RAF Mildenhall-‘Old Skool’-Boeings.

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
bigcrow

RAF Mildenhall-‘Old Skool’-Boeings.

Post by bigcrow »

Some more recent scans, none of this bland grey paint that now adorns the 135 fleet, enjoy…

#1 this would never be allowed now. Belonging to the 42nd BW, Loring AFB performing a very low fly by

#2 in the early silver scheme belonging to the 145th ARS, Ohio ANG based at Rickenbacker AFB, OH, seen taxiing to runway 29.

#3 RC-135U belonging to the 55th SRW, Offutt AFB Nebraska, departing for a mission while on TDY at Mildenhall. Note the 'Sharks mouth' markings on the nose, which only appeared for a short period of time in early 1983 it had it applied again in 1990. I wonder if this was officially sanctioned at the time.

#4 another shot of the ‘Sharks Mouthed’ RC-135U caught departing on a crisp winter’s morning. It was also named ‘Jaws II’

#5 the other ‘Combat Sent’ shot departing early morning on another mission during the cold war

#6 EC-18D ARIA belonging to the AFSC\ASD. Rare visitor to the UK. Now stored at Melbourne.

#7 silver schemed A model, complete with SAC sash band. Loved this scheme.

#8 belonging 380th BW, Fairchild AFB caught on the runway 29’s over run

#9 KC-135Q from the 9th SRW putting the power on, these tankers were designated to refuel the SR-71A Blackbird.

#10 NKC-135A belonging to the 4950th Test Wing AFSC/ASD, known as FISTA, Flying Infrared Signatures and Technology Aircraft

Westy

Re: RAF Mildenhall-‘Old Skool’-Boeings.

Post by Westy »

Awesome. You can't beat Retro! :clap:

Arno 01

Post by Arno 01 »

Fantastic stuff Stu, keep them coming :clap:

kjshaw01

Post by kjshaw01 »

Superb set, great to re-live those times :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kev

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

They are brilliant, great quality too. Any more? :)
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

theactualsparky

Post by theactualsparky »

Right. I want to get geeky for a second. Why do some 135 variants have pretty much full span leading edge flaps and some only have that small portion just inboard of engines 1 and 4 (the outboard engines)?

DanBeeden

Post by DanBeeden »

Right. I want to get geeky for a second. Why do some 135 variants have pretty much full span leading edge flaps and some only have that small portion just inboard of engines 1 and 4 (the outboard engines)?

I think it's because the wing on the C-135 series and the wing on the 707 series are different. The C-135 series appears just to have the small high lift device inboard of the outboard engine whereas the EC-18 in the above set has a very different layout. As the EC-18 is based on a 707 (notice how it is somewhat longer) airframe, it is not a C-135 derivative so I'm assuming the wings were/are also different. That's my guess but someone else may know for certain...

Beautiful set of images too!

bigcrow

Post by bigcrow »

DanBeeden wrote:

I think it's because the wing on the C-135 series and the wing on the 707 series are different. The C-135 series appears just to have the small high lift device inboard of the outboard engine whereas the EC-18 in the above set has a very different layout. As the EC-18 is based on a 707 (notice how it is somewhat longer) airframe, it is not a C-135 derivative so I'm assuming the wings were/are also different. That's my guess but someone else may know for certain...

Beautiful set of images too!

Dan you are correct the EC-18 is a converted Boeing 707-323C (ex-N7566A) while the rest are C-135's built for the military.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Lovely set, takes me back to my youth when we would visit every couple of months when the KC's and Hercs were swapped over. Sadly the TDY's are a thing of the past :sad: .

tug23

Post by tug23 »

Lovely set of pictures,it's my local these days,but nothing like it used to be...great pictures.

Dollar99

Post by Dollar99 »

Excellent Stu - happy days.

I've dropped a couple more A models in to Maisie's excellent thread http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=50973 so as not to spoil your scans with my meagre efforts :wink:

foxfour

Post by foxfour »

Those certainly were the days, what an excellent collection of C-135 shots. Another geeky question; was there any way of telling by way of external differences between the bog standard A or E models and the Q model used for the SR-71s?

Mad Dan

Post by Mad Dan »

Well, E models had turbofan engines for a start - which is a bit of a giveaway...as the A and Q used J57s. Can't think of anything to assist with A and Q versions - other than going by the tail numbers (all Qs were from FY58, FY59 and FY60 production, as far as I can determine). Don't have a list ready to hand, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere on the web...

These are great scans by the way... Very crisp and clear...what scanner are you using?
I am not a loony... I used to be, but I think I am better now...

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

Lovely clear shots.
Remember going to Mildenhall most weekends from mid 1970s and you could walk the southern perimeter fence from Folly Road, avoiding the pig farm, and bag yourself several 135s in that scheme. Sadly I didn't do it too often, preferring to play football in the nearby industrial estate or laze around in Mickey's Tea Bar instead (remember that place?).
Thanks for posting.
Malcolm

bigcrow

Post by bigcrow »

Thanks guys for the comments. Lindsey the scanner I use is the Nikon Coolscan IV. Malcolm yes walking around the fence by the pig farm was an excellent way to spend a Sunday morning, you could get some great shots. As for Mickey's Tea Bar still the best burger I've ever tasted.. Happy days...

By the way, the first shot I've just realised was not taken at the Hall but at Fairford at a USAFE open day in August 1984.