End of an era

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
cw318is

Re: End of an era

Post by cw318is »

DanO1978 wrote:Anyone able to back me up when I say that, I reckon, the VC-10s are the last airworthy pure Vickers-designed aircraft in the world? Can't find reference to any more currently flying, or even under restoration (replicas don't count).

Then you would be wrong. A Viscount in SA as a VIP transport and 2 Viscounts still in the Congo - nobody knows if they are still in service as its a bit hard to find things out.

Are we saying the Hercules doesn't count as longest serving because whilst the type is still serving the original airframes are long gone?
DamienB wrote:Airshows aren't just about sunlit topsides chaps.

cw318is

Post by cw318is »

its a bit skewed, as Mitchell was in the employ of Supermarine pre merger but Joseph Smith who finished it was a Vickers man.
DamienB wrote:Airshows aren't just about sunlit topsides chaps.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I'm pretty sure the RR Spitfire is a Vickers built example.

Andy

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Technically, all Spitfires are were built by Vickers-Supermarine as Vickers took Supermarine over in the late 1920s or early 1930s. By the time the VC-10 appeared, Vickers was part of BAC.

hillbilly

Post by hillbilly »

DeanW wrote:
andrewman wrote:Are these the last ever flights or will there be any final delivery flights after this ?

Rumours that delivery flights are taking place next Weds 25th.

taken from the Bruntingthorpe Aircraft facebook page

"VC10 ZA147 will be making the types final ever flight on Wednesday 25th of September. She will be flying in to Bruntingthorpe at approximately 1230. GJD have very kindly said that the gates will be open for people to view this historic occasion. I will certainly be there to say my own personal farewell to The Queen Of The Skies. Hope to see you all there."

they are opening the gates to see her land :clap:
RIP RogerDodger 1943-2013 Blue skies

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

hillbilly wrote:
DeanW wrote:
andrewman wrote:Are these the last ever flights or will there be any final delivery flights after this ?

Rumours that delivery flights are taking place next Weds 25th.

taken from the Bruntingthorpe Aircraft facebook page

"VC10 ZA147 will be making the types final ever flight on Wednesday 25th of September. She will be flying in to Bruntingthorpe at approximately 1230. GJD have very kindly said that the gates will be open for people to view this historic occasion. I will certainly be there to say my own personal farewell to The Queen Of The Skies. Hope to see you all there."

they are opening the gates to see her land :clap:

Tis a shame Dunsfold aren't doing the same...

Lee606

Post by Lee606 »

They are !!! :clap: So get yourself down there,It will be Bruntingthorpe for me.

PRESS RELEASE
23 September 2013

‘Queen of the Skies’ retires to Dunsfold Park

Dunsfold Park and Brooklands Museum are pleased to announce that the last Vickers VC10 will arrive tomorrow (Tuesday 24th September) at its new permanent home, the famous Surrey airfield. The VC10, which carries the RAF serial number ZA150 was the very last VC10 of 54 built at Brooklands in the 1960s it is one of the last two flying with the RAF from Brize Norton in Oxfordshire and being retired this week.

The aircraft will be landing on the airfield at 12:30* with its six-strong aircrew and will be greeted by members of the aviation teams from Dunsfold Park and Brooklands Museum.

Jim McAllister, Chief Executive of Dunsfold Park Ltd, comments, “We are absolutely delighted to be working with Brooklands Museum to provide a new home for the Vickers ‘Queen of the Skies’ VC10. The Aerodrome has an illustrious aviation history which we are keen to remember and celebrate so this is a welcome addition to the Hunter, Sea Hawk and 747 which currently reside here.”

The RAF bought 14 new VC10s in the 1960s for strategic transport and later went on to purchase aircraft retired from the commercial market, converting a further 14 into air-to-air refuelling tankers during the 1980s and ‘90s. In total, the RAF has operated 28 VC10s of differing variants, and the aircraft conducted a range of tasks from troop and VIP transport, aero-medical missions and air sampling after nuclear tests. In recent years the VC10s have been used solely for air-to-air refuelling, with their last missions in this role having been completed on Friday 20th September. The VC10 becomes the second longest serving type in the RAF’s inventory with 47 years of service just narrowly eclipsed by the English Electric Canberra which was withdrawn in 2006.

ZA150 was originally built as 5H-MOG for East African Airways as a “Combi”, based on the Super VC10 but with a large forward freight door – which, incidentally, greatly eased the conversion of this variant into a tanker aircraft, allowing five huge fuel tanks to be installed on the main deck. After its airline service was completed, this aircraft was stored at Filton for several years before making its first flight as a tanker in 1984.

