Hardwick Warbirds Photo Shoot

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
Big_Gareth

Hardwick Warbirds Photo Shoot

Post by Big_Gareth »

I'm surprised not to have seen any shots on here yet of yesterday's excellent photo shoot with the Hardwick Warbirds. I know the entrance fee was much debated but it was a great day out and well worth the money imo. :clap: :clap: :clap:

The lighting was quite harsh at times and although the aircraft were well placed it remained quite difficult on occasion to get uncluttered shots. Sadly my tripod head also sheared in half during the day, rendering it useless and I had to resort to resting my camera on a Coke bottle on the ground!! :facepalm:

Just a couple for now, with minimal post processing, I would love to see other people's efforts...

Big_Gareth

Re: Hardwick Warbirds Photo Shoot

Post by Big_Gareth »

The sunset was nice, I tried to do it justice but I was never sure how much to silhouette...

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

Fantastic shots with the sunset colours and cloud movement!

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

That first shot is absolutely beautiful, very nice indeed!
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Shot 1 is a belter!
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Timc

Post by Timc »

Those first two are absolute crackers, great captures in some surreal lighting!

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

I totally agree about shot number 1 :clap: The others are great as well, you seem to have nailed the silhouette, whatever you're doing it must be working
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Ledhead27 wrote:That first shot is absolutely beautiful, very nice indeed!

Totally agree. Fantastic work. :up:

MUSTANG

Post by MUSTANG »

Spot on with the 1st photo :clap:

Peter

flashman8

Post by flashman8 »

awesome shots, love number 1.............. :yahoo:
Sony A700, A550, , Minolta 135, 500, Sigma 10-20, Sony 18-70, 50,70-300GSSM,Tamron 17-50,90mm

Hasboman

Post by Hasboman »

The first shot is absolutely beautiful!

bigcrow

Post by bigcrow »

Stunning shots, the first is lovely.. :clap:

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

Very nice Gareth...

Number 1 is a belter!

Dan

Jeff Hunt

Post by Jeff Hunt »

No. 1 for me as well.

If it is not out of line, what settings do you fellas use for these types of shots? The CWH has a night shoot later this year and I was thinking of attending. It is a bit steep in price so I would want to get decent results at least.

Thanks,

Jeff

Big_Gareth

Post by Big_Gareth »

Hello everyone, I really appreciate all of the positive comments, thank you! :yahoo:
Jeff Hunt wrote:If it is not out of line, what settings do you fellas use for these types of shots? The CWH has a night shoot later this year and I was thinking of attending. It is a bit steep in price so I would want to get decent results at least.

Hi Jeff I'm sure there are more knowledgeable togs out there as I got lucky with this, however with any night shoot I usually enable mirror lockup and opt for manual focus, set to infinity. Choose bulb mode, ISO 100 if possible and then using a sturdy tripod (or ahem... Coke bottle) and a shutter release cable, expose for several seconds. Check the histogram and shoot again with a longer or shorter exposure time, check the histogram and repeat etc.

This shot was actually ISO 400 because I was hurrying and the exposure time was 24 seconds. This looks better than similar shots taken at 5 seconds and 10 seconds respectively. I often think that longer exposure times look better than you initially expect and I knew once I saw the back of the camera that the sky was beautiful! I have a full frame camera and the exposure times required are markedly shorter than my old cropped body. Just remember that the histogram is your friend, and a shutter release cable is essential. :up: :up: :up:

If anyone is interested I will post up some of the shots from the actual day when I get chance? Thanks again.

Stu

Post by Stu »

Wow that first shots is a bit good very nice shooting indeed :clap: :clap: :clap:
Olympus Cameras

UBC780XLT
DJ-X10
DJ-X3

Representing www.simplyplanes.co.uk

JoeRuscoe

Post by JoeRuscoe »

Oh yes! Brilliant shots! :)

Jeff Hunt

Post by Jeff Hunt »

Big_Gareth wrote:Hello everyone, I really appreciate all of the positive comments, thank you! :yahoo:
Jeff Hunt wrote:If it is not out of line, what settings do you fellas use for these types of shots? The CWH has a night shoot later this year and I was thinking of attending. It is a bit steep in price so I would want to get decent results at least.

Hi Jeff I'm sure there are more knowledgeable togs out there as I got lucky with this, however with any night shoot I usually enable mirror lockup and opt for manual focus, set to infinity. Choose bulb mode, ISO 100 if possible and then using a sturdy tripod (or ahem... Coke bottle) and a shutter release cable, expose for several seconds. Check the histogram and shoot again with a longer or shorter exposure time, check the histogram and repeat etc.

This shot was actually ISO 400 because I was hurrying and the exposure time was 24 seconds. This looks better than similar shots taken at 5 seconds and 10 seconds respectively. I often think that longer exposure times look better than you initially expect and I knew once I saw the back of the camera that the sky was beautiful! I have a full frame camera and the exposure times required are markedly shorter than my old cropped body. Just remember that the histogram is your friend, and a shutter release cable is essential. :up: :up: :up:

If anyone is interested I will post up some of the shots from the actual day when I get chance? Thanks again.

Thanks a ton. Very helpful

Jeff