Bring them back

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Greydrake

Bring them back

Post by Greydrake »

Got talking with a few folks the other day after the Rhyl airshow about old airshows'.
With and the vulcans imminent retirement.
We got to discussing what we would like to see at airshows that has been retired or simply doesn't fly anymore.
Thought it would be interesting to see what people wanted to see.

For me I would love to see...

Harrier (saw one years ago at Southport brilliant display might have been its farewell season as haven't seen one since)

Concorde

Lightning

And completely different
A Sopwith Camel

Obviously it would have been great to have some sort of CWMF (cold war memorial flight) and something for WW1.

svas_volunteer

Re: Bring them back

Post by svas_volunteer »

Sadly I doubt we'll see the others again, and I do miss the harriers - they used to look fantastic operating off the grass at Old Warden. A Camel is very achievable as when the engine is sorted one will be flying at Shuttleworth.

Steve
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

CJS

Post by CJS »

Be good to see the Shakleton again one day (soon-ish...?). Harriers make the occasional appearance still, there was a Spanish one at Farnborough last (?) year.

And there are Lightnings flying in South Africa so that's not beyond the realms of possibility - not entirely anyway! Of course if you mean the Lightning II then no, clearly there's no chance we'll ever see one of them over here :-P

I'd also add a Mosquito and Bucaneer to my list (one rather more likely than the other methinks!)
Chris
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Greydrake wrote:Got talking with a few folks the other day after the Rhyl airshow about old airshows'.
With and the vulcans imminent retirement.
We got to discussing what we would like to see at airshows that has been retired or simply doesn't fly anymore.
Thought it would be interesting to see what people wanted to see.

For me I would love to see...

Harrier (saw one years ago at Southport brilliant display might have been its farewell season as haven't seen one since)

Concorde

Lightning

And completely different
A Sopwith Camel

Obviously it would have been great to have some sort of CWMF (cold war memorial flight) and something for WW1.

Harrier, there are a couple alive in the UK however the CAA will never sign off one to fly. Your best bet is Art Nalls beast.

Concorde, never going to happen.

Shack, this is the most likely to happen if the CAA play nice.

Camel, up until recently there was one flying, I'm sure Shuttleworths will be back up again soon.

Andy

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

Buccaneer, is the HHA one still airworthy?

Lightning,

Gloster Javelin

Fairy Gannet

Bristol Beaufighter

Bristol Belvedere

Blackburn Beverley

:rock:

Then entering the relms of impossible but if only!

Any WW2 aircraft including Me 110, Ju 87 and Ju 88, also Halifax, Hampdon and a Sunderland.
How about some classic US cold war stuff?

F 89 Scorpian
F 101 Voodoo
F 102 dagger
F 105 thud
F 106 Dart
B 47 Stratojet

B 58 Hustler??? Ok im dreaming now :-X

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

Steve p wrote:Buccaneer, is the HHA one still airworthy?

Lightning,

Gloster Javelin

Fairy Gannet

Bristol Beaufighter

Bristol Belvedere

Blackburn Beverley

:rock:

Then entering the relms of impossible but if only!

Any WW2 aircraft including Me 110, Ju 87 and Ju 88, also Halifax, Hampdon and a Sunderland.
How about some classic US cold war stuff?

F 89 Scorpian
F 101 Voodoo
F 102 dagger
F 105 thud
F 106 Dart
B 47 Stratojet

B 58 Hustler??? Ok im dreaming now :-X

The Fighter Collection are restoring a Beaufighter at Duxford but they haven't got the engines.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

Smog Monster

Post by Smog Monster »

Would be great to see a list of all the restorations currently under way and most recent status update.

Gareth V

Post by Gareth V »

Yikes, that is a tough one... this could be a rather long list...

Harrier
Concorde
Victor
Valiant
Buccaneer
TSR2
Jaguar
Lightning
Mosquito
VC-10
Nimrod
Wellington
Tempest
Typhoon (clearly the WW2 one... not its modern namesake)
Sunderland
Walrus

I should probably stop there.
Twitter @WordsFromGareth Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/justgareth/albums (i'm no pro, just enjoy taking pics)

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Is this thread really a good idea after what happened at Shoreham involving a restored Vintage jet ?

Gareth V

Post by Gareth V »

TYPHOON3 wrote:Is this thread really a good idea after what happened at Shoreham involving a restored Vintage jet ?

