Throckmorton Airshow Local Viewing?

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Mart06

Throckmorton Airshow Local Viewing?

Post by Mart06 »

Please, can anyone suggest a good viewing area in the vicinity of the airfield
Will hopefully be in the area early afternoon but not 100% sure I can make it yet...... hence not bought tickets
Thanks in advance

Mart06

Re: Throckmorton Airshow Local Viewing?

Post by Mart06 »

Bump :shock:
Anyone help please :smile:

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

why not buy one in hope that you can make it and if not somebody might well be after a last minute one tomorrow and you can forward it to them and sort out the payment between you.
If that fails then look on it as a donation to good charitable causes.
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Long Lane in Throckmorton will be closed on airshow day and like Bruntingthorpe, Throckmorton is very enclosed with no little roads or tracks to creep up in order to view the show. Tickets were stopped being sold a few days ago now and they're not available on the day so unfortunately the best idea would be to plan another airshow, Cosford looks good!

Mart06

Post by Mart06 »

Thanks but Cosford clashes and if I can get there Sat I'll be viewing a little distance away somewhere...........maybe a pub garden if I can find one :smile:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Excuses excuses :shock: :whistle: :wink:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Mart06 wrote:Thanks but Cosford clashes and if I can get there Sat I'll be viewing a little distance away somewhere...........maybe a pub garden if I can find one :smile:

Crowd line is west of the runway this year......so I would go East of that........Long Lane/ Throckmorton Road maybe ?

Mart06

Post by Mart06 »

paullangford wrote:
Mart06 wrote:Thanks but Cosford clashes and if I can get there Sat I'll be viewing a little distance away somewhere...........maybe a pub garden if I can find one :smile:

Crowd line is west of the runway this year......so I would go East of that........Long Lane/ Throckmorton Road maybe ?

Thanks very much, very much appriciated :clap:

Post by 5944 »

Thumper wrote:Long Lane in Throckmorton will be closed on airshow day and like Bruntingthorpe, Throckmorton is very enclosed with no little roads or tracks to creep up in order to view the show. Tickets were stopped being sold a few days ago now and they're not available on the day so unfortunately the best idea would be to plan another airshow, Cosford looks good!

Tickets are back on sale online.

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Mart06 wrote:
paullangford wrote:

Thanks very much, very much appriciated :clap:

I might add I've never actually BEEN there, but looking at Google Maps, that's where I would head for.....you might find a bit of open ground or public footpath

CrowdlinePhotography

Post by CrowdlinePhotography »

Are you local?

Mart06

Post by Mart06 »

CrowdlinePhotography wrote:Are you local?

No, from the Midlands :smile:

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

CrowdlinePhotography wrote:Are you local?

Me ?........no......cockney :smile:

CrowdlinePhotography

Okay, well there's a nearby village called Bishampton. In the village, there is a track. When Throckmorton was in use, the track was right under the landing path and where the landing lights use to be is still visible in places. Which means the track must be relatively close so maybe that's a good spot for viewing.
Last edited by CrowdlinePhotography on Fri 05 Jun 2015, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrowdlinePhotography

Perhaps if there are no farmers around...you could make a dash across their field?

CJS

Post by CJS »

CrowdlinePhotography wrote:Perhaps if there are no farmers around...you could make a dash across their field?

I do hope you're not suggesting another UKAR member takes part in potentially illegal activities :shock: :wink:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Rent a tractor and pretend to be a farmer, just go up and down the field a few times, no one will suspect anything. :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

capercaillie wrote:Rent a Range Rover and pretend to be a farmer

Corrected , free of charge !! :lmao:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

capercaillie wrote:Rent a tractor and pretend to be a farmer, just go up and down the field a few times, no one will suspect anything. :whistle:

The farmer might wonder what you were doing, but I guess you could hire a plough with the tractor and do some farming for them while you watched :joystick:

Mart06

Post by Mart06 »

CrowdlinePhotography wrote:Okay, well there's a nearby village called Bishampton. In the village, there is a track. When Throckmorton was in use, the track was right under the landing path and where the landing lights use to be is still visible in places. Which means the track must be relatively close so maybe that's a good spot for viewing.

Thanks, fingers crossed I can finish early to-morrow and get there :roll:

Lee606

Post by Lee606 »

Don't anyone mention the big triangle snapped jet that's easily the biggest crowd puller tomorrow.

CrowdlinePhotography

Mart06 wrote:
CrowdlinePhotography wrote:Okay, well there's a nearby village called Bishampton. In the village, there is a track. When Throckmorton was in use, the track was right under the landing path and where the landing lights use to be is still visible in places. Which means the track must be relatively close so maybe that's a good spot for viewing.

Thanks, fingers crossed I can finish early to-morrow and get there :roll:

Haven't been there in a while but I remember it being relatively close. You'll certainly see a lot of flying but perhaps not close enough for decent photography.

red_snow

Post by red_snow »

Info for the day .......

Gates open at 10am
Flying starts at 12.30pm
Parking is free
If you are concerned about mobility and need to park as close to the action as possible, please tell the stewards when you arrive on site
Exact timings will be confirmed tomorrow and updated by our commentator, should anything change
The flying display will finish at approx 5 / 5.30pm
The V****n is displaying but won’t be landing at Throckmorton
Don’t try and watch the display from outside – the roads are closed anyway and you run the risk of us having to cancel the flying display for safety reasons
Food and drink will be available, but feel free to bring your own
If you want to sit down, do bring your own chairs
If you haven’t got tickets – get them before you travel to the show!

Rory76

Post by Rory76 »

For those unable to get in to the show the best, and most responsible, spot to get a view of things would prob be around Breedon Hill. About 3 miles to the south, you'll get a decent view across to the airfield and hopefully get something sexy on a wide overshoot or run in. You may not get that sexy close up you're after- but if that's so important you should have bought a ticket! Avoids clogging up a small village and screwing up the display for the organisers, ticket holders and charities.
Ricoh Caplio R5

Sony A300 ('L' Plates Fitted)

tedsg

Post by tedsg »

Go onto their Facebook page and avoid going anywhere near the airfield. Traffic chaos and many unhappy people stuck in cars for hours!
Tedsg