No RAF Waddington airshow in 2015

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Re: No RAF Waddington airshow in 2015

Post by MarkL »

motormouser wrote:A bit more info in the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auZ62rS2eyQ

:grin:
HTAFC

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Just an opinion,

but I imagine nothing will be revealed regarding the comprehensive airshow policy review (originally announced back in September 2013) until after the Scottish independence referendum. I believe this is relevant because the R.A.F. will be wanting to know just what the long term R.A.F. will look like as far as can be predicted. If its a no vote, then I can see an announcement being made shortly afterwards possibly announcing some new chiefly R.A.F. sponsored event in Scotland and a return to Waddington as of 2016. Or some overall similar new format format. If it is a yes vote for independence, I would expect nothing would be annouced until a clearer picture of just what kind of relationship the R.A.F. will have with an indpendent Scotland in both the short and the long term and if such a development could lead to further significant reduction in service personnel and equipment, oh and bases as well.

FB :biggrin:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-28226410

The report on the BBC here has a typically media style negative tone and again all they can think about is the Red Arrows. But it would be a queer state of affairs if the Navy were the only military arm in the UK to hold airshows from 2015 or 16 forward. I certainly hope they aren't looking at some radical change in approach, a modern and more "dynamic" form of presentation in order to appeal (unnecessarily) to the wider community. :roll:

f-4

Post by f-4 »

RAF will put all of its eggs into the RIAT basket from now on, essentially outsourcing its air show commitments. But of course as soon as the show makes a loss, the plug will be pulled. Expect every effort will be made until 2018 and the RAF's centenary, but after that...

DeltaPapa

Post by DeltaPapa »

Personally I don't think they would give 2 hoots about retaining an air show for celebrating the centenary. They will be happy with a flypast over Buck House.

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

The post-airshow survey asks the question:
"Do you plan to attend the show in 2016?" ....... so it appears that someone expects there to be a 2016 show

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Can you give me a link to the survey
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

trebleone wrote:The post-airshow survey asks the question:
"Do you plan to attend the show in 2016?" ....... so it appears that someone expects there to be a 2016 show

That post sounds very familiar... :whistle: :lol:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

SilentFlight

Post by SilentFlight »

Beefy

Post by Beefy »

trebleone wrote:The post-airshow survey asks the question:

I really wouldn't take that as meaning there are ANY plans in place for a 2016 airshow at Waddington. If it has been said that the situation will be reviewed, then basically the show is over.

adamp89

Post by adamp89 »

whilst trying to be positive about the situation, but the MOD have just been handed a massive budget cut for free without having to cut regular operations
Adam

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

What will it say about the principal air arm and its can do attitude if the the largest one day military airshow from here on is going to be, by default, in the hands of the Royal Navy! Mind you with what they've got, Royal Air Force participation or not, they do a good job, particularly Yeovilton. But I do like the ease with which one can get in and out at Culdrose, reminds me of yesteryear! :cuppa:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

RAF top brass might well see RIAT as "their" primary show from now on.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Wissam24 wrote:RAF top brass might well see RIAT as "their" primary show from now on.

But it won't be, it will still be an airshow run by the Royal Air Force Charitable Trust Enterprises. While the Royal Air Force contribution is increasingly, as seen this year, likely to appear insignificant to that made by overseas air arms. Look at the degree of participation by the Italian Air Force, you'd think it was their show if anyone's!

In the meantime, the Royal Navy still run their's, and quite successfully, at Culdrose and Yeovilton, to all intents and purposes, their only two airbases as such. Are the R.A.F. saying they are too busy with day to day operations at Aldergrove, Odiham, Benson, Marham, Wittering, Brize Norton, Coningsby, Cranwell, Leeming, Valley, Linton-on-Ouse, Lossiemouth etc to mhold even one subtantial airshow, even just following the process that the Belgian and Dutch follow of selecting one airfield each year and concentrating their resources there, which always includes an additional effort which is reserved just for their one main show. Again, purely an observation.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

FB
I think Wittering would be a good substitute for 2015. Long runway, good access from at least 3 different directions and substantial parking (and it's only 30 minutes from home :smile: ).

The only issue would be warning the SoloTurk pilot not to land on the A1.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

And the lack of suitable hardstanding, taxiways and runway? :whistle:

What's Wittering's PCN now?

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Well unless Wittering is covered with hordes of Grob Tutors, or the ramps are now covered in trucks I think it still has bags of space

And having worked near there, I can say the village entrance can be a fun place to get into........

TS

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Wittering would be a fantastic site if the runway was cleared for full use - recall hearing some of it was out of use? An ideal location though undoubtedly.

DeltaPapa

Post by DeltaPapa »

They deemed Leeming to be too close the A1, Wittering is even nearer.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

DeltaPapa wrote:They deemed Leeming to be too close the A1, Wittering is even nearer.

Yet they held airshows there in the 1990s!??!?

As for Wittering, are we really sure that a former V-Bomber airbase lacks sufficient hardstandings? Further it can hardly be described as an airfield which has gone unused for many years, it only recently ceased being the home of the Harrier O.C.U.

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

Finningley Boy wrote:As for Wittering, are we really sure that a former V-Bomber airbase lacks sufficient hardstandings?

I didn't say sufficient, I said suitable. There is a difference.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Rule 27 wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:As for Wittering, are we really sure that a former V-Bomber airbase lacks sufficient hardstandings?

I didn't say sufficient, I said suitable. There is a difference.

Well ok unsuitable then,the point still holds, why unsuitable? has it not been maintained for several years or something?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Arrivals would be pretty useless unless they let people on base. The A15 at Waddo is bad enough. :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

I recall meetings back in the 80s about military airshow orgnaisation and the reason given that Wittering had never hosted a significant open day/show was the likelihood of tailbacks on the A1 and chaos on the local roads. Cottesmore of course is a little further from that wretched road! Otherwise it would be a great airshow venue.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!