Concorde's 10 year anniversary

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Concorde216

Re: Concorde's 10 year anniversary

Post by Concorde216 »

DanO1978 wrote:The brass neck of British Airways to put that video together as a promotional tool, after they binned the aircraft, making damn sure a rival would never operate them...

BA had no choice but to ground the aircraft after Airbus withdrew the Type Certificate, so can you and others who say that it is all or partially BA's fault, stop that right now.

The past ten years does not seem to have educated many people who supposedly know the aviation world like the back of their hand. I have heard so many people say that BA should have given the aircraft to Branson thinking that, that would solve all the problems. Well it would not because Branson would have had seven Concordes sat firmly on the ground because the Design Authority (Airbus) withdrew the Type Certificate. No Type Certificate = no fly. Simple as that.

Furthermore, the same people who I hear blaming BA and saying that they did not care about maybe even keeping one flying for heritage flights - well that is untrue as I can categorically say that they were genuinely looking into doing so. Sadly it was realised that it would not be possible. You would still need the help of the Design Authority to support the operation.

Personally, I love the aircraft and have done all my life. I have been lucky enough to have flown on her and I would love to see the aircraft fly again, carrying passengers at Mach 2. However, I am a realist and I accepted the fact that she will never fly again and that the aim should be to get all of the aircraft properly preserved and under cover. The sadness would have been alleviated had a successor been built prior to her leaving service, but that was not to be for reasons to be debated elsewhere.

Lee606

Post by Lee606 »

No idea who the people are but what an awesome video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1ShTUVIzCI[/youtube]

:clap: :clap: :clap:

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Concorde216 wrote:
DanO1978 wrote:The brass neck of British Airways to put that video together as a promotional tool, after they binned the aircraft, making damn sure a rival would never operate them...

BA had no choice but to ground the aircraft after Airbus withdrew the Type Certificate, so can you and others who say that it is all or partially BA's fault, stop that right now.

The past ten years does not seem to have educated many people who supposedly know the aviation world like the back of their hand. I have heard so many people say that BA should have given the aircraft to Branson thinking that, that would solve all the problems. Well it would not because Branson would have had seven Concordes sat firmly on the ground because the Design Authority (Airbus) withdrew the Type Certificate. No Type Certificate = no fly. Simple as that.

Furthermore, the same people who I hear blaming BA and saying that they did not care about maybe even keeping one flying for heritage flights - well that is untrue as I can categorically say that they were genuinely looking into doing so. Sadly it was realised that it would not be possible. You would still need the help of the Design Authority to support the operation.

Personally, I love the aircraft and have done all my life. I have been lucky enough to have flown on her and I would love to see the aircraft fly again, carrying passengers at Mach 2. However, I am a realist and I accepted the fact that she will never fly again and that the aim should be to get all of the aircraft properly preserved and under cover. The sadness would have been alleviated had a successor been built prior to her leaving service, but that was not to be for reasons to be debated elsewhere.

Believe it had also been stated that a maintenance mandated aged aircraft update programme would have been a very imminent necessary requirement for the aircraft to be allowed to continue to fly by the respective regulatory authorities and Airbus did not consider it both financially and technically viable to do this for such a small amount of aircraft in service ( The majority of their design staff were heavily involved in the projects coming on line at that time (i.e.A380)

Maisie

Post by Maisie »

I find it highly amusing that there are people out there that think they could raise the cash to get one to fly? (Seriously?)

It's done and dusted, sadly.

I will have to get some photos up of my dads from the flypast over LHR with the Red Arrows..
6D | 7D | 60D
11-16 f/2.8 | 24-105 IS L | 70-300 IS USM | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8 | 400 f/5.6

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

I remember one of a small number of occasions I'd seen Concorde,especially watching it fly circuits and bumps from PIK in the 70's from the kitchen window in Kilwinning as it buzzed Ardeer and Pennyburn,when I moved to Edinburgh I remember seeing it a few more times,when they opened the Scottish parliament I was on my way back from Gorgie with computer gear and just turning back into Willowbrae when it flew over with the Reds,you can imagine I was delighted at seeing it whilst turning the air a deep shade of blue at missing the photo opportunity as I was still in my car and just yards from home! Its last flight I do remember,my then girlfriend was phoning me up to find out where it was as I had the scanner on the go,we both eventually saw it from different places. My sister worked in the labs at Newbridge and in the car park it came roaring overhead as it left EDI whilst I was on the phone to her,car alarms going nuts everywhere! Won't ever see anything of that nature again,we've been privileged!
Card carrying aviation addict!

