Lancasters over the Dam

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
bigcrow

Lancasters over the Dam

Post by bigcrow »

After a couple of failed attempts I finally managed to photograph the two Lancaster's together. Sunday saw a once in a lifetime sight most likely never to be repeated again. The last two airworthy Avro Lancaster's flying over Derwent Dam re-creating the famous Dambusters raid where it was practiced. A truly epic day which will live long in the memory.

ImagePA474 & C-GVRA Avro Lancaster B1 BBMF & CWHM by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

ImagePA474 & C-GVRA Avro Lancaster B1 BBMF & CWHM by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

ImageC-GVRA Avro 683 Lancaster B10 CWHM by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Last edited by bigcrow on Wed 24 Sep 2014, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Airwolfhound

Re: Lancasters over the Dam

Post by Airwolfhound »

I do like that 2nd shot, nice :clap:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

st24

Post by st24 »

Airwolfhound wrote:I do like that 2nd shot, nice :clap:

Ditto, a superb imge Stu... :worship:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

iGol66

Post by iGol66 »

Very nice, looks like the trip to Derwent Dam was worth it just for the pics

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

The 2nd one is great stuff. Love it.

bigcrow

Post by bigcrow »

Thanks guys, I felt truly privileged to finally see the pair of them at such a poignant venue, there have been a number of moaners out there not enough topsides, flying too high, too far apart. I would have enjoyed seeing them even without a camera.
What I do find a little strange is the guys who have no interest in them at all particularly the fast jet fraternity, don't quite get that.. Waiting on the hillside for the 2nd pass on Sunday & hearing the rumble of eight merlin engines behind the trees getting louder & louder & then appearing over the hill ridge will live long long in the memory & something we will probably never see again?

st24

Post by st24 »

bigcrow wrote:all particularly the fast jet fraternity, don't quite get that..

Unwashed heathen, unfit to walk God's green earth... :grin:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

marpleman

Post by marpleman »

That second picture is just so totally brilliant! :worship:

So much historical meaning to that part of the tour, I'm sure the crews must have felt humbled by the experience !

Due to personal circumstances, I've not been able to get around the airshow scene this year, and had given up any chance of seeing "Vera" together with the BBMF Lanc. However fate took a twist on Sunday, as we had a private family gathering in Southport to remember a close family member who sadly passed away recently, and whilst playing with the kids in the garden, I heard the "rumble" to then be greeted with the two aircraft passing low directly overhead.

I've been to too many airshows etc than I care to mention, but recognising that sound could only be two aircraft, the anticipation was something I have not experienced for a long time, as first one and then the other appeared over the rooftops. We were then treated to two more passes before they both departed.
Even though I wasn't on the seafront at the display, it was poignant enough to remain with me as one of "those" moments!

Tonka 617

Post by Tonka 617 »

Number 2 is a brilliant shot :clap:

Peter345

Post by Peter345 »

That second one is something else, capturing the moment beautifully.
Looks like the same location I was at but I only took my 300mm prime lens so missed that shot. Ah well, maybe next time...

Peter

bigcrow

Post by bigcrow »

Cheers guys, yeah I'm pleased with #2 that was the shot I had in my mind from the day, some guys were saying they should have been lower, but they may well of been lost in the foliage..