RCAF 19 Wing Open Day, CFB Comox - UPDATED!

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
sylvancatharsis

RCAF 19 Wing Open Day, CFB Comox - UPDATED!

Post by sylvancatharsis »

Had an excellent day out on Saturday on sunny Vancouver Island. The weather forecast was iffy in the days leading up to the show, with rain, low clouds, and fog all predicted at some point. But on the day the skies cleared, the temperatures were perfect, and aside from gusty winds late in the show that caused the cancellation of Dan Buchanan's hang glider performance, it really could not have been a better day for an air show. This was the base's first show in 8 years, and aside from a dearth of food vendors and massive traffic problems getting out (they really underestimated just how popular this air show would turn out to be), the only disappointment was the cancellation of the RCAF 408 Squadron CH-146 role demo, as the aircraft apparently went tech on the day. I could write a lot more, but I'll let the images speak for themselves. I make no apology for the quantity.

1. Highlights for me were the home team, specifically 442 Transport & Rescue Squadron and their mighty Buffalo

2. 442 Sqn performed an SAR role demonstration, starting with a pair of pararescue jumpers out of the CC-115

4. The CH-149 Cormorant then did its thing

8. Lowering the basket

9. Pulling up the PJ

10. Both of 442 Squadron's types

11. This is the takeoff. Maximum Performance.

13. The commentator seemed to think that the Buffalo was just going to takeoff and land again. I was devastated for a moment. And then...

14. My trip to British Columbia was validated :)

15. The "other" denizens of CFB Comox: 407 "Demon" Long-Range Patrol Squadron

17. Another Buffalo departing on a mission earlier in the show

18. Star of the static display for me, a rarely seen CC-138 Twin Otter from 440 Transport Squadron, all the way from Yellowknife, NWT

19. For most, the Snowbirds were the stars of the show, and they were spectacular

24. Superb display by the CF-18

27. Early in the show the demo Hornet (4 Wing Cold Lake) teamed up with its support ship (3 Wing Bagotville) for some high-speed and formation passes to fill the vacancy left by the CH-146's cancellation

28. Fortunately we did get to see a Griffon in flight... after the show, while we were sitting in traffic waiting to leave!

29. CC-130J from Trenton, which dropped the pararescue jumpers for the opening ceremony, later joining a KCC-130H in the static display

30. Heritage Flight Foundation warbirds

31. Remember this fella?

32. I make no apology for sounding slightly perverse when I say I'm in love with this Spitfire

33. SL633

35. According to the commentator, this is an F7F Hellcat (later amended to an F6F Hellcat), which replaced the obsolete Bearcat in US Navy service. A slight slip of the tongue methinks.

36. This was originally scheduled to be a Tigercat. Slightly disappointing the F7F couldn't make it, but a Bearcat will do!

38. Around the end of the show Cascade Warbirds put up 19 or so light vintage types

42. IAR-823

45. Would have liked to have seen this beauty do a full display, but at least we got to see her depart

46. Manfred Radius

51. The static display was difficult to photograph due to ropes close to the aircraft and overcast skies in the morning, but the Royal Canadian Air Force was comprehensively represented, with only the CC-177 (due to attend but called away last-minute on operations) and CH-147F missing from either the static or flying displays.

52. Good-looking Vampire

53. Fisheries & Oceans Canada Super King Air

54. Canada and Bush Planes... perfect.

55. One last photo. Entertaining oneself during the two-hour wait to get out.
Last edited by sylvancatharsis on Mon 26 Aug 2013, 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of CULT OF THE WYVERN, a novel about Westland Wyverns and aliens. (Really.)
Flicky Flicky

JJC

Re: RCAF 19 Wing Open Day, CFB Comox

Post by JJC »

An entertaining and fantastic set as always sir! :smile: :clap:
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Outstanding! What a post and location! Thanks very much for posting.

DanBeeden

Post by DanBeeden »

Great selection of shots from a lovely location. I like the Buffalo shots especially - what a wonderful old beast!