Der

Post by Der »

This little link is my favourite youtube Concorde video. Bring a tear to a glass eye....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ute97z9LfKQ

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

I have a couple of old videos of concorde which I'm trying to find.

I just stumbled upon one, it's clear that I've yelled to my dad "Concorde!" and he has run out with the video camera a touch late, just long enough to catch a white slither on the horizon going into Heathrow.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Concorde team at Manchester AVP manage to get -AC electrics and hydraulics working before the CAA halted? I love the aircraft to bits but I can't envisage her back in the air. It's sad but unfortunately it's the truth. ..
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

2e1var

Post by 2e1var »

Ledheadpilot27 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Concorde team at Manchester AVP manage to get -AC electrics and hydraulics working before the CAA halted? I love the aircraft to bits but I can't envisage her back in the air. It's sad but unfortunately it's the truth. ..

Is it anything to do with the CAA ? Surely Brunty's Victor incident showed they have no interestin live museum pieces (even if they do get airbourne from time to time)

Rich
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Ledheadpilot27 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Concorde team at Manchester AVP manage to get -AC electrics and hydraulics working before the CAA halted? I love the aircraft to bits but I can't envisage her back in the air. It's sad but unfortunately it's the truth. ..

According to reports online it was Manchester airport and not the CAA who halted the work on the aircraft..the CAA would have no interest in a static aircraft in a building it's not capable of moving out of

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Correct. Part of the agreement to receive one was that it was to remain "dead". No applying electrical or hydraulic services. Plus there was the usual H&S issues.

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

F-BTSD still has some semblance of life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZdpzo1qBIU

They were talking about making it taxiable a couple of years ago - dont know if they are still hoping to do that.
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

vulcan558

Post by vulcan558 »

Yes only chance of any Concorde to fly would be an ex air France type,
yes Concorde F-BTSD is in a prime state, Airbus was thinking of using it as a test bed. I have a feeling that one will fly again some day.
it will not be a British one thou.

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

vulcan558 wrote:Yes only chance of any Concorde to fly would be an ex air France type,
yes Concorde F-BTSD is in a prime state, Airbus was thinking of using it as a test bed. I have a feeling that one will fly again some day.
it will not be a British one thou.

Only in a fantasy world, I'm afraid! :sad:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

Airbus was thinking of using it as a test bed. I have a feeling that one will fly again some day

I think it extremely unlikely - but NASA did resurrect a TU144 for a while after it had been retired for some years - but they did throw gazillions of $$$$ at it.
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

2e1var wrote:Is it anything to do with the CAA ? Surely Brunty's Victor incident showed they have no interestin live museum pieces (even if they do get airbourne from time to time)

CAA can't/wont do anything about a former military aircraft that has no civilian registration, though I believe they would have gotten involved had the same thing had happened to their Comet!

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

They did get involved. I don't know the ins and outs so can't comment further.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Gregg wrote:They did get involved. I don't know the ins and outs so can't comment further.

I would think it was far more likely to have been the Air Accident Investigation Branch than the C.A.A........Though possibly the C.A.A. might have been interested in the credentials of the "unintentional P.I.C".
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

It was the CAA. Like I said, don't recall the outcome etc do I can't comment further.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

It was the CAA;

An investigation was launched by the CAA as neither the pilot or co-pilot were licensed to fly.

No legal action was taken because CAA investigators found no intention to breach the rules and that the incident occurred because the co-pilot had frozen.

Source: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Pilot-averted-disaster-Cold-War-bomber-lifted-runway/story-12033622-detail/story.html

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

I stand corrected.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

As fantastic as it was, and truly it was the only aircraft we would stop what we were doing in the tower at LHR to watch, it's reliability later in life was shocking, and no way conduicive to maintaining a commercial service.

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

Gonzo230 wrote:As fantastic as it was, and truly it was the only aircraft we would stop what we were doing in the tower at LHR to watch, it's reliability later in life was shocking, and no way conduicive to maintaining a commercial service.

That's quite a statement, presumably your view from the tower gave you full sight of all the maintenance records then?
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

I'd imagine his statement is based on the number of "Heathrow Delivery/Ground/Tower*, Speedbird 1/2/3/4*, we've got a technical issue so will need to remain on/return to* stand" (*delete as applicable).

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

Exactly correct Rule27.