RAF Marham Enthusiasts Day/ Night shoot

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
138EAW

RAF Marham Enthusiasts Day/ Night shoot

Post by 138EAW »

Just a heads up a RAF Marham Enthusiasts Day/ Night shoot has been announced, it's being held in May. Same as the Coningsby shoot it will be a first come first serve application. I'm guessing the poor persons email inbox has just gone into melt down

After attending the II(AC) Sqn centenary Enthusiasts day they know how to do it right :rock:

Gary

Slappywag

Re: RAF Marham Enthusiasts Day/ Night shoot

Post by Slappywag »

£50. Five-zero.

You could get most of the way to the Tiger Meet for that price.

tommercer
UKAR Supporter

Post by tommercer »

Slappywag wrote:£50. Five-zero.

You could get most of the way to the Tiger Meet for that price.

Sadly, it will sell out at that price.

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

Why 'sadly'?

Where do the proceeds / profits from this event go?

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Money is meant to be going to help fund Marham Families Day. Or that was the plan when the RAES branch I belong to were told about it back in Feb

I'm sure the following is enough to make some people pay the £50

Imagine from https://mobile.twitter.com/rafmarhammedia
Gary

CameronSys

Post by CameronSys »

Sounds like a great event to me, even if a bit pricey. Given the uncertainty regarding the Granby Tonka, maybe worth applying!

chipmunk22

Post by chipmunk22 »

Would gladly pay £50 -- Plus for the privilege,yes that is a five followed by a zero .
Unfortunately,even if I could find the link,I could not attend,as I will be at NTM.
Great value,please try to arrange the next one so it doesn`t clash :clap:

iaint
UKAR Staff

Post by iaint »

Wildly overpriced and a sign of the times that organisers can charge (in my opinion for what you get) silly amounts and people part with their money so easily...
Pay less and get into RIAT for the day; £46 (when I last looked) got you return flights to Zaragoza for NTM; both will guaranteed to be offering a better line up, photo opportunity and for me most importantly variety and quantity of participants.
I suppose long gone are the Enthusiast days like Coningsby used to offer - £15 for a ticket allowing a couple of hundred (?) people on base the day before the families day and you got a modest lineup and maybe some arrivals, that was only 4 years ago, now you need to pay upwards of £40 or £50 and you don't even get day time access, it's twilight or nightshoot nonsense! :surrender:

Bring back daytime photocalls!!!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iainthomson84/

End of Message, End of Broadcast

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

And it would still be too expensive for some if it was free.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

I suppose when 'organisers' see people paying thousands for their camera equipment and all the associated costs of attending airshows throughout the summer, it might give them the idea that their 'customers' ( especially those interested in these niche photography events ), have the ability to splash the cash!

nellis6

Post by nellis6 »

iaint wrote:Wildly overpriced and a sign of the times that organisers can charge (in my opinion for what you get) silly amounts and people part with their money so easily...
Pay less and get into RIAT for the day; £46 (when I last looked) got you return flights to Zaragoza for NTM; both will guaranteed to be offering a better line up, photo opportunity and for me most importantly variety and quantity of participants.
I suppose long gone are the Enthusiast days like Coningsby used to offer - £15 for a ticket allowing a couple of hundred (?) people on base the day before the families day and you got a modest lineup and maybe some arrivals, that was only 4 years ago, now you need to pay upwards of £40 or £50 and you don't even get day time access, it's twilight or nightshoot nonsense! :surrender:

Bring back daytime photocalls!!!!

I agree, £50 is a ridiculous amount of money and I find it quite ironic that people seem to consider it good value and yet so many complain about the cost of RIAT tickets, albeit not necessarily the same people.
Mike Green
Editor, Jetwash Aviation Photos
http://www.jetwashaviationphotos.com

Beefy

Post by Beefy »

138EAW wrote:Money is meant to be going to help fund Marham Families Day. Or that was the plan when the RAES branch I belong to were told about it back in Feb

I'm sure the following is enough to make some people pay the £50

Imagine from https://mobile.twitter.com/rafmarhammedia

Yes a minority will pay that amount all too easily, which is why organisers can charge what they like, it's a ridiculous sum of money for what you will be getting. By the way the scheme on the 'Granby' jet is not authentic (it would need to have a black nose-cone, not grey!) and this jet didn't even take part in the campaign :wall:

