Start times.

Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
Lee606

Start times.

Post by Lee606 »

Why do Duxford insist on starting their airshows at 2pm.6hours waiting time is pushing anyone's patience.Just wondering if there was an official reason for it.

Pen Pusher

Re: Start times.

Post by Pen Pusher »

Why not e-mail Duxford and find out?.

6 hours is probably pushing your patience but doesn't seem to bother other air show visitors judging by the numbers that are there at gates open.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Other shows (notably Shuttleworth) also do not start the display until about 1400.

I, and I'm sure many others, much prefer a relaxed morning, wandering about looking at the statics, the stalls and any other ground displays/attractions then have a leisurely lunch before the flying starts rather than have to rush to see everything else without the risk of missing some of the display.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

Probably to give people time to go to the museum as well should they wish but without missing the display. Probably also the be more family friendly to get higher attendance because obviously you don't have to leave so early.

I am happy enough with a 1400 start because it reduces back lighting on the aircraft. If you aren't happy with a 6 hours wait, leave later. I get to Duxford 2 hours before show start and can always find a spot on the crowdline in a nice location.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Duxford could extend their flying display like other air shows by having just one act in the air at a time. Plus point with Duxford is that you have 3+ hours of near continuous flying with one act displaying, the previous landing and the next taking off.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

DanO1978

Post by DanO1978 »

Problem is, unless you're prepared to sit in your chair from 8am until flying starts, you've zero chance of a prime photgraphic position at Duxford.

Plus three hours flying, at their prices, remains abysmal value.

This is why I, and many others, have long abandoned Duxford for Old Warden.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

phreakf4 wrote:I, and I'm sure many others, much prefer a relaxed morning, wandering about looking at the statics, the stalls and any other ground displays/attractions then have a leisurely lunch before the flying starts rather than have to rush to see everything else without the risk of missing some of the display.

:up:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Good points on both sides. I agree about having a nice leisurely morning soaking up the atmosphere and getting the chance to wander around the Museum and stalls etc, but as Dan says, it limits your chances for a great photography spot - unless you chain your seats to the fence, which I cannot stand. For the majority of people, though, I suspect this isn't such an issue.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

DanO1978 wrote:Plus three hours flying, at their prices, remains abysmal value.

Dan - not a dig at you and certainly not at either venue (both have their charms) but, just as a matter of interest - based on gate prices - Duxford's VE Day show (£27.50) is actually 50p less than Shuttleworth's opener (£28). What's more...both shows might realistically offer three hours' flying (excluding OW's Edwardians...if the weather's in their favour)

DanO1978

Post by DanO1978 »

Pablo wrote:
DanO1978 wrote:Plus three hours flying, at their prices, remains abysmal value.

Dan - not a dig at you and certainly not at either venue (both have their charms) but, just as a matter of interest - based on gate prices - Duxford's VE Day show (£27.50) is actually 50p less than Shuttleworth's opener (£28). What's more...both shows might realistically offer three hours' flying (excluding OW's Edwardians...if the weather's in their favour)

But you don't need to arrive at the crack of dawn and mark your territory at Shuttleworth. Altogether a more civilised place.

neilos

Post by neilos »

Wissam24 wrote: unless you chain your seats to the fence, which I cannot stand. For the majority of people, though, I suspect this isn't such an issue.

That always makes me chuckle at Duxford. I generally get parked either 2nd or 3rd row from the front. Get the flask out, pour a cuppa and then :lol: as grown men, run from their cars to the front, just to blag a good spot..... :loser:

Waiting 3 hours for the start doesn't bother me. There is plenty to see. I don't walk around the hangers on airshow day, I'm fortunate enough to live 10 mins down the road, and visit DX on a monthly basis.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

neilos wrote:
Wissam24 wrote: unless you chain your seats to the fence, which I cannot stand. For the majority of people, though, I suspect this isn't such an issue.

That always makes me chuckle at Duxford. I generally get parked either 2nd or 3rd row from the front. Get the flask out, pour a cuppa and then :lol: as grown men, run from their cars to the front, just to blag a good spot..... :loser:

Waiting 3 hours for the start doesn't bother me. There is plenty to see. I don't walk around the hangers on airshow day, I'm fortunate enough to live 10 mins down the road, and visit DX on a monthly basis.

Same as Neilos I arrive there around 8am from Manchester, nice cuppa tea and something to eat from the boot of the car, quick trip to the AA hangar to relive myself, then get my head down for a couple of hours sleep so I'm fresh for the display. Don't know what I'll do to relive myself this year though. :sad:
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

DocStirling

Post by DocStirling »

Mooshie1956 wrote:Don't know what I'll do to relive myself this year though. :sad:

Pack an extra flask.
How Do I KNow

G-AMPY

Post by G-AMPY »

Pablo wrote:Duxford's VE Day show (£27.50) is actually 50p less than Shuttleworth's opener (£28). What's more...both shows might realistically offer three hours' flying.

It really shows what great value for money RNAS Culdrose (£15), RNAS Yeovilton (£20) & RAF Cosford (£22) shows are, when they all have 5/6 hour flying displays and large static parks! Infact Cosford and Yeovilton have museums open too!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Mooshie1956 wrote:
neilos wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:Don't know what I'll do to relive myself this year though. :sad:

Do the flightline walk and pick a tailwheel? You could claim to be a re-enactor.

John