Cavok Air AN-12 over Southampton

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
rich1876

Cavok Air AN-12 over Southampton

Post by rich1876 »

Anyone any idea where this comes from? My flight radar app has it starting in a field in Leicestershire and ending mid Bay of Biscay. Can they turn off the thingy that the app picks up on?

I can tell it's overhead given the noise, even the wife picks up on it now!!!

Rich

MRTT

Re: Cavok Air AN-12 over Southampton

Post by MRTT »

rich1876 wrote:Anyone any idea where this comes from? My flight radar app has it starting in a field in Leicestershire and ending mid Bay of Biscay. Can they turn off the thingy that the app picks up on?

I can tell it's overhead given the noise, even the wife picks up on it now!!!

Rich

Would help you but my FR24 has broken. I wish they would, had it tell me once an aircraft had taken off from my house. :confused:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

Could possibly be from East Midlands Airport (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Midlands_Airport) I've heard one over Stratford-upon-Avon during the evening for the last couple of weeks.

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

Go on the FR24 website and read up about MLAT, then you won't need to ask such daft questions ;)

Mr Bear

Post by Mr Bear »

Chris,
this doesn't explain why the pilots would switch the transponder off. Always over the Bay of Biscay.
This has happened four times over the last few weeks, the AN12 in question is shown on FR as
"No callsign" too.

I, like rich (original post), are just curious because it seems a bit "hush, hush" in the way it appears to
not fly from an airfield, no callsign and disappears from the screen over the bay of Biscay.
Regards, Mr Bear

EGDR

Post by EGDR »

They don't turn their transponders off, if you did what Chris said and read up on MLAT and how FR24 performs it you would see it needs 4 receivers feeding the aircraft's mode s data in order to get a location (this is only the case for mode s only aircraft, most airliners use ADS-B and send out position data anyway), so when the aircraft gets out into the bay there aren't enough receivers within range in order for it to be located and plotted on the map. This also explains why they do not appear to take off from an airfield, as at that point they would be too low for an MLAT in most areas.

The "no callsign" thing is usually just FR24 filtering out whatever the crew have entered into the transponder if it's not an actual callsign, quite often with the An-12s this is "@@@@@@@@" or similar, so not much point in showing it on screen anyway.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

I've heard a very distinctive multi-prop climbing very hard over southern Hampshire several evenings in the last couple of weeks. Will make a note of time & direction next time & see if there's a tie-in?

rich1876

Post by rich1876 »

Thanks for some of the replies, as I said just curious.

Mr Bear

Post by Mr Bear »

Thank you Kyle,
still not convinced though.
I have "followed" this aircraft on three separate occasions in the last two weeks
and it "disappears" in different places, always over the Bay of Bisacay.
Any ideas?
Regards, Mr Bear

EGDR

Post by EGDR »

Some receivers may not be feeding at that moment, the weather may not permit the Mode S signals to be carried a sufficient distance, or simply because the aircraft's route is slightly different. There's nothing 'hush hush' going on, this kind of thing happens every day.

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

Kyle, you might as well drop the act, we all know this aircraft is a secret government experiment to see if they can lay chemtrails using stealth aircraft. :wall:

Mr Bear

Post by Mr Bear »

I take it you like Status Qou Chris.

Wish I'd never bothered now, I'll leave you to it

Regards, Mr Bear

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

Don't mind a bit of Quo.

I'm not sure what else you're trying to find out? FlightRadar24's MLAT page and Kyle (above) have explained the technicalities of MLAT quite well, which explains why aircraft don't appear on the ground, but once they have passed a couple of thousand feet in altitude. They also explain why aircraft "disappear" from the screen at a certain point, in this case the Bay of Biscay.

Now, you are clearly after something more, but I can't really work out what - maybe you could elaborate on what you think is happening, so we can help?

NickB

Post by NickB »

I have heard this a/c type fly over Newbury on several occasions now - usually at 20.30HRS and it is always heading South and I think it's destination is always Central/Southern Spain. Its makes a very distinctive sound (drone) and even my g/f recognises it now! Would love to see it in daylight - I think it has quite smoky engines :-)

I too have wondered what is has been contracted to deliver?

Any ideas?

exocet_uk

Post by exocet_uk »

Parts for a car manufacturer located very close to BHX.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Well I said I would note it next time! Thursday 27th @ 20:30 heading due south @ medium altitude & climbing. All Mk1 ear-drum! Any of you guys 'see it' on your FR. MLAT thingys?

blueskytoday

Post by blueskytoday »

It's UR-CCP - the second oldest AN-12 still flying! Check out Flightradar24 playback, it goes from somewhere south of Spain to East Midlands, then back the following day. Seems to have been doing this for weeks now.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Yep - had it over Rugby last night at about 8pm - I had visitors and put FlightRadar on to investigate what the distinctive prop noise was to show them, and lo-and-behold it was a AN-12. Info on it was sparse, apart from the picture on Flight Radar - seemed to be heading southwards.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

blueskytoday

Post by blueskytoday »

Pretty sure it's being used for the Ebola aid run between West Africa and EMA. There's a photo at EMA http://www.flickr.com/photos/123753579@N08/15906830735. On days it flies it usually arrives EMA 8 to 8-30pm and departs about the same time the next day.

blueskytoday

Post by blueskytoday »

UR-CCP is currently passing Madrid (5-10pm) heading up to East Midlands on the usual CVK7002 flight. Should be crossing south coast sometime after 7 this evening.

Rick

Post by Rick »

UR-CJN on this flight tonight according to FR24
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

centaurus18

Post by centaurus18 »

My cloth ear gave me the impression it was in use last night as well...
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'

Rick

Post by Rick »

centaurus18 wrote:My cloth ear gave me the impression it was in use last night as well...

It was, UR-CJN again on FR24.
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

We've been getting one over here at High Wycombe quite often lately. The times seem to be either 7ish or 10ish in the evening. Last night it was at 10.15. You can here it coming from miles away if it's quiet outside.
...Rad shutters auto.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

We've been getting one over here at High Wycombe quite often lately. The times seem to be either 7ish or 10ish in the evening. Last night it was at 10.15. You can here it coming from miles away if it's quiet outside. Looked quickly on FR24 and I think it was CAK.?
...Rad shutters auto.