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Beefy

Do you know what you will getting from one poster? If your that psychic can you tell me the lottery number or the winner of The National :grin: I'll run out and put a bet on :tongue: It isn't just a night shoot, if the plans are the same as we were told back in Feb. It will be a afternoon and evening shoot, with Tornados in various loadouts (Herrick / Shader etc), visiting aircraft also mentioned. Station flying might / should be happening and there was planned access to the hot pits

As from the none authentic Granby jet :surrender: If you hadn't noticed, most or all recent Tornado specials have been on GR4Ts or non deployable jets like 41(R) TES. Not sure how many GR1Ts deployed in 1990/1991. From what has been said, they tried getting a black nose but there was a problem. The combat jets are needed for other things, therefore they couldn't put a full special on one. Remember the size of the TGRF is shrinking on a weekly basis. (active fleet could be as low as 60 airframes). Yet they are still expected to do the same as they've always done

The RAeS branch I belong to has a good relationship with Marham and we have been asking for a station photo call since at least 2011 but demand on the station with Ops Herrick, Ellamy and Shader has been too great. Especially since Marham became the main strike base and the squadrons are on ops every 8 months.

So personally i'm happy the photo shoot is finally happening, no one is forcing you to go or pay
Gary

viper28

Post by viper28 »

well said Gary :clap:

No one is forcing anyone to go. The station wanted to make a certain amount of money from the event and combine that with the limited number of people you get the £50 price. If that's too much for you, don't go, do the usual and watch the jets from the fence as they go by. Probably irrelevant by now anyway as I suspect the slots have all been taken.

BTW, how much are the CBY and Northolt night shoots? This will be night and day and the station will be operational during it.
Cheers Simon

You can't beat a good Canon shot

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Having attended the Coninsby night shoot recently, I have to say that the access ( mostly completely unfettered) ,the ability to get real close to working airframes, and to shoot the angles you want without barriers was fantastic.

Ok I've missed booking for Marham, but would I pay £50 for a ticket to go to to have the same access for 'tornado town' in the twighlight of the GR4's career?

Damn right!

I'm gutted I've missed out on a ticket.

Surprised Lossiemouth hasn't organised anything for the JW birds too.
Got to love Russianhardware

Beefy

Post by Beefy »

138EAW wrote:Beefy

Do you know what you will getting from one poster?

If you could write a full sentence in English then I may be able to understand what you are actually talking about :lol:

viper28 wrote:well said Gary :clap:

No one is forcing anyone to go.

An I'm not going and not even interested in going Doh! :wall:

Here's the list of aircraft due to participate at the NTM this year just to put this in to some kind of perspective as to how much you are being ripped off by attending this event and if you're happy to pay it then more fool you!

Ala 15 (SpAF) EF-18+ Hormet (6x)
142 Esc (SpAF) EF2000 Typhoon (6x)
31 smd (BAF) F-16A/B MLU Fighting Falcon (8x)
TaktLwG 74 (GAF) EF2000 Typhoon (8x)
1 Lt (SvkAF) MiG-29 Fulcrum (3x)
11F (FN) Rafale M (6x)
ECE 5/330 (FAF) Mirage 2000 (3x)
335 Mira (HAF) F-16C/D Block 52+ Fighting Falcon (4x)
313 sqn (RNLAF) F-16A/B MLU Fighting Falcon (3x)
59/1 Sqn (HuAF) JAS-39C/D Gripen (4x)
338 Skv (RNoAF) F-16A/B MLU Fighting Falcon (8x)
1 AEW&CS (NATO) E-3A Sentry (2x)
6 ELT (PolAF) F-16C/D Block 52 Fighting Falcon (6x)
211 TL (CzAF) JAS-39C/D Gripen (4x)
221 LtBVr (CzAF) Mi-24 Hind (2x)
221 LtBVr (CzAF) Mi-17 Hip (1x)
Staffel 11 (ChAF) F/A-18C/D Hornet (6x)
192 Filo (TuAF) F-16C/D Block 50 Fighting Falcon (5x)
230 Sqn (RAF) Puma HC.2 (2x)

GFD (CIVIL) Learjet (1x)
4F (FN) E-2CHawkeye (1x)
3 RHC (ALAT) SA 342 M Gazelle (2x)
334 Sqn (RNLAF) KDC-10 (1x)

Beefy

Post by Beefy »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Having attended the Coninsby night shoot recently, I have to say that the access ( mostly completely unfettered) ,the ability to get real close to working airframes, and to shoot the angles you want without barriers was fantastic.

