Halifax and Mosquito by night

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
ianf

Halifax and Mosquito by night

Post by ianf »

Now the Article in Flypast is out I can share some shots with you. Last month I got a phone call off the museum asking, could I go over midweek to help with some filming work the BBC was doing and do the night shoot I had always been asking to do? I did not take any persuading! I arrived early afternoon to see the museum's reproduction Hallifax half way out of the Hanger. This in its self is very rare. normally the centre piece of the main hanger it usually only makes very brief appearances out for a few hours to be washed. It has only been outside properly twice in the last 6 years! The filming was for a antique road trip show. I waited for filming to begin and with it being a warm sunny September day. I took advantage of the fact that aircraft were out to allow the Halifax to be were it was. So Tony's Mossie was a must.

2.The film work actually went on quite late after the museum closed.

4. Then it was a mad rush to set all my lighting up to do the Halifax. Once done I had a bit of time waiting for it to go dark. So I got some sunset shots on the Nimrod and of course Lindy!

7.Then it was time to concentrate on the Halifax. We are not sure, but believe a Halifax has never been the subject of a photo shoot at night before. indeed it may be the war when someone last took a night time shot! So I was quite nervous not to mess it up!

15.With the mossie outside I also wanted to shoot that so I left 2 lights on the Halifax and set a long exposure whilst I moved the lights over to the mossie.

16.Tony Agar's beautiful mossie

I have for some time been working on returning the Night shoot to Elvington and indeed before this shoot happened, it had been agreed to have a shoot next March. With a selection of aircraft. Well once the museum saw my pictures of the Halifax they wanted it to be the centrepiece of next March's shoot! Well I could hardly argue with this :biggrin:

So Night shoot VI will feature the Halifax and other Aircraft. At the moment the only other aircraft I can confirmed is the Museum's recently returned to taxi status DC 3 Dakota. This will start an extra dimension to the shoots in it is intended to run it's engines at night for the first time. The museum would like to have an idea of the numbers wanting to attend as the Halifax certainly looks likely to be a once only appearance at night.
The museum has put out this statement.
Yorkshire Air Museum is considering a night-shoot event in March 2015. Featuring Halifax Friday the 13th. The YAM,s live Douglas Dakota may also make it's Nocturnal debut with it's engines running. Expressions of interest for such a limited availability event are invited in order to assess its viability. Those responding will be in receipt of early information.
E-mail pr@yorkshireairmuseum.org or call 01904 608595

I shall keep you in touch and give you the news when I can.

Thanks for looking
Ian
Last edited by ianf on Fri 19 Dec 2014, 7:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

flashman8

Re: Halifax and Mosquito by night

Post by flashman8 »

you lucky so and so, that's a great set of pictures there, nice to see Friday 13th out in the open................ :yahoo:
Sony A700, A550, , Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, 50,70-300GSSM,Tamron 17-50,90mm

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

to think you are probably the first person that has took night pics of a halifax since the war. Stunning pics as Ian and i like the Star trails in the near head on shot
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

ndcave

Post by ndcave »

The Halifax night shoot is now confirmed and is happening on the 13th of March 2015. The event is being run jointly with the Yorkshire Air Museum, Ian Finch and TimeLine Events.

Here is a link to the event for further information and online bookings.

http://www.timelineevents.org/product.p ... march-2015

Jeff Hunt

Post by Jeff Hunt »

No. 11 for me, simply top shelf. Rarity plays a big part but I wold vote this as photo of the year on the site ( from all the ones I have seen )

Cheers,

Jeff

Hope many of you can attend in March and give this event proper coverage. Those of us who cannot be there will be wishing it otherwise.