I notice the Dash 8 (CC-142?) in the background of the static shots - are these all now painted in that attractive gloss navy blue or are some still grey? One came to RIAT a few years back and looked terrific in that scheme I thought.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Very good! :clap:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

Very nice! I especially like #10... because if you look at it in a certain way, it looks like a big bird about to eat small bug...! :-D
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

TheDuck

Post by TheDuck »

Looks like a great show and great shots as well. That Spitfire looks lovely in that scheme. :clap:

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Wow!! my favourite post of the year so far.A great plethora of different types,and associated colour schemes.Adore the Cormorant ,merlin in a very snazzy scheme!!!!! would love to see one in the flesh,also that Hornet.... gorgeous!!! Lovely schemed Harvards ,and even like the king air,nice to see so much colour!!!!! :rock: :rock:
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Brilliant set, has to be one of the most colourful airshows I have seen!
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

LOVE the Buffalo! :worship: :worship:
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

Niallxg

Post by Niallxg »

Excellent post :clap:

Did you get to photograph the exhibits in the museum and the Voodoo gate guard?

Niall

Skylinerworld

Post by Skylinerworld »

A brilliant set of photos, some very nice aircraft!
Search 'AirportsAroundTheWorld' on FB
Search 'airports_around_the_world' on Insta
http://blog.skylinerworld.co.uk/

sylvancatharsis

Thank ye all kindly chaps, much appreciated!

DanBeeden wrote:I notice the Dash 8 (CC-142?) in the background of the static shots - are these all now painted in that attractive gloss navy blue or are some still grey? One came to RIAT a few years back and looked terrific in that scheme I thought.

It appears that all of the CT-142s now wear this scheme, at least they have the last few times I've seen them. Here's a photograph, albeit a bit difficult to take due to the clouds and the dark blue CC-130H behind (which IMHO also wears a lovely scheme; shame the J's are painted in bland old boring plain grey) :

Niallxg wrote:Did you get to photograph the exhibits in the museum and the Voodoo gate guard?

Not on the show day, but I paid a visit the next day (sadly under overcast skies) and will upload the photos shortly in the appropriate forum.
Author of CULT OF THE WYVERN, a novel about Westland Wyverns and aliens. (Really.)
Flicky Flicky

ciaranchef

Post by ciaranchef »

Fantastic location, variety of aircraft types and photographs, stunning post!
"It is generally inadvisable to eject over the area you just bombed"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciaranchef/

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

I spent a very enjoyable few minutes looking through those, thanks for posting :clap:

Rick

Post by Rick »

PeteM wrote:I spent a very enjoyable few minutes looking through those, thanks for posting :clap:

Me too, super post :clap:
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

CH2

Post by CH2 »

Cracking set; #20 is great, but some excellent shots of the SAR demos and the Hornet. :clap:
Cheers,

Chris

Epic Formacion

Post by Epic Formacion »

Great set of images. Personally it was nice to see the Golden Harvard, I flew in this at the Abbotsford show a few years ago. It was flown then by a previous team leader of a RCAF F-86 Sabre team.

hazer1

Post by hazer1 »

Great shots! Here are a few of mine. More at my site http://www.hazersflightline.comImage

sylvancatharsis

Derek, nice shots, especially like the Snowbirds crossover. But you really ought to start a new thread for your photos to give them the exposure they deserve!

Thanks all for the kind words, here are a few more for you in thanks :)

56. Team Rocket. Basically Canada's version of the RV8Tors!

57. Yellow Thunder Harvard duo

59. CF-188B

60. Blue Skies and a Buffalo!

61. SL633

62. Aurora dirty pass

63. Harvard formation

65. CT-155 Hawk

66. CH-124 Sea King from 443 Squadron, just down the road in Victoria

67. It just wouldn't be right to have an air show in Canada and not have a Beaver around!

68. Departing after the show

69. My ride into Comox. If you've never been on a 1900D, to say it's noisy inside is the understatement of the century. Makes a Saab or Dash 8 feel like the lap of luxury.

70. And finally, the most interesting aircraft of the day: A Cessna!
(sorry, I couldn't resist)

Thanks for looking!
Flicky Flicky