Camo Typhoon ZK349/GN-A

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
Private Custard

Camo Typhoon ZK349/GN-A

Post by Private Custard »

On Thursday, through sheer luck and a good friend, I was lucky enough to be invited to the official media unveiling of Typhoon ZK349/GN-A. As well as unhindered access to not only the Typhoon, but also P7350, I was also lucky enough to have a chat with all of this years display pilots :D

As I'm currently waiting for the magazine to go to print, I'm chosing to withhold a number of images, as I feel it's the right thing to do (my first media gig, so I'm working on instinct!). But, I can show a few. I'm still working through them, so I'll add them here when I get around to it.

She really is a good looking aircraft. Even better up-close. Hats off to the paintshop guys, they've done good!

ImageCamo Typhoon, ZK349/GN-A by Barrie May, on Flickr

Private Custard

Re: Camo Typhoon ZK349/GN-A

ImageGenerations by Barrie May, on Flickr

Private Custard

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Second shot is beautifully composed. :clap:

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Private Custard wrote:As I'm currently waiting for the magazine to go to print, I'm chosing to withhold a number of images, as I feel it's the right thing to do (my first media gig, so I'm working on instinct!)

Absolutely. Beyond the courtesy side of it, especially if you're giving the magazine an exclusive (even if in a small way), make it so by not publishing anything you're giving them. Your instinct's spot-on, in other words!

Great opportunity - excellent shots.

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

Very nice...

2nd shot is as previously said, beautifully composed.

Dan

Private Custard

Cheers guys :)

Now Duxford's been dealt with, it's time to go back through more of these shots. It's never ending recently!

Rumwolf

Post by Rumwolf »

Very nicely done. What is the devil badge on the side of the cockpit please? Was that a badge that Nicholson himself used?

Rumwolf

Post by Rumwolf »

Cancel my question re the red devil. Just read Hunter's comment. Thanks for the information.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Super set again Barrie, both the 'ethics' & images are spot-on! Look forward to seeing the rest when the publishing date has passed.
Quick technique query on shot 3... did you elect to take the stbd side shot over the sunlit port side to make the contrast easier to deal with? Either way, it works very well in that overhead light. :up:

Private Custard

Stagger2 wrote:Super set again Barrie, both the 'ethics' & images are spot-on! Look forward to seeing the rest when the publishing date has passed.
Quick technique query on shot 3... did you elect to take the stbd side shot over the sunlit port side to make the contrast easier to deal with? Either way, it works very well in that overhead light. :up:

Cheers :)

That third shot was actually due to be a massive photostitch, which would have covered around 160-degrees from left to right, and would have also included P7350. I quite liked just the Typhoon part when it came to messing around with it. When I stitched all of the shots together, it just didn't look right.

Private Custard

I've just gotten around to sorting out this photostitch. I got a load of different angles on the aircraft, but these head-ons are ones that I think I'll treasure the most. From behind the fence, side-on and three-quarter shots are easy enough to get at relatively short focal lengths. But, from the 29sqn side, head-ons at the 25 end are always going to be longer range, and at this time of the year, heat distortion is inevitable.

This shot consists of 15 exposures, at 50mm!

ImageCamo Typhoon, ZK349/GN-A by Barrie May, on Flickr

The sun was beating down onto the port side, so I quite like the contrast that this angle gave. Thankfully my plan to get the entire shadow in was a complete success!

Private Custard

Bumping an old thread, but I have a couple more from the day!

Last edited by Private Custard on Sat 04 Jul 2015, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Private Custard

ImageGenerations by Barrie May, on Flickr

Epic Formacion

Post by Epic Formacion »

That wheels shot is a belter.

Private Custard

Cheers :)

I did something similar with the Gnats at North Weald late last year. It seems like a decent angle for just about everything!

richyrara

Post by richyrara »

The last three are the cat's pyjamas.

Private Custard

Thanks a lot :)

After much messing around with various shots, I think I've come up with what I would consider my favourite from the day. With a bit of layer trickery, I've managed to get the display team intake cover exposed correctly, and I think I prefer the slightly off-centre angle too.

ImageZK349 by Barrie May, on Flickr