RIAT 2015

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
oscarBIGGLESholmes

Re: RIAT 2015

Post by oscarBIGGLESholmes »

Last year I arrived around 8:10 and still managed to get a front seat crowdline centre just left of the grandstand in the Green area (pleasantly surprised). Even at that time little to no traffic on blue route.

What is everyone most looking forward to? Think it might be the BoB flypast for me. It's a shame the Dutch Apache won't have flares, I've seen a few videos of it and it looks very impressive!
Last edited by oscarBIGGLESholmes on Thu 16 Jul 2015, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

boff180 wrote:Flankers aren't arriving until AM tomorrow now. No chance they will divert here when their support is at CBU

Man from India yesterday in P+V East said they were "Definately" coming to RIAT, as had been informed by a 3 star general in the Indian Air Force very recently. I did say that they had declined, but he said that they had changed their minds.

If they come I have to buy him a pint, that was the deal! :lol:

Tom

oscarBIGGLESholmes

Post by oscarBIGGLESholmes »

TomTwin wrote:Man from India yesterday in P+V East said they were "Definately" coming to RIAT, as had been informed by a 3 star general in the Indian Air Force very recently. I did say that they had declined, but he said that they had changed their minds.

Tom

I think you have successfully got everyones' hopes up! :lol:
Last edited by oscarBIGGLESholmes on Thu 16 Jul 2015, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

And the P3 crosses at halfway too. Come on RIAT ATC. * Waves at the control tower* Hellooo we're over here:)

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

TomTwin wrote:
boff180 wrote:Flankers aren't arriving until AM tomorrow now. No chance they will divert here when their support is at CBU

Man from India yesterday in P+V East said they were "Definately" coming to RIAT, as had been informed by a 3 star general in the Indian Air Force very recently. I did say that they had declined, but he said that they had changed their minds.

Tom

3 star General?? Must be a new rank :whistle:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

The Indians will not be coming. Nothing to see. (Prays inside) Also will the Jets be parked up down the east end come Saturday? :smile:

st24

Post by st24 »

TomTwin wrote:

Tom

Your money's safe.....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

dragonslayer

Post by dragonslayer »

pbeardmore wrote:Putting the Flanker stuff to one side, perhaps in future years, they could consider a "surprise guest" just to get the juices flowing and go back to the years when it as all a surprise package. Not sure if this could be done in the age of social media but imagine if R Delta or the Mig 29 were the "surprise" this year and the first we know was arriving on the Thurs, just an idea.

Keeping a 'star' item secret doesn't sell tickets and does nothing for marketing purposes.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Don't know how accurate this Greek website is. . . . if it's anything like their economy but this is where a link on Facebook comes from . . . until they're on the ground I won't believe it! Cobblers.
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

MarkEstus

Post by MarkEstus »

dragonslayer wrote:
pbeardmore wrote:Putting the Flanker stuff to one side, perhaps in future years, they could consider a "surprise guest" just to get the juices flowing and go back to the years when it as all a surprise package. Not sure if this could be done in the age of social media but imagine if R Delta or the Mig 29 were the "surprise" this year and the first we know was arriving on the Thurs, just an idea.

Keeping a 'star' item secret doesn't sell tickets and does nothing for marketing purposes.

Tickets are sold out if you haven't noticed :roll:
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/332375753559900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Macc

Post by Macc »

Its not impossible but unlikely. Don't expect it and then if it happens it will be a good surprise..

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Is it wrong to think Team Aguila are a bit boring? Special Tonka waiting on far side. An Indian Su 30 says it goes straight across :/

DanH

Post by DanH »

Pat Murphy wrote:Is it wrong to think Team Aguila are a bit boring? Special Tonka waiting on far side. An Indian Su 30 says it goes straight across :/

I'm sat up at Totterdown watching them and I was thinking thar you could actually fit an entire fast jet display in between each manoeuvre.
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Fair point, I would be pretty sure that many if not all ticket buyers judge the event as a whole rather than deciding on one display. This year, for example, I think is fair to say that tickets should still have sold out without the Mig 29. Creating buzz/gossip/rumour etc is one of the cheapest forms of marketing/promotion and it would please sponsors etc. It would also be fun to see what wild rumours spread about the identity. Its just an idea.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Finnish Hornet is gonna take some beating.

Best single arrivals or departures day since the Monday in 2012?

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

...apart from having to leave the enclosure at 5, that is.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Ian G wrote:Don't know how accurate this Greek website is. . . . if it's anything like their economy but this is where a link on Facebook comes from . . . until they're on the ground I won't believe it! Cobblers.

Cobblers indeed, although it's clearly a European wide rumour at least :wink:

Unless everybody (including DBH) just hasn't been told about it.

"ATC to Indian Flankers, this is ...um....Conningsby ATC, you're cleared to land. What's that? Oh, ignore them, it's always really busy here on Friday mornings..." :ninja:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Thoroughly enjoyed refreshing my laptop every 2 mins throughout the day while having various pages open attempting too put together any serials, thanks too everybody for your hardwork on here and the twitter feed :up:

Can the items that are missing still turn up or are we all done now?

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Aircraft will still arrive tomorrow morning. :smile:
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Adam L.

Post by Adam L. »

All this sudden speculation about the Flankers is indeed intriguing, almost to the point where it's worth thinking there's something in it...

Note careful use of the word "almost."
Adam Landau
Editor, www.thisisflight.net

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

PanaviaTornado

Post by PanaviaTornado »

Will Ramex or the Mig-29 rehearse Friday morning?

F-18 was great today for those who did not see it, gonna take some beating!

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

Just realised there's not a fast jet between 12 (RD) and 4 (Zeus) on the saturday. Sorry but that's a poor order having the Typhoon and Belgian F16 both on so early.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

PanaviaTornado wrote:

I think the C160 take off late this afternoon and keeping it low was probably the best thing about today I reckon :smile:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

PanaviaTornado

Post by PanaviaTornado »

Airwolfhound wrote:
PanaviaTornado wrote:

I think the C160 take off late this afternoon and keeping it low was probably the best thing about today I reckon :smile:

Yep that was pretty cool, as were the F-15 arrivals not just landing like a few others. Zeus F-16 demo was great given the lighting conditions, huge blue flame!