Zoom lens advice for RIAT

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
kianelle

Zoom lens advice for RIAT

Post by kianelle »

Can anyone please give me some advice with regards to zoom lenses?
Last year at Riat I found it so frustrating while trying to take photos of displays. The lens that I was using would not focus on the moving aircraft it had no chance at all on fast jets it just kept trying to re-focus all the time in the end I gave up on auto focus and switched to manual which was difficult to do. The lens in question was a TAMRON AF 200.400 1:56. ON A CANON 600D .It is an old lens and im thinking that the focus motor is not fast enough. I don’t want another year like last year so I’ve decided to get another lens. Because im Woking on a low budget of two to three hundred pounds I know I won’t get a lot for this and it will be second hand. Can anyone give me some advice on a lens that will give me half a chance of focusing on the aircraft? I would like a 500mm lens so any advice on this lens would be very much appreciated.

Brevet Cable

Re: Zoom lens advice for RIAT

Post by Brevet Cable »

I'd have thought you'll be extremely lucky to find any 400mm or 500mm lens in that price range.
What you will find are plenty of second hand Canon 70-300 IS lenses or new Tamron & sigma 70-300 IS lenses.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

kianelle

Post by kianelle »

What kind of lens and price will give me a fighting chance . ?

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

I use a Canon 1000D with a Canon 75-300mm lens which I picked up on eBay brand new for £75 (lens only). I go to about 6 shows a year and it does the job for me

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

I had to borrow a Sigma 70 - 300mm lens attached to my 7D at airshows and I found it to be an excellent lens, the lens also has a macro feature so the lens has other uses for you outside of airshows. After this airshow season is over I'll be investing in that particular lens it a cracker for about £95.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

As the others have said , a 70-300 is perfectly suitable for RIAT.
In fact , if you want to photograph the statics you'll need something wider........you could always look out for a second hand Tamron 28-300 XR Di LD ( several cheap used ones on Amazon : http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0002VYJPY/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used for instance )
아직도 숨어있다

FreddieKempton

Post by FreddieKempton »

Certainly I always use a 70-300 which does the job very well but I can imagine that a 400mm would have noticeable difference. But with 400mm rather expensive, I would recommend any old 300mm :up:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

One of these were delivered to my house today.....

:biggrin:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Obviously depends where you stand but I found that 300mm was often a bit wanting, especially if you want to capture anything airborne. I use a Sigma 120-400mm which is just about adequate but I might rent a 150-600 or 50-500mm or some such thing.
For the ground displays an 18-55 or 18-200 is perfect.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

boff180 wrote:One of these were delivered to my house today.....
:biggrin:

Doesn't quite fit into the £200-£300 bracket , though..... :whistle: :biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

kianelle

Post by kianelle »

Thanks for advice .... i was looking for lens for display thats why the 500mm thinking ..
are ther any tips that will help when trying to foucus ( settings )

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

I shoot off a Canon 600D too, with 550D as back up.

My standard kit lens was a 75-300mm non-IS but AF. That seemed to turn out some nice results on arrivals days down at park and view. But 300mm on a 600D and you start to lose sharpness real quick for fast jets in the air during display... Somewhere like Duxford, you're wasting your time with a 300mm lens for airborne stuff, unless they are at the tank bank end. Neve rbeen in the naughty field, so can't comment on that.

I invested in a Sigma 150-500mm (AF and image stabilised) a few weeks ago, but lost over a thousand shots at Cosford as it struggled to focus on anything near, middle or far distance. Like a prat, I had put a cheap polarising filter on the end and I think that is what cost me. After taking the filter off, I took some shots earlier this week, tracking my wife and daughter up and down the street to and from their car and the results were better. I really hope it works out at Fairford, as that is really what I bought the Sigma for - to try and up my game within a reasonable budget.

I got mine for about £500.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

kianelle wrote:Thanks for advice .... i was looking for lens for display thats why the 500mm thinking ..
are ther any tips that will help when trying to foucus ( settings )

Let the AF do its thing. If the light is poor it might hunt a bit a decent lens should be fine. If the light is poor then focussing won't be the only problem.....

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

And either switch to a single AF point ( usually the centre one ) or just use the central cluster/cross as opposed to all the AF points ( as my Canon use ceased with the 50D , I don't know how many AF points the 600D has or what selection options there are )
아직도 숨어있다

ted633

Post by ted633 »

I used the canon 70-300 is usm lens coupled to a 550 and later, a 70d for a few years. Lens can be picked up new in your price range. It always took good quality photos, the only times the 300mm was a bit short was for warbird solo's. For the money though, it's a brilliant lens.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

ted633 wrote:I used the canon 70-300 is usm lens . Lens can be picked up new in your price range.
Not genuine UK/EU stock , I'd have thought.
아직도 숨어있다

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

I used a canon 500d at Cosford with a canon 100 400 L and it kept searching for a focus point I guess with the poor light and grey aircraft against a grey sky you will always struggle even with the best lenses! Here's hoping for blue skies at ffd so I can finally get some decent shots with the beast!
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!

kianelle

Post by kianelle »

Thank you for all advice i think i will save for a while longer ...lot longer .... and get a half decent lens .advice given seams i wont solve problem on a two to three hundred pound lens .... bloody expensive game to get a good photo .

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Out of interest , have you tried switching between single-point AF & multi-point AF to see if it makes a difference ??
아직도 숨어있다