I don't think a wish list of aircraft is all that problematic, for many of us this list writing is probably the best list we have ever written since childhood Christmas lists! I get your angle on this, but personally I don't think such a thread is insensitive to the events of Shoreham. That is my personal view anyhow.
Twitter @WordsFromGareth Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/justgareth/albums (i'm no pro, just enjoy taking pics)

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Even so, it's already been done many times before and realistically, I'd say you'll be lucky to hang onto what we currently have, let alone dream of anything more joining the circuit.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

Gareth V wrote:
TYPHOON3 wrote:Is this thread really a good idea after what happened at Shoreham involving a restored Vintage jet ?

I don't think a wish list of aircraft is all that problematic, for many of us this list writing is probably the best list we have ever written since childhood Christmas lists! I get your angle on this, but personally I don't think such a thread is insensitive to the events of Shoreham. That is my personal view anyhow.

I was thinking more on the lines that if someone reads this thread who is not a UKAR member and might think we are being a bit insensitive after one restored aircraft crashed and all we can do is talk about getting more restored aircraft back in the air.I am not having a go at any enthusiasts and their dreams/wish lists.

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

The very sad truth is air accidents happen always have and always will and it happens to aircraft of all ages and types.

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

As people have said, this could be a long list.
One thing that does annoy me is how there are so many aircraft still around from the 40s and before, and absolutely zero Phantoms, Harriers, Jaguars, and those type of aircraft from not so long ago.
Were/Are they really that dangerous?

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

grant_w wrote:As people have said, this could be a long list.
One thing that does annoy me is how there are so many aircraft still around from the 40s and before, and absolutely zero Phantoms, Harriers, Jaguars, and those type of aircraft from not so long ago.

Possibly, they are more complex beasts and they are also more often then not capable of flying well above the speed of sound
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

grant_w wrote:As people have said, this could be a long list.

They are complex and expensive, is the short answer.

They're often covered by treaties that define their disposal/preservation after withdrawal from use to prevent spares working their way into the hands of unfriendly operators, and because in some cases they're still potent weapons platforms that mustn't end up in the wrong hands. Spares and suitable airframes can also therefore be an issue.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Greydrake

Post by Greydrake »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:They're often covered by treaties that define their disposal/preservation after withdrawal from use to prevent spares working their way into the hands of unfriendly operators, and because in some cases they're still potent weapons platforms that mustn't end up in the wrong hands. Spares and suitable airframes can also therefore be an issue.

That's a shame but understandable in the wrong hands they all have the potential to be devastating weapons.

I would however love to see at least one of each of the big names kept flying by a charitable trust. I always think there is a lot of focus on WW2 in all forms of historic preservation. but there was lots before and after that I would love to see.

I would LOVE to see a (helium filled!) replica of a zeppelin in the skies!
but imagine the cost would be rather prohibitive

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

On the flip side it is great that museums and the likes have saved large numbers of aircraft even if most will never fly again. Just being able to see a long retired type in the flesh is much better then looking at photgraphs or scale models.
It is a great shame however that some important types are gone now such as a Shorts Stirling or a Handley Page Heyford.

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

It was only last year the Spanish sent a Harrier over to display at Farnborough so not all is lost there! (Really hope they're invited next year!) :drool:

My wish list;

Harrier
VC10
Victor
Sabre
Jaguar
Phantom
Vulcan
Concorde (even if it's just a taxi or roll out like at Le Bourget in previous years)
Lightning
SU-27 (on static for RIAT 2011, so again not all hope is lost there)

Now for 2 on the impossible list;
TSR-2
SR-71
Last edited by Thumper on Wed 02 Sep 2015, 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

richw_82

Post by richw_82 »

boff180 wrote:Shack, this is the most likely to happen if the CAA play nice.

We're all playing nicely at the moment! :lol:

To be fair to the CAA they were never the problem with Shackleton, it was always BAE consistently sticking their oar in and giving things a damned good stir.
Richard Woods
Team leader Avro Shackleton WR963
2009 - 2016
2019 -
http://www.facebook.com/avro.shackleton

Lins

Post by Lins »

Off the top of my head,
Harrier
Concorde
Vulcan

Always my 3 favourites. I remember being at Farnborough as Concorde took off at the end of the event, nearly blew me off my feet :worship:

kph100

Post by kph100 »

Mosquito
Phantom
Vulcan
Nimrod

captchaos

Post by captchaos »

Re the Sopwith Camel wish, the GWDT will be adding one in the next year or so but keep it under your hat.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Handley Page Heyford. Then I will believe in it.

I note Jerry Yagen's Mosquito won awards at Oshkosh, where they parked it next to Kermit Weeks's static B35 (that's what I call a photo-opportunity). Please, Fighter Collection, do something about a tour....

John

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

Westland Wessex.