Ok I've missed booking for Marham, but would I pay £50 for a ticket to go to to have the same access for 'tornado town' in the twighlight of the GR4's career?

Damn right!

Having photographed the Tornado fleet over the years when they wore proper camo, and in proper squadron markings (on base and off base, during operational days and at night :wave:) rather than in the crappy grey they are painted these days then this event is a complete non starter.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Beefy wrote:
HeyfordDave111 wrote:Having attended the Coninsby night shoot recently, I have to say that the access ( mostly completely unfettered) ,the ability to get real close to working airframes, and to shoot the angles you want without barriers was fantastic.

Damn right!

Having photographed the Tornado fleet over the years when they wore proper camo, and in proper squadron markings (on base and off base, during operational days and at night :wave:) rather than in the crappy grey they are painted these days then this event is a complete non starter.

Can't disagree with most of what you put, but to late starters like myself to 'reasonable' photography, then it's a must do I'm afraid, grey or not.
Got to love Russianhardware

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

It's all down to supply and demand (or vice versa).

With the easy of photography in the digital age lots of very average photographers have realised that with a reasonably priced bit of gear plus a tripod and a well lit aircraft after dark these sort of photos are quite easy to produce and as such they can get an ego boost. As a result various organisations have realised that they can charge a fairly high price (and who can blame them) for people to line up their tripods in a row and snap away. Granted one or two will have that extra bit of skill to produce something slightly out of the ordinary but when it's so staged managed and presented on a plate that (for me at least, and feel free to disagree) it takes away much of the skill of photography.

Folks will continue to pay the premiums so they can fill their memory cards with these photos but after a while seeing so many from the same photoshoot does become boring, I would far rather see a really well produced photo of a fast moving aircraft in the mach loop where the photographer had a split second to get it right rather than these that involve ages of preparation and probably lots of practice / failed shots before he got 'the one' whereas that person on the hillside had to be sure he had the set up and the complete composition all correct with no second chance - that for me is skillful photography and I wish at times I could master it.

Good luck to the organisers of these events they spotted a market (or the early ones did and others have followed) and are now reaping rewards from their efforts - and they prepare the set ups of the aircraft which they have to get right to ensure they don't get a right slating from some of you so fair play to them for doing so and setting the event prices at a level that which they know they will sell out, straight forward business (or charity) sense.

And of course with fast jets to photograph this time, we won't see those full disc prop blurs which have become so popular at these night shoots ever since some person or other a few years ago realised that they courted admiration.
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

To help fund the Families Day! Not for charity then. Asking the public to pay, to see public property, so the users can fund a non public event for themselves.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

toom317 wrote:To help fund the Families Day! Not for charity then. Asking the public to pay, to see public property, so the users can fund a non public event for themselves.

Personally they could have said it was for someone friends cat I would still pay £50 for the opportunity
Lets be honest,the people who want to go are not doing it to donate £50.
They are doing it to get on Marham and get an opportunity to see the aircraft from inside the wire/rubbish fence :biggrin:
Appreciate some people will think it's a mickey take but hey,Don't go.

Mark.
Last edited by blackcat on Sat 09 Apr 2016, 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

I won't be going. I don't like night shoots anyway. Most of the pics I've seen from these type of event look artificial and stage managed to me. It's the fact they are using the taxpayers equipment as a means to raise money from the public to fund a non public event.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Beefy wrote:Here's the list of aircraft due to participate at the NTM this year just to put this in to some kind of perspective as to how much you are being ripped off by attending this event and if you're happy to pay it then more fool you!

So you've got a flight/hotel/meals/car hire etc for £50 then? That's good. :clap:

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

blackcat wrote:Personally they could have said it was for someone friends cat I would still pay £50 for the opertunity.
They are doing it to get on Marham and get an opertunity to see the aircraft from inside the wire/rubbish fence :biggrin:

Mark.

some will probably take the opportunity as well
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

blackcat

Post by blackcat »

andygolfer wrote:
blackcat wrote:Personally they could have said it was for someone friends cat I would still pay £50 for the opertunity.
They are doing it to get on Marham and get an opertunity to see the aircraft from inside the wire/rubbish fence :biggrin:

Mark.

some will probably take the opportunity as well

Spelling policeman Alert.!!!!! :clap: