Canberra WK163 to be restored to flight

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
benben

Re: Canberra WK163 to be restored to flight

Post by benben »

Midair are still looking for a buyer for XH134 by the look of it.

http://www.avbuyer.com/aircraft-for-sal ... r9/291020#

nighthawk999

Post by nighthawk999 »

Let us all hope that the mood is as jovial in 100+ pages time :clown:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Yet another potentially silly question from me....
Looking at the 2 Canberras on G-INFO....
WK163 ( G-BVWC ) is listed as having Avon Mk.109 engines ; XH134 ( G-OMHD ) as having Avon Mk.206 engines.
Given that VTST said they have 6 spare engines for '163 , could the availability of each type of engine ( in suitable condition & with the correct paperwork ) be one of the factors why they opted for WK163 , or is there still a ready supply of Mk.206 engines out there as well ?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

AFAIK engines have been the reason WK163 was grounded in the first place. They couldn't find any that had a paperwork trail to satisfy the CAA. :dunno:

I'm sure the PR9 would have had spares, as it was retired from service much more recently than WK163.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Re: Vulcan XH558: The Next Chapter

Post by Domvickery »

WG655 wrote:
Thumper wrote:Speaking of Canberra's, I wonder what's happening to the airworthy XH134 which did not sell at Bonhams :dunno:

This, this, this. :clap:

Suspect, if proven correct, the VTST argument will be the airframe's provenance - but surely XH134 has a pretty good provenance also, being the last RAF display aircraft (a la '558) as well as the last variant in service.

Ludicrous decision making, surely it'd be better to keep XH134 airworthy and have WK163 as a static/much longer term restoration project? :hide:

The begging bowl will be easier to wave for this 'we need £XXXX to save the worlds most famous record breaking Canberra from being consigned to history and the scrap mans axe' :sleepy:
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

WG655 wrote:
Gregg wrote:The one they've bought is a twin stick. No such crew conversion issues.

Happy to be corrected, but I don't believe that's the case...

http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=196546579

That's one of the main reasons we given last time we were briefed.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:I fear whatever VTTS plans are for WK163, the current climate of hysteria around classic jets will make it unviable. The way the CAA are behaving, it's one thing to restore it, quite another to allowed to, or afford to, fly it.

WK163's a lovely aeroplane, but I fear legislation and the post-Andy Hill climate will scupper VTTS.

For once I totally agree. The days of vintage jets are all but over.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Presumably the 200-series engines can't be retro-fitted ( being larger than the 100-series )
I assume they also can't use the ubiquitous MK 122 engines ( as used on Hunters ) , nor could they use any of the foreign-manufactured engines.

Which begs the question , where did the six MK 109 ( presumably ) engines come from ?
아직도 숨어있다

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

Looks like CWJ Open Days at Brunty are the only future for vintage jets in this country.

Does anyone happen to know what the purchase price for WK163 is?

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

I thought Air Atlantique had secured some from the US.

I seem to recall, that the first one was damaged in transit, but they were able to get some more. The restoration had started the other year and it was stripped down, however it was abandoned and put back together again until such a time funds became available.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

:clap: Great news.

As someone local-ish to Coventry it's a shame they are going to take it to Coningsby but needs must I guess.

Was hoping for a sneaky mention of the Shack and Nimrod in the local news story just on Midlands Today but they managed to keep them out shot the whole time!

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

FGR2 wrote:I thought Air Atlantique had secured some from the US.

I seem to recall, that the first one was damaged in transit, but they were able to get some more. The restoration had started the other year and it was stripped down, however it was abandoned and put back together again until such a time funds became available.

Yes, believe the planned rebuild was scrubbed when they moved down to Cornwall although WK163 never went with them!
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

IP1960 wrote:it's a shame they are going to take it to Coningsby but needs must I guess.
Doncaster
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Doncaster yes! In my mind I was typing Finningley! :oops:

globemaster50

Post by globemaster50 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:I fear whatever VTTS plans are for WK163, the current climate of hysteria around classic jets will make it unviable. The way the CAA are behaving, it's one thing to restore it, quite another to allowed to, or afford to, fly it.

WK163's a lovely aeroplane, but I fear legislation and the post-Andy Hill climate will scupper VTTS.

Completely agree with this.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

FGR2 wrote:I thought Air Atlantique had secured some from the US.

From what I understand, two of the engines have been fully rebuilt and inhibited at Coventry and are virtually ready to go when needed. :up:

Thumper
UKAR Supporter

Post by Thumper »

From the Bonhams listing for XH134;

STBD ENG
AVON 20601
S/N: 8302/A658359
TSO: 234.20
TBO: 1400HRS LIFE REMAINING 1165.40

PORT ENG
AVON 20601
S/N: 8336
TSO: 574.15
TBO: 1400HRS LIFE REMAINING 825.45

It was also advertised as "needing a revalidation service and some other detailed works". The auction did not mention any spares.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/23589/lot/99/

With VTTS estimating that the intial expenditure will be £100,000 for purchase, spares, investigations, dismantling, transport and re-assembly, I wonder how that would add up compared to XH134 which would undoubtedly be ready to go in a very short space of time. As I mentioned earlier though, I guess XH134 does not come on a take away now, maybe pay later basis.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

XH134 is, despite claims otherwise, a single stick so crew training and conversion wouldn't be possible. That's the main reason it wasn't purchased. Pointless buying and returning to flight an aircraft you can't fly.

craig.mason

Post by craig.mason »

Found this film of WK163
https://youtu.be/kMzk8nLhkX4
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Gregg wrote:XH134 is, despite claims otherwise, a single stick so crew training and conversion wouldn't be possible. That's the main reason it wasn't purchased. Pointless buying and returning to flight an aircraft you can't fly.

Yes, but there are other pilots out there who have been flying it. Do the aircraft have to be piloted by Martin Withers and Co? Also, according to the new regs, they would need 500 hours of flying time before they could display it.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

They may not wish to fly it, you need more than one pilot. Who knows. Point being is that single stick wasn't suitable. They'll be other factors involved too.

canberra.sig

Post by canberra.sig »

The AVON 109's for WK163 were obtained via the USA and are ex RAAF Canberra engines I supplied some engine logs for some of the engine. They have been fully serviced and properly inhibited. As for pilots, in an ideal world the availability of a T.4 would be good, but any experienced multi engine pilot should find the Canberra quite straightforward to fly, I don't know for sure but I suspect Martin Withers would have had Canberra time, I know Bob Tuxford has, there has to be many more out there with Canberra experience, so there are people out there who know how to fly a Canberra.
The only real vice the Canberra has is her single engine handling qualities, although the RAF placed a lot of importance on practising single engine handling in the Canberra silabus, the RAAF dropped it as they were finding they were losing more crew practising the loss of an engine than they were in actual engine out events. If the crew are competent and stick to the pilots notes everything should be fine. As for the PR.9, I don't know, but I suspect XH135 is/was not available as they are negotiating with someone regards her future.

John

(IPMS UK Canberra SIG)

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

now on the BBC website, the VTST publicity team swinging into action:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36352330

andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Story was originally published on the BBC website last Thursday : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36335556
아직도 숨어있다

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Hopefully they won't use the same lot that were on CH5's Monster Moves, dismantling and transporting the prototype Canberra from Coventry to Newquay.
That was painful to watch.......... :oops: