Red Flag Photographer Insight

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
davechng

Red Flag Photographer Insight

Post by davechng »

I have written an article to give photographer information on photographing for Red FLag Excercise.

Here is the link to the site

http://airwingspotter.com/red-flag-14-3-aviation-photography-insight/

there will be lots of pics of the recent Red flag 14-3 that I attended.

DaveC
http://www.airwingspotter.com
http://www.airwingspotter.com Dedicated to all Military Aircraft spotting

boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Red Flag Photographer Insight

Post by boff180 »

I have to be honest, and please don't take this as having a go for the sake of it, I say this only to help you improve.

These photos are extremely poor quality.

The images are very very soft to the point where some look like they are out of focus, to compensate you have massively oversharpened the rest of the image. Most images are also underexposed for the most part, they are also full of noise. Some have also been resized incorrectly without constraining proportion completely distorting the image (2nd F-16 looking 10ft short as an example).

I don't know what equipment you are using but I would suggest it either has an autofocus problem or the lens is of a very poor quality. I would also suggest reading up on some post processing techniques and calibrating your monitor.

Red Flag is an awesome experience even from outside so kudos to attending the event.

Andy

stevebrodie

Post by stevebrodie »

I have to agree with the previous post, wish is very polite and informative. Wonder if its a DOF issue as certain parts look quite sharp but the rest of the plane isnt - wrong f-stop ?. Anyway keep going- Rome wasn't built in a day as I am sure Andy would agree with. :smile:
Viper: Good morning, gentlemen, the temperature is 110 degrees

Rumwolf

Post by Rumwolf »

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a "DOF issue"? I haven't come across the term before.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

DOF = Depth of Field.

Depending on the Aperture of the shot, the distance that is in focus varies (known as Depth of Field). As a result, large objects at strange angles can appear to have part in focus and the rest out of focus if there is a DOF issue. When used creatively it is how you can have your subject tack sharp but your background completely out of focus.

Eg: at F2.8, the DOF might be only 2 metres from closest to furthest point in focus. However at F22 this could be hundreds of metres.

The downside being, the wider the DOF/Aperture, the slower the shutter speed!

Andy

747woody

Post by 747woody »

Rumwolf

Post by Rumwolf »

Thanks Andy. Very helpful.