Save Panshanger Aerodrome

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Save Panshanger Aerodrome

Post by Hatstand »

There is a plan to build 700 houses on what is currently Panshanger aerodrome.
If this is of any interest or concern to you, visit http://www.savepanshanger.co.uk
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

Arthur Tee

Re: Save Panshanger Aerodrome

Post by Arthur Tee »

I find that a bit rich!
Off the top of my head I can't think of an airfield more unfriendly to enthusiasts and general visitors alike... :mad:

Arthur
Canon PowerShot SX40HS - It's not what you've got - it's what you do with it!

Trident 3B

Post by Trident 3B »

This was the decoy airfield for De Havillands at hatfield during WWII, and i have flown from here at least a couple of times but i no longer live in the area. It another link to aviation thats going to be wiped out...

Not good news, but i guess they have to build these houses somewhere.

:pinkwafer:

wezgulf3

Post by wezgulf3 »

I find that a bit rich!
Off the top of my head I can't think of an airfield more unfriendly to enthusiasts and general visitors alike...

Totally Agree!!

Wes..

bombhead

Post by bombhead »

wezgulf3 wrote:
I find that a bit rich!
Off the top of my head I can't think of an airfield more unfriendly to enthusiasts and general visitors alike...

Totally Agree!!

Wes..

Not likely,It'sa shame some history is lost to modernaty.

Last time I was there,I was told to " Fox Oscar " by a bloke before I had even got to the end of the carpark.

Andy
Don't interupt your enemy,when he is about to make a mistake.

Arthur Tee

Post by Arthur Tee »

I agree it's sad another airfield may close - but by UK standards it doesn't have a great deal of history attached to it...

The bit that really got my goat in the petition was;

"The cafe is always full at weekends and during the summer with people who come specifically to the airfield, walk or cycle past and who stop for a break "

This is the same cafe that you actually have to be 'A Member' to use... :lol:

Arthur

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

Crikey. I've never been there myself so I wouldn't know... but if what you guys say is true, then I guess they'll be reaping what they sowed if nobody supports them.
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

I've been past the airfield a few times,I didnt know anything about it,so I did read up about its role as a decoy airfield....
airfields seem an ideal place for building houses dont they!
I was speaking to some chap who was about to enter the old WW2 dispersal area at Abingdon recently,which still has the original huts etc (albeit falling apart and trees growing through them!) he told me some of the land on that side of the road will most likely be up for sale for developement,so watch out Abingdon airfield! :grin:

D90Man

Post by D90Man »

Actually, as someone who regularly flies from Panshanger, I have a vested interest....and as far as I am aware, the cafe serves anyone - members get a discount.

If you are happy that it's ok to accept that closing any aerodrome without a fight, no matter what your personal experiences, then I fear for our pastime and those employed by aviation.

Perhaps they were just reacting to experiences with previous visitors who did not behave accordingly - I presume you are absolutely sure that whoever you spoke to was part of the management....

Leon
"Sharpness is in the eye of the holder"
More at http://www.planephotos.org.uk

Arthur Tee

Post by Arthur Tee »

D90Man wrote:Actually, as someone who regularly flies from Panshanger, I have a vested interest....and as far as I am aware, the cafe serves anyone - members get a discount.

This is from their Facebook page...

We are a members only cafe - membership is available at £30 but lasts a lifetime and all members receive 10% off cafe prices! The cafe is also available for hire for private events - please call for more details.

Buggered if I'm going to stump up £30 - before I even choose something from the menu... :mad:

Arthur

wezgulf3

Post by wezgulf3 »

If you are happy that it's ok to accept that closing any aerodrome without a fight, no matter what your personal experiences, then I fear for our pastime and those employed by aviation.

I understand what you are saying Leon and i certainly wouldn't want any Airfield to be closed but when an Airfield has a No Enthusiast policy like Panshanger but then asks for help from Joe Public it is a little two faced!

I Stopped there one Saturday and like any Aerodrome i visit i always ask before looking around and i was pretty shocked at how i was asked to leave!

Wes...

Homer

Post by Homer »

We are a members only cafe - ........... all members receive 10% off cafe prices!

So everyone gets the discount? It's not really a discount then is it.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Never been there but it seems that a hard lesson is being learn't - whether its an airfield or some other form of organisation, a bit of good PR in the short term (ie letting people buy a cup of tea without asking for a membership fee) can reap big rewards in the long term.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

bombhead

Post by bombhead »

pbeardmore wrote:Never been there but it seems that a hard lesson is being learn't - whether its an airfield or some other form of organisation, a bit of good PR in the short term (ie letting people buy a cup of tea without asking for a membership fee) can reap big rewards in the long term.

I agree with you here...Now if the airfield was somewhere like Popham,then I would imagine they would receive a lot of support from enthusiasts.

I certainly will not part with £30 to become a member to use the cafe.

Andy
Don't interupt your enemy,when he is about to make a mistake.

bennysdad

Post by bennysdad »

Not just on here that the welcome at Panshanger is commented upon. However if you read the whole thread it would suggest that the lady running the airfield now might be a bit more reasonable to deal with if you try to visit.

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80109

jag636

Post by jag636 »

Well we at newark air museum can thank those in the past "who ever they were" for the vision of at least helping to "preserve" some thing for others to enjoy in the shape of the monospar which at one time was at this little airfield, please give those on the ground at this field a chance, maybe the reasons for not welcoming some people is the fear of the unknown, and yes I am sometimes guilty myself. :sad: :surrender:
Member of Newark air museum and trustee/acquisitions officer just trying to save what we all love and thats history

Fournier

Post by Fournier »

Panshanger has been local to me all my life. As a teenager back in the early 70s, I used to wash aircraft there for Harold Best-Devereux in return for rides with whoever was willing to take a plane mad teen on board! I've seen the airfield shrink from a massive open area to being built on within an inch of it's life. I spent many happy weekends there with my late father and I have precious memories of the place as it was.

Now I live on the housing area closest to the large hangar and I hate to hear how my neighbours slate a place that means so much to me.

Sadly, one particular person involved with running the outfit has done little to win favour with us local residents and as a result I guess they have most likely helped nail the coffin shut.
I honestly doubt the place is savable which breaks my heart.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

How things have changed. Used to pop in there regularly in the early 70s. Never had any problem, even when mooching around inside the hangars to see what was there. No longer spot the civvy stuff but it would still be sad to see it go.

demolope

Post by demolope »

The cafe serves non-members if it's their 1st visit (trial flights, visiting planes etc) and if they then join (£30 for a lifetime membership) they get 10% off the prices. Members are allowed to bring friends and family to the cafe (and the Flying School events) at all times.

The fact that it's members only is not the choice of the Owners, it's a condition of the Alcohol Licencing. The membership fee goes to the upkeep of the grounds which are well maintained throughout the year.

The food is cooked from fresh, the cafe is well run, pleasantly staffed and reasonably priced. I've never had any problems with anyone at the Flying Club and all the Pilots are super friendly. I would definitely recommend it, and sincerely hope that it is not lost to a housing development.