Airshow Nightshoot [Market Research]

Forum for information about the annual show at RAF Cosford
PeterR

Airshow Nightshoot [Market Research]

Post by PeterR »

This is a research thread, and by no means confirmation that a night photoshoot will be arranged.

As a way of research, trying to calculate costs and participant numbers etc. If a nightshoot was to be held on the Saturday evening prior to the 2013 RAF Cosford Air Show, would you be interested in attending? How much would you pay? What would you expect/like to see?

Please comment if you have an honest intent to attend such an event, work is in the pipeline if the numbers align! :cool:

AndyXH558

Re: Airshow Nightshoot [Market Research]

Post by AndyXH558 »

The harrier in the hide and one of the Jags with the power going too would look good. As for others, i know that is going to be a logistical nightmare so i will stick to that at the moment, perhaps the red arrow gnat next to the plastic hawk?
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

I'd be interested if there were Jags in the line-up (strobing please!), as well as a few of the other most interesting participants. I'd expect to pay in the region of £20, unless there was some engine runs, then I could push for a bit more!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I really don't have the kit or skill for a nightshoot at the moment, however if this became an annual thing I'd certainly be looking to go in the future!

You could even invite one of the Shawbury birds over to get something with the rotors running - or even use the air ambulance based at Cosford?

depending on what is utilised I'd be happy to part with £15-20 for something like that.

beefer

Post by beefer »

Would be a great idea,maybe the special Jag.If its the whole static as well,happily pay £30-35.

JohnF

Post by JohnF »

Would certainly be interested in this. Any of the Jaguars - like the line up last year but positioned further apart and at different angles. Strobes would be great. I'd happily pay £20-£30.

As DanO has said, it would be a late evening. I've checked my photos from the Northolt nightshoot in June 2010 held the evening before their Photocall and it wasn't fully dark at 22:00 (it was a sunny evening with a clear sky).

What time would the RAF want us off base? I appreciate they'd need to get things re-organised for Sunday. They would need to allow enough time for everyone to get their shots once it got dark. I wouldn't want the nightshoot to be rushed.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

I'd be interested & from some of the figures already given looks like around £25 is a good figure
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

KAM68

Post by KAM68 »

I'd be interested Peter.

elderforest

Post by elderforest »

£20 to shoot a line-up of Cosford Jags would be a winner.

Doesn't even have to be at night :wink:
Ian.
(elderforest).

Inthrustwetrust

Post by Inthrustwetrust »

Well as the instigator of this idea, i'm in and i think to be fair to Cosford, what i think is that we will be getting something special if they line the Jags up and maybe strobe a couple or more.

As it's not applicable to any other show, and as they have exclusive i'd be more than happy to pay £30.00 for the privelidge of attending (throw in a cup of Java and i'm there).
This could help bolster funds for worthy causes.

I have never been on one before, so its going to be special anyway, but i'd have maybe 2 groups of say 100 people on a lucky dip earlier (twighlight) and later (Dark with lighting/strobes).

please make my ticket #1

cheers
Dave
Canon 6D, 50D & 600d
Canon 28-105 &100-400 L usm lens

Aviation pics on davejonesphotography/zenfolio/

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

I'm right on the doorstep of Cosford, so I would love to go. I'd pay up to £30 easily too.
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

JohnF

Post by JohnF »

Inthrustwetrust wrote:I have never been on one before, so its going to be special anyway, but i'd have maybe 2 groups of say 100 people on a lucky dip earlier (twighlight) and later (Dark with lighting/strobes).

Personally, due to the travelling involved I would want to know when I booked whether I was attending a twilight shoot or a nightshoot as is the case with Northolt. Northolt is easy for me as it's only a 40 min drive but Cosford is a good 2hr+ journey.

I accept that they would need to control the numbers attending as space is always at a premium at nightshoots. I would pay more for a full nightshoot with lighting/strobes.

shaggie

Post by shaggie »

I'd be very intersted up to £35 for the ticket,The jaguar and harrier,maybe a GR-1 ? maybe something from the museum (TRS-2 or MH-53 ?) may few ofthe things that would be on display for the show and hopefully white light !!

funkygib

Post by funkygib »

£10-20 for me, its not RIAT after all.
Nikon D5100, 18-55mm VR, 55-300mm VR
These are my photos, there are many like them but these are mine.

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

DEFINATELY INTERESTED never done a night shoot before so not sure of the normal cost but would be willing to shell out about 20-30 quid would love to see the harrier in the hide with strobes on if it were at all possible, powered up jags, helo with rotars turning would be brilliant thanx in advance
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

Timc

Post by Timc »

Thinking slightly outside the box but why not combine the cost of the night shoot with admission to the airshow on the Sunday.....Call it £40 and you might be on to a winner!

There's plenty of cheapish hotel rooms to be had around the area for those that are travelling from afar.

Only an idea! :smile:

Cheers
Tim

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

£30 but quality,Northolt sets the standard in lighting, accesibilty and subject matter. I was also very impressed at Airbase Coventry in 2011.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Due to logistical and time restraints, shooting he whole static display would be an unrealistic target (you have Sunday for that!).

So the current train of thought for the evening/night shoot is... Start with the Harrier GR3 hide (located near the trees at the western end of the airfield) and from there continuing along the flightline of flying display items until you reach the eastern end of the runway. Then shoot the flying aircraft that are parked on the northside of the runway and finishing (hopefully in total darkness) with the two Jaguar GR3's on the southside.

Thoughts / Comments please? :smile:

All pricing strategy are still being examined based on the numbers attending and costs involved, it may be a stand alone ticket but could also come as a bundle with airshow ticket.

st24

Post by st24 »

Would love to shoot everything but please can you cater for the humans as well as the owls amongst us??... :confused:
£20 would be more thanreasonable - surely a scrummy ( :sick: ) hot dog stand or similar could be opened up and the toilets should all be there so the cost shouldn't need to include these facilities - just pure profit?!...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

The costs are the lighting that is needed, and vehicles for transport possibly too.

As for the day photo comment, parts of the static this year are being done with photography more in mind - so barriers further from the aircraft and nearly all of the Jaguar fleet on display!

JohnF

Post by JohnF »

Current plans sound ok. Mainly interested in the Jags so as long as we get them in the dark. Do you know which ones will be made available for the nightshoot?

With regards to the time and lighting, have any decisions been made on the amount of time on base and the type of lighting to be used.

Regards

KAM68

Post by KAM68 »

PeterR wrote:So the current train of thought for the evening/night shoot is... Start with the Harrier GR3 hide (located near the trees at the western end of the airfield) and from there continuing along the flightline of flying display items until you reach the eastern end of the runway. Then shoot the flying aircraft that are parked on the northside of the runway and finishing (hopefully in total darkness) with the two Jaguar GR3's on the southside.

Sounds good to me Peter, count me in :smile:

FRM

Post by FRM »

I think this would be a very positive move by the show organisers. Personally, as long as the lighting was not harsh and the exhibits suitably set out, I think it would be a winner. I would love to shoot Jags or Harriers from The base collection through to any of the modern stuff that attends. Cost? I would think £20 would be the right amount as this seems to be the going rate for night shoots I have attended but if you are going to pull out all the stops, I would be prepared to pay more.
I'm not trying to be funny, but are you sure he's not a midget with a learning disability?

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Any chance the MH-53 could be moved outside for the shoot? :heyhey:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Nope. Airshow aircraft only.