RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Post Reply
User avatar
craig.mason
Posts: 1141
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 9:47 am
Location: dronfield derbyshire

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by craig.mason »

What's the difference between the CAA rules and the MAA rules???
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

PeterR
Posts: 4705
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 12:43 pm

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by PeterR »

Any flying display held over MoD land is controlled by the Military Aviation Authority. So obviously the military orgainsed shows (RAF Cosford, RNAS Culdrose & RNAS Yeovilton) but also civilian organised events on MOD sites such as RIAT and Abingdon Air & Country Show. So the show at RAF Scampton would be run on MAA regulations.

The MAA Regulatory Articles are all available in the public domain if you're particularly interested in the minor details...

BossMann
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue 30 Dec 2008, 6:21 pm

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by BossMann »

Thanks to Andy from the FRIAT FORUM for the update on the planned airshow at RAF Scampton in 2017


boff180 wrote:

We had a very short brief on Scampton, update is as follows.

1. This will not be a "RIAT North" or "Waddington moved to Scampton" but a unique new event and will not be aligned with RIAT itself.
2. It is not yet decided whether it will be a one or two day event.
3. It is hoped the first event will be in September next year.

Hope that helps :-)

Andy



I wonder what the RAF Scampton format will be if its not a "RIAT North" or a "Waddington moved to Scampton"?
However based on the comments about the RAFCTE being a charity and having to pay for civilian displays versus military ones being free I hope that it will be a more military show whatever the 'new format'

User avatar
MRTT
Posts: 3198
Joined: Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:40 pm
Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire
Contact:

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by MRTT »

Looking forward to the show, has a lot of potential!
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

BossMann
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue 30 Dec 2008, 6:21 pm

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by BossMann »

Interview by Andy Armstrong with BBC