russian sub off uk raf has no planes to find it

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
craig.mason

russian sub off uk raf has no planes to find it

Post by craig.mason »

This has come back to bite the Tories remember when they scrapped all our nimrod aircraft
An RAF plane is "conducting activity" off the Scottish coast, the Ministry of Defence says, amid reports of a Russian submarine being spotted in the area.
A Royal Navy Frigate and submarine are also thought to be involved in the search, along with Canadian and French maritime patrol aircraft.
The Telegraph reports the French plane has searched for the submarine for at least 10 days.
The RAF currently has no maritime patrol aircraft of its own.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34896956
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

Traveller

Re: russian sub off uk raf has no planes to find it

Post by Traveller »

Does it really matter with our own subs and frigates looking? I don't know what exactly goes on in these searches and childish games, so if we find it then what? If its >12 miles out then its legally entitled to be there. Im sure the Clyde has plenty of other underwater detection measures to ensure our Trident patrols can get out to a reasonable area from where they can go off undetected by Russians. Of course the Russians may already have a perfect acoustic signature of all our subs collected over the years.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

craig.mason wrote:This has come back to bite the Tories remember when they scrapped all our nimrod aircraft

No, when did they do that?! :confused:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Traveller wrote:I don't know what exactly goes on in these searches and childish games, so if we find it then what?

If they locate & track it , they've proved that they can......think of it as a live training exercise with the added bonuses of not having to use your own forces to act as the Red/Orange ( whatever the current in-word is ) Team & of having some of your potential opposition's kit to track ( as opposed to your own )
As to what the Russians may be up to.....nothing to do with ELINT/SIGINT or acoutic tracking ( they've had plenty of supposedly civilian surface assets doing that for years ).....possibly something like this :
http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2015/10/30/uuvs-protecting-undersea-cables-russia-darpa/74823926/
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

ATrs.jules

Post by ATrs.jules »

the timing of it...... :lmao: :lmao:
http://www.aviationgraphics.com | http://www.za326.com cold war jets volunteer
NIKON D5200 | 18-200 VR AF-S.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Not that the Russians have to worry about it for another 5 or more years.
아직도 숨어있다

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

What a needlessly sensationalised title.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

Wissam24 wrote:What a needlessly sensationalised title.

No capital letters and no punctuation either. 0/10, see me.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Sensationalist......but true. :biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

Brevet Cable wrote:Sensationalist......but true. :biggrin:

Sam and Brevet I agree - straight out of the Daily Wail. Although they at least normally get their punctuation correct. ;-)
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

JetA1

Post by JetA1 »

The RAF cancelled training flights over the North Sea last week as they knew they were sitting listening.

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

so much for our hunter killer sub force. . . Astutes and trafalgar classes ?

T_J

Post by T_J »

Vodka wrote:so much for our hunter killer sub force. . . Astutes and trafalgar classes ?

How do you know that Royal Navy subs are not trailing and monitoring the Russian sub?

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

And all in intermational waters................

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

T'was ever thus......they send aircraft/ships/subs to snoop on our stuff & conduct ELINT/SIGINT during our exercises , we do the same to them.
아직도 숨어있다

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

craig.mason wrote:This has come back to bite the Tories remember when they scrapped all our Nimrod aircraft

It was Labour that decided to update the Nimrods which was disastrous for numerous technical reasons. The Tories were right to have cancelled the Nimrod update, but they were wrong not to have immediately ordered a new fleet of maritime patrol aircraft which they appear at long last about to do.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Mul

Post by Mul »

AlexC wrote:
craig.mason wrote:This has come back to bite the Tories remember when they scrapped all our Nimrod aircraft

It was Labour that decided to update the Nimrods which was disastrous for numerous technical reasons. The Tories were right to have cancelled the Nimrod update, but they were wrong not to have immediately ordered a new fleet of maritime patrol aircraft which they appear at long last about to do.

I'm not sure you are being serious AlexC, I can't comment as to the problems with wanting to update the Nimrods but do you seriously think it was a good idea to have no wartime aircraft in a nation that is surrounded by water? and also claims sovereignty over another island a few thousand miles away particularly close to a certain south american country?

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

AlexC wrote:

The contract to update the MR2s into Nimrod 2000 or MRA4 was awarded in December 1996. I can't remember who was in power at the time.....

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

December 1996 would have been the Consevatives ( John Major ) , with Labour taking over in May 1997.
아직도 숨어있다

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Really! Who'd have thought eh?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

:biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Brevet Cable wrote:December 1996 would have been the Conservatives ( John Major ) , with Labour taking over in May 1997.

I wouldn't have thought that much work on the project would have been completed between December 1996 and May 1997, therefore I'd say that Labour was responsible for at least 99% of the cock-up!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Mul wrote:I can't comment as to the problems with wanting to update the Nimrods but do you seriously think it was a good idea to have no wartime aircraft in a nation that is surrounded by water?

I assume that you meant to say 'maritime aircraft'?, and if so then no, I certainly don't think it was good idea!

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

I think that the scrapping of the Nimrods was probably the best idea ever made by any government, they were originally built at Woodford with wooden jigs which changed shape depending on the moisture in the atmosphere. They were a mess when they were originally delivered to the RAF and were in a much bigger mess when they were delivered back at enormous expense to be re-created into the joke that was the MRA4.

Mul

Post by Mul »

AlexC wrote:
Mul wrote:I can't comment as to the problems with wanting to update the Nimrods but do you seriously think it was a good idea to have no wartime aircraft in a nation that is surrounded by water?

I assume that you meant to say 'maritime aircraft'?, and if so then no, I certainly don't think it was good idea!

Yeah I did sorry, poor mistake. Why do you think it wasn't a good idea?