How do I get to Zhukovsky Please ?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
chipmunk22

How do I get to Zhukovsky Please ?

Post by chipmunk22 »

Hello,
Cannot find this on any threads,sorry if I have missed it.

I am making plans to visit MAKS 2015,for a couple days,and also the air force museum at Monino.
I will be flying to Domodedovo airport,and wondered if anyone has any info about getting to Zhukovsky.
Preferebly public transport,or possibly hiring a car.I have heard driving in Russia is very hazardous.

Understand I need a permit to visit the Monino museum - how is this obtained ? I doubt an e-mail would work ?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Many Thanks

Chipmunk22

Tim Laurence

Re: How do I get to Zhukovsky Please ?

Post by Tim Laurence »

Happy to help.

From Domodedovo, take the express train to Paveletskaya station. This only takes about 40 minutes.

When you arrive, take the metro from here using 'brown line #2' and travel 3 stops in the anti-clockwise direction to Komsomolskaya.

From here, transfer back on to the over ground mainline network at Kazanskiy station (linked by a 100m walk subway).

To get to MAKS, you need to take the local stopping service that operates to Platforma 47km as its destination. Vacate the train at the station called Otdykh (best to refer to google maps). The journey takes about 55 minutes, but is only about £3. Outside the station are free shuttle buses to Zhukovsky airfield.

This method has served me very well on several occasions. Unfortunately, I have not been to Monino to be able to offer advice.

Hope this helps. Enjoy MAKS 2015!

Tim
@timlaurencephotography

chipmunk22

Post by chipmunk22 »

Many thanks Tim for the excellent directions. :clap:

Kind Regards

Chipmunk22

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

I went to Monino about 3 years ago and did not have to apply for any kind of pass. I just turned up. It is a bit of a trek from central Moscow - but worth it. I found good directions somewhere online at the time but have long since forgotten where :sad: I'm sure a bit of time on Google will help you.

Take a look here for a preview http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22794

Andy :smile:

chipmunk22

Post by chipmunk22 »

Thanks Andy,after looking at your pics,I really ,really want to visit Monino.
The Russians made some fantastic looking machines .
I will find a way .

Colin

shaggy101

Post by shaggy101 »

Monino is brilliant. You even get a few overflights from nearby Chkalavsky if you're lucky as well :smile: They do keep moving things around though, & adding a lick of paint to certain aircraft from time to time as well. The MIL V-12 looks a lot different from now from 2010 when Andy took those shots. There are still a few in a poor condition mind

Shameless plug but here are mine, taken last year http://www.flickr.com/photos/80808197@N ... 381466582/
Dan,

chipmunk22

Post by chipmunk22 »

Cracking shots Dan,some iconic Russian hardware there :smile:
How did you get to Monino :question:

I believe F4 Aviation run a trip to MAKS and Monino.
They are based in Netherlands but I could hopefully tie up with them in Moscow.
I work for British Airways,so can get a reasonable flight price.
A long way off,but looks like a lot of planning is needed.. :dizzy:

Regards

Colin

shaggy101

Post by shaggy101 »

chipmunk22 wrote:I believe F4 Aviation run a trip to MAKS and Monino.
They are based in Netherlands but I could hopefully tie up with them in Moscow.

Are you thinking of 4Aviation? If so that's who I went with. The only hard part was getting to & from Holland. I had to go a day earlier because it was an early flight to Hamburg. Also had to leave a day later as well, we were pretty much the last flight in to Schipol so I had to stay the night again.

In terms of planning I didn't think it was too hard tbh, even obtaining a visa wasn't difficult. All the questions I asked were answered very timely by Russian Embassy staff.

4Aviation did all the arrangements regarding flights to & from from Schipol, the hotels, transport around Moscow, all the visits (monino included amongst others) & sorting out an interpreter. Couldn't recommend them highly enough really.
Dan,

chipmunk22

Post by chipmunk22 »

Yes Dan,on closer inspection,it is 4 Aviation :oops: Just put 4 with F for some reason !!

It does seem the tour,if they run one in 2015,will overcome a lot of problems of doing it `on my own`
Will keep an eye on the website.

Cheers

Colin