NAS Fallon,Yuma, Tucson, Red Flag 15-4 Road Trip Updated

Photos of operational aircraft from bases, airports and "spotter" outings
Fumbles

NAS Fallon,Yuma, Tucson, Red Flag 15-4 Road Trip Updated

Post by Fumbles »

Well I'm at it again... I'm on a massive 3800 mile road trip from Seattle to NAS Fallon onto Vegas and then MCAS Yuma. From there I made my way to Tucson Arizona which is where I am as I post this.. From here I'll make my way back to Las Vegas for Red Flag 15-4 which has no media day... But the participants... How could one resist? You'll see as I update this thread. :)

I've only edited some shots as I'm on the laptop at hotels and I don't know if they look alright.. My home PC is much better for editing shots which I'll do when I get home. So please bare with me if the pictures look a little off for now. These are just a sneak peak of my week so far.

Comment and Criticism always welcome good or bad and thanks for having a look.

First some shots from NAS Fallon

ImageNAS Fallon, MCAS Yuma, Tucson, Red Flag 15-4 Road Trip by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

ImageNAS Fallon, MCAS Yuma, Tucson, Red Flag 15-4 Road Trip by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

Moving onto a visit to MCAS Yuma

And now Tucson International where I did hope to see the Iraqi F-16s which I did plus a few visitors...

A local here....

Thanks again for looking.. I'll be updating with some Red Flag stuff through the week and when I get home some more of NAS Fallon.. Apparently the Israel F-15s have already arrived! :rock:

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Re: NAS Fallon,Yuma, Tucson, Red Flag 15-4 Road Trip SW USA!

Post by Blackbird »

Looks like a great trip. Lovely photos so far :clap: and looking forward to more soon!

Andy :smile:

nellis6

Post by nellis6 »

91-0401 of the S. Carolina ANG seems to have taken up residence at Tucson. We saw it there back in April and I know it has been reported here a few times. Seems to much of a coincidence for it just to be a visitor, especially as no other SC ANG Vipers have been seen with it. Maybe a new aircraft for the 162FW?
Mike Green
Editor, Jetwash Aviation Photos
http://www.jetwashaviationphotos.com

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Nice to see, hope the rest of your trip is as successful :smile:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

nellis6 wrote:91-0401 of the S. Carolina ANG seems to have taken up residence at Tucson. We saw it there back in April and I know it has been reported here a few times. Seems to much of a coincidence for it just to be a visitor, especially as no other SC ANG Vipers have been seen with it. Maybe a new aircraft for the 162FW?

:up:

Many thanks for that.. I did find it strange that there was only one South Carolina F-16s in the bunch. I thought maybe it was a diverted aircraft on it's way to or from a Red Flag and maybe went tech.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Thanks for the comments and the views..... I forgot one shot from yesterday... I blame the heat... 110 degrees by 10am! :sweat:

There were 3 of these Dash 8s parked up at Tucson.. The third parked rear end to the fence so I didn't take a shot of it.. Just the two.

ImageIMGP8665 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

D90Man

Post by D90Man »

Nice images...

Like the high key shots at Fallon...

Out of interest, where can I see the participant list for Red Flag 15-4? I may have the opportunity to be in the area for one day...

Leon
"Sharpness is in the eye of the holder"
More at http://www.planephotos.org.uk

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

D90Man wrote:Nice images...

Like the high key shots at Fallon...

Out of interest, where can I see the participant list for Red Flag 15-4? I may have the opportunity to be in the area for one day...

Leon

Hi Leon

I'm not trying to hide anything... But as far as I know. Nellis has not released any media on participants to the current Red Flag. Participants are being kept under wraps. I can confirm that there will NOT be a media day as well for this Red Flag. The rumors floating around are that Singapore,Jordan and Israel are taking part... Apparently the Israeli F-15s have already arrived. I'll know for sure when I have a nosey around the area starting early this week. When I see whats flying about, I'll let you know.

Just saw this article... Seems to confirm that Jordan will be there as well..
http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/why-ar ... 1723907568

D90Man

Post by D90Man »

Thanks Fumbles

I'm currently in SFO, so have booked a quick overnighter to LAS on the 24th/25th :biggrin: ..maybe see you around the speedway?

Leon

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

D90Man wrote:Thanks Fumbles

I'm currently in SFO, so have booked a quick overnighter to LAS on the 24th/25th :biggrin: ..maybe see you around the speedway?

Leon

Sadly I'll be driving home by then.. with a stop at Coyote Summit along the way..

