2015 Airshow Dates Announced

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
MRTT

2015 Airshow Dates Announced

Post by MRTT »

Just a quick post to say that the IWM Duxford Airshow dates for 2015 have been announced

VE Day Anniversary Air Show, Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 May
The VE Day Anniversary Air Show pays tribute to the men, women and children who endured six years of conflict on the fighting fronts and the Home Front of the Second World War.

Our flying display honours the Allied forces, and their aircraft, from across the world, which contributed towards Victory in Europe. Across the museum, we remember the fortitude of the British people on the Home Front and evoke the spirit of celebration and weary relief with which they marked VE Day.

Join us as we commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE Day and the people who made victory possible.

Flying Legends Air Show, Saturday 11 and Sunday 12 July
The Flying Legends Air Show is famous the world over for its unique presentations of historic piston-engined aircraft in rare combinations and remarkable flying displays. Complementing the ‘wow!’ factor in the air is the authentic 1940s atmosphere that can be experienced across the museum.

The flying display promises an unmissable fusion of power, sound, excitement and nostalgia as iconic piston-engined aircraft from across the globe perform their breathtaking flights over IWM Duxford’s historic airfield.

The balbo, a massed-formation finale, featuring many of the aircraft which have taken part in the stunning flying display, is unique to the Flying Legends Air Show and a world-renowned spectacle.

Join us for the world-famous Flying Legends Air Show; a unique air show experience.

The Battle of Britain Anniversary Air Show, Saturday 12 and Sunday 13 September
The Battle of Britain Anniversary Air Show commemorates the 75th anniversary of the aerial battle that proved a strategic turning point in the Second World War.

We remember RAF Duxford’s role in the Battle of Britain, as the home of the first squadron to fly Spitfires and also for some of the RAF’s best-known fighter pilots, including Douglas Bader.

We honour the men and women who worked tirelessly behind the scenes to ensure that those iconic aircraft took to the skies to continue the fight for aerial supremacy.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Mooshie1956

Re: 2015 Airshow Dates Announced

Post by Mooshie1956 »

Noooo they all seem good shows and I can only really afford one Duxford show a year :sad:
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

No October show again :sad:

neilos

Post by neilos »

Just pinged an email to work to ask for the time off for them..... :biggrin:

Lets hoping Duxford get their butts into gear by then and sorts the car parking/ticket issues out...... :whistle:

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Visiting Battle of Britain Anniversary event- looking forward to it, first time at Duxford.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Bring back the Autumn show please!!!
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

The Autumn show was one of the highlights for me too, often with lovely clear weather and some little gems in the schedule
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Lee606

Post by Lee606 »

Bringing back the Autum show easily gets my vote also.

jayne_morris

Post by jayne_morris »

why has the show in october been dropped ?

Hasboman

Post by Hasboman »

jayne_morris wrote:why has the show in october been dropped ?

I think the weather last year was enough to put them off - saying that Legends (Sunday) wasn't that much better this year!

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

Not to mention is was absolutely freezing! It's a shame, but I took the picture below at about 3pm during last year's October Show at the M11 end, having arrived just as the first display act took off to find the northern car park only half full. Poor attendances, poor weather = no airshow I guess :sad:

https://twitter.com/tomlantaff/status/3 ... 20/photo/1

james908

Post by james908 »

jayne_morris wrote:why has the show in october been dropped ?

Thought it was due to the budget allowing them to have a two day may show as opposed to single day which had been the case before this year in order to get a two day D-Day airshow.

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

NO! There is no 'Duxford Air Show'?!

There goes my chance of seeing a 727 display next year etc. I loved the Duxford Air Show as there were a wide variety of displays. Everything the same type of display in 2015, no variety of display types by the sound of it, a bad year for Duxford it will be indeed

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

CameronSys wrote:NO! There is no 'Duxford Air Show'?!

There goes my chance of seeing a 727 display next year etc. I loved the Duxford Air Show as there were a wide variety of displays. Everything the same type of display in 2015, no variety of display types by the sound of it, a bad year for Duxford it will be indeed

There is- Battle of Britain Anniversary Show is the September show for next year.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

I think the VE Day show is likely to clash with La Ferte Alais.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

WarbirdTails

Post by WarbirdTails »

Great shame that the October show hasn't returned.
Was hoping it would be one off for the D-day show.

Here's hoping it returns in 2016!

The prospect of Duxford outdoing the 2010 Spitfire gathering is quite exciting though.
Historic Aviation and Airshow Blog: http://www.warbirdtails.net Twitter: @WarbirdTails

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

The Battle of Britain show has been moved back a week to the 19th/20th.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

itfcscott wrote:The Battle of Britain show has been moved back a week to the 19th/20th.

Obviously didn't want to share acts with Southend Air Festival then.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

So it didn't clash with the Goodwood Revival on 11/13Sept15.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

patrouille2001

Post by patrouille2001 »

Duxford now clashes with Southport in September

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

CameronSys wrote:Everything the same type of display in 2015, no variety of display types by the sound of it, a bad year for Duxford it will be indeed

That seems very premature to me. I mean, at least let them publish a participation list before counting it as a bad year? :dunno:

Looks good to me imho.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

No variety of display types - That can be said about every air show, not just Duxford. RIAT, Old Warden, Little Gransden immediately come to mind.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

patrouille2001 wrote:Duxford now clashes with Southport in September

Southport isn't going to make much difference to Duxford.

Goodwood does make a difference with Duxford as various operators based at DX attend the Revival year on year.

I can already name one aircraft that I'm sure the Revival will be all over, yet I'm sure Duxford will want her for their Battle of Britain anniversary as well.

Goodwood will most likely have a Battle of Britain theme as well in some shape or form.
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I said this on Twitter yesterday.

Duxfords 2015 show offering is nothing short of poor and will likely damage certain warbird operators in the process. One of the most likely to suffer will be Sally B.

Duxford must change their format, spending £30 for a 2 or 3 hour display every few months is no longer acceptable or viable for the General public. Yes there is the privilege of the flight line walk at extra money as a result however this does not predicate a shorter flying display.

The current Duxford format is boring especially for children... Forcing them to wander round a museum or sit around doing nothing for hours is poor. They need to offer more choice.

Open the flight line walk much earlier, say from gate opening and close it at say 1030/1100, commence flying at 1100/1130 and run it through to 1700/1730. That would offer more selection for the general punter giving them the choice of watching the flying or going round the museum, just like at any other show, with the flightline walk retained. As Scott pointed out in our conversation, it may also attract people back for a return visit to see more of the museum!

As it stands the Duxford airshow format is a dying duck which has massive implications for the UK warbird scene. It needs to change to survive.

Andy

jimbob1194

Post by jimbob1194 »

How do you see warbird operators getting damaged from DX's events?

Take your example Sally B, she will be at all three of those shows and from what I hear she already has quite a few bookings for next year and the trip to Payerne apparently was a big boost financially.

James
The Mustang won't do what a Spitfire does, but it does it over Berlin.