Allan Winn, Director of Brooklands Museum, says, “It is hugely important for us to have saved this aircraft as the last heavy airliner ever to be completely built at Brooklands – and indeed in the UK. But it is also significant as its retirement marks the end of an unbroken century of front-line service by Brooklands-built aircraft with the British armed forces. That is a unique record, unchallenged by any other factory-customer relationship anywhere in the world. We are delighted that Dunsfold Park has made it possible for us to house this symbolic aircraft back in Surrey.”

Dunsfold Park will be open for visitors wishing to witness this important arrival, with access via the North Gate off Stovolds Hill. Longer-term arrangements for public access to the VC10 at Dunsfold Park will be confirmed in due course.

* The arrival of the VC10 at Dunsfold is subject to weather and operational constraints: please monitor http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com or http://www.dunsfoldpark.com.

st24

Post by st24 »

DanO1978 wrote:
Russ wrote:Just a thought, but with the exception of the BBMF (if they count?), is the VC10 the longest serving RAF aircraft of all time? Certainly can't think of anything else.

VC-10 did 51 years. Canberra (in various marks) did 55, I think?

How did you get 51 years for the '10?? As my boy has said, it's 47. You're bang on with the Canberra at 55 though, and it depends if you count the Chipmunk which technically has never left RAF service as the longest serving RAF type- it's currently notched up 64 years. Other high achievers are the Puma, still going after 42 years, C-130K at 46 and the Dominie that was so cruelly dismissed also after doing 46. Nimrod managed 42 and quite surprised at the Hunter that only notched up a mere 38 in full RAF service; Tornado GR has already done 33.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

I do believe you're missing one. KF183 (the QinetiQ Harvard) was brought on charge in 1944, so presuming you don't count the last three years of it being a QinetiQ aircraft, it was in service from 1944 to 2010, 66 years!

st24

Post by st24 »

Rule 27 wrote:I do believe you're missing one. KF183 (the QinetiQ Harvard) was brought on charge in 1944, so presuming you don't count the last three years of it being a QinetiQ aircraft, it was in service from 1944 to 2010, 66 years!

Depends if you count it's MoD days as RAF service? i.e. not allocated to a RAF unit per se... :confused: Undoubtedly it's the longest serving single type of a "military" operated aircraft in the UK...

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

Good point, I discounted QinetiQ but forgot A&AEE aren't an RAF unit - duh! :wall:

f-4

Post by f-4 »

Officially Canberra was 55 years, VC10 joint second with the Chipmunk at 47 years although if you count the BBMF Chippies it's the winner at 64 years and counting. As they still serve as trainers I think it's valid - and I don't think the Spits, Hurris and Lanc do qualify!

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

I'd say operational aircraft count and others don't. Although it could be argued the Chipmunk is operational cos it is used for training, it is at the end of the day a trainer for a non-operational aircraft.

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

But then what would you define as an operational aircraft?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/operational says:
ready for use : able to be used

Which would include any and all aircraft that are flyable, surely?

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

Nope, was Canadian AF in the middle (hence is has a "modern" ZAxxx serial) so doesn't have continuous service.

Still sticking with the Harvard!

Hoveringham

Post by Hoveringham »

The last VC-10 departed RAF Brize Norton around 1500hrs. today. I saw it depart as I was sitting the garden.
A sad day!

Hovi.

st24

Post by st24 »

ZA947 only entered RAF service in 1993 when the BBMF took it on. Prior to that it was used by various test agencies from 1971 after retirement from the RCAF. It was given ZA947 as it's previous serial, KG661 actually had belonged to a DC-3 lost in an accident and so a brand spanking new allocation was given.

Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

A final VC-10 radar 'screengrab'

Another beautiful machine gone.

ALAN L

Post by ALAN L »

Heard on the radio on Wednesday morning...
''Coventry radar this is Virgin....'
''(Surprised voice) Virgin... ,Coventry radar pass your message'
' Has the VC10 passed through your zone en route to Brunty yet ?'
'Erm negative Virgin.... the weather here is 800 m viz etc, so I would imagine that there are delayed ,waiting for it to clear...'
'Ah roger that, well when you speak to them, please pass on our best wishes and thanks for all their service, from all at Virgin airlines.'
' Ah roger that Virgin...., we will do'

Or worse to that effect !
Classic Flight volunteer, Hunter Flight Academy groundie and a member of the Beech restorations team.

Andover

Post by Andover »

Ahh, that's nice to hear, thanks for that.