I arrived at Nellis today and had a little recon.. There are no bombers on the bomber pan. No B-2s,B-52s or B-1Bs. :shock: This has to be the first Red Flag that does not include any large bombers? The Israelis are here and by the looks of it the Jordanians.. On the Bomber pan are 4 Chinooks. Not sure what country but they are there. There was also an accident today that involved 2 F-16s from Texas.. I got here just after.... apparently there was a collision during landing. I do have some pictures of the one being loaded with a crash crane minus the nose,canopy and seat.. Both crew are in hospital and Nellis will update on the condition later. Hope for the best! Have fun out there next week..... Also bring sunscreen... It is HOT! today was 117 degrees!

alizam

Post by alizam »

Fumbles wrote:
D90Man wrote:Thanks Fumbles

Leon

Sadly I'll be driving home by then.. with a stop at Coyote Summit along the way..

I arrived at Nellis today and had a little recon.. There are no bombers on the bomber pan. No B-2s,B-52s or B-1Bs. :shock: This has to be the first Red Flag that does not include any large bombers? The Israelis are here and by the looks of it the Jordanians.. On the Bomber pan are 4 Chinooks. Not sure what country but they are there. There was also an accident today that involved 2 F-16s from Texas.. I got here just after.... apparently there was a collision during landing. I do have some pictures of the one being loaded with a crash crane minus the nose,canopy and seat.. Both crew are in hospital and Nellis will update on the condition later. Hope for the best! Have fun out there next week..... Also bring sunscreen... It is HOT! today was 117 degrees!

the chinooks are from singapore ;)

D90Man

Post by D90Man »

Thanks again Fumbles - safe travels..

Leon

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Wow! day one of Red Flag 15-4.... It was HOT! 115 degrees fahenheit/46 degrees Celsius! But what a blast!
No heavy bombers in the Red Flag.. But the other participants involved make up for it. I won't babel to much and get right to some shots of today. Many more to come.. Seeing Israel's 707 tanker.. Another check off my list.

Enjoy these for now.. Comments good or bad always welcome.

ImageRed Flag 15-4, MCAS Yuma, Tucson, NAS Fallon road trip SW USA by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

ImageRed Flag 15-4, MCAS Yuma, Tucson, NAS Fallon road trip SW USA by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

D90Man

Post by D90Man »

Brilliant openers :clap:

Were these from the speedway? I fear I may not have enough focal length, looking at the exif data :sad:

Leon

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

It is my last morning here at Nellis.. I'm on my way to Coyote Summit along the long drive back home. So for now.... Just one Sunset F-35 from yesterday at the speedway. I'll get more shots added along the way home... I may stop in Boise since Mountain Home is closed. We'll see if I have enough time.

ImageIMGP1409 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Who needs bombers when you've got aggressor, Israeli, Singaporean, and Jordanian jets! :drool: :drool:

Some good stuff. I would imagine heat haze must have been a bit of a challenge in those temperatures! :sweat:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Cracking set as always Rod.

After seeing all three variants, have to say the F-35A is the most boring aesthetically.

The C is the sexiest on the ground with its wings folded.

In the air in normal configuration the B is growing on me rapidly.... in hover mode it just doesn't look right though!

Andy

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

I'm back home now.. Lots of miles added to our car... :lol: I've started editing shots.. these are not the best shots but some of the only shots I got low level... I went to Coyote Summit thinking the Israelis would be doing the low level stuff. The gamble paid off in a way.... They did show... sadly I was playing around with the camera settings shooting the high level stuff on manual focus when out of nowhere and not enough time to change the camera back. The four ship of RAAM F-15s ripped through low level right by the mountain! Sadly shooting through forest fire smoke, sort of into the sun and manual focus not a 100% focused.. These were the only shots I could sort of salvage. Sure was worth the trip though.

ImageIMGP1470 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

ImageIMGP1472 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

stingrays4

Post by stingrays4 »

Hi some amazing shots their, thanks for sharing :smile: How did you manage in the heat? :sweat:

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

Thanks for the views and comments everyone.
Time for a few more pictures to be added. Hope your all not bored yet? I have many many more to sort through yet.

Some more Red Flag and a few more NAS Fallon shots in glorious deep blue skies....

ImageIMGP0516 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

ImageIMGP0558 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

ImageIMGP0577 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

ImageIMGP0843 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

ImageIMGP0892 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

ImageIMGP0942 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

ImageIMGP1130 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

ImageIMGP1167 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

ImageIMGP1181 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

ImageIMGP9092 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

ImageIMGP9165 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr

ImageIMGP9216 by Rod McDonough, on Flickr