have fond memories of seeing it arrive at Coventry in 2010.

nigelblake

Post by nigelblake »

DanO1978 wrote:Remarkable that having secured it from the RAF just a couple of years ago, the Nimrod is now being given away. Classic case of biting off more than was ever chewable.

I've said it before, but the move to Newquay is merely postponing the inevitable.

I can only agree, Newquay is a fair old treck from the majority of the UK, so it will mainly be restricted to holiday makers visiting in the summer season with just a trickle of visitors over the remaining months. I fear it will not generate the required income to last!

Mike

Post by Mike »

DanO1978 wrote:Were any collections refused a Nimrod at the time? They'd be feeling pretty miffed.

Certainly some (Duxford and Newark at least) turned down the opportunity to acquire one.

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

Its not being given away - we're just going to be giving it a little care on behalf of Classic Air Force. Would you rather it fall derelict? I know I wouldn't. They did actually get it assessed for moving to Newquay, but I believe the cost was prohibitive. In hindsight it would have been nice if one of the Nimrod fleet had retired there to start with.

Access is still something we're working on for both Shackleton and Nimrod, but there's little can be done about it until everything settles down again at Coventry.
Richard Woods
Team leader Avro Shackleton WR963
2009 - 2016
2019 -
http://www.facebook.com/avro.shackleton

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

I thought that Newark and Duxford were not able to secure the finances or did not want one. If they could have afforded one or felt they could have looked after one, I am sure they could have secured one. Wasn't one of the R1s in a disassembled state and would not have been a complete/representative airframe, that is why it was rejected?

I think Classic Flight will do well at Newquay. I have always wanted to do a scenic flight over Cornwall, I have never even had the urge to visit Coventry.

I have been to Coventry once, I have been to Newquay around 30 times in my life, and virtually everytime have stopped at St Mawgan. I kept saying I would go back to Coventry and Airbase again, but have not felt the urge to tackle the M1 for a day trip. I will certainly be visting the Classic Airforce in Newquay though.

I don't know the footfall for Coventry, but would assume more people will drop in, passing Newquay, than making day special trips to the Midlands.

Newquay is not the end of the earth these days, the A303/A30 is now a very good road, compared to what it was in the 1980s when various bypasses had yet to be built. The M4/M5 is also a quick route. It takes around 5 hours from Essex.

Post by 106500 »

I can see how a move for the Nimrod to St Mawgan might be costly - I'm wondering also if the necessary dismantling of the airframe would prohibit any future prospect of a fast taxi (thinking about the Cosford example they removed the wings and tail sections - I noticed the electrical cables were sliced through, etc)?
Last edited by 106500 on Sat 05 Jan 2013, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

Russ wrote:I wonder what the access to the Nimrod at Coventry will be like after everything that's moving goes? It would be a great shame to see such an airframe sit there unappreciated. I have fond memories of seeing it arrive at Coventry in 2010.

I have fond memories of flying in XV232, in the North of Scotland on my first PAX trip in a proper RAF aircraft. :smile:

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

FGR2 wrote:Newquay is not the end of the earth these days, the A303/A30 is now a very good road, compared to what it was in the 1980s when various bypasses had yet to be built. The M4/M5 is also a quick route. It takes around 5 hours from Essex.

Or you could fly to Newquay with EasyJet from Southend Airport in Essex from the 20th June!
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Martin the Martian

Post by Martin the Martian »

I really don't understand this argument that moving to Newquay will be the end of the collection. I also don't understand the idea that it will only get visitors in the summer. Holidaymakers clutter up the county all year round these days, and Newquay is one of the busiest destinations in the UK all through the year. As FGR2 says, transport links are much improved these days and Classic Air Force will be providing something that is still rare in Cornwall -an undercover visitor attraction. If it rains it will be very popular; if it's sunny it will still be very popular.

Classic Air Force are being very sensible by moving out of Coventry, with all the uncertainty surrounding it, and have obviously thought about where to relocate to. And rather than moving somewhere which already has a collection or museum, or is near to one, they have chosen somewhere where they will not have to compete with other vintage aircraft operators. The incentives surrounding Newquay airport's enterprise zone have obviously been a big draw for them, but on top of that there is an untapped and very enthusiastic volunteer base in the county, and the potential for scenic flight operations is far greater, with probably the most stunning coastline in the UK to gaze out over (beats the scenery around Coventry any day). They have already started advertising scenic flights in vintage aircraft on local commercial radio, which ain't cheap, so they are obviously investing a lot of money in coming to Newquay.

In the end they want the tourist pound which -let's face it- is not hugely in evidence in Coventry. There are not many places in the UK that they will get more of that than Cornwall.
50 Shades of Grey: sounds like a paint chart for modern jets

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Good supply of spares for the Nimrod at Brunti then, just a short drive up the road from Cov.
Nothing wrong with the flights around the Cov area,
up out of Cov over Warwick and the famous castle, qiuck turn over Stratford upon avon,
scenic Cotswolds next all in the space of a ten minute flight. some very nice areas around the Midlands.

nice view of the coast if your in the right side of the plane, other side just boreing sea for the eye can see. so I beg to difer.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

vulcan558 wrote:nice view of the coast if your in the right side of the plane, other side just boreing sea for the eye can see. so I beg to difer.

What about the way back?
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

other side just boreing sea for the eye can see

I like the sea - leave it alone
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

buzzer

Post by buzzer »

well when thay do move down, thay will have a nice big hanger to fill.
the view of the runway is excellent (these were taken next to there hanger and in front of St Mawgans old tower.)
and you have westlands Pan right next door!
loads of space around the airfield for other activities to take place throughout the year.
and probably the best bit.. the airspace above Cornwall is pretty much traffic free! so airtest's/pleasure flights should'nt be a problem all year round.
so there move gets my vote :rock:

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

AMB

Post by AMB »

FGR2 wrote:I thought that Newark and Duxford were not able to secure the finances or did not want one. If they could have afforded one or felt they could have looked after one, I am sure they could have secured one. Wasn't one of the R1s in a disassembled state and would not have been a complete/representative airframe, that is why it was rejected?

I think Classic Flight will do well at Newquay. I have always wanted to do a scenic flight over Cornwall, I have never even had the urge to visit Coventry.

I have been to Coventry once, I have been to Newquay around 30 times in my life, and virtually everytime have stopped at St Mawgan. I kept saying I would go back to Coventry and Airbase again, but have not felt the urge to tackle the M1 for a day trip. I will certainly be visting the Classic Airforce in Newquay though.

I don't know the footfall for Coventry, but would assume more people will drop in, passing Newquay, than making day special trips to the Midlands.

Newquay is not the end of the earth these days, the A303/A30 is now a very good road, compared to what it was in the 1980s when various bypasses had yet to be built. The M4/M5 is also a quick route. It takes around 5 hours from Essex.

A nice positive post FGR2, but I do worry when you consider the history of aviation museums at seaside locations in that area:
Flambards at Helston, Cornwall - failed and closed.

Torbay Aircraft museum - failed and closed

I have been to St.Mawgan twice in my life, once on holiday with my parents when I was 14 and once when I was in the RAF and flew there in a Hercules from Lyneham in 1973. On the other hand, Coventry being situated nice and central in the country I have lost count of the number of times I have been there. Yes the roads have improved with good transport links, but it'll cost you a pretty penny in petrol to drive to St.Mawgan just to visit the museum. As for the airworthy aircraft, they will also have to fly a considerable distance if they get any air show bookings. I wish them good luck in this venture, but it is a gamble in these times of austerity!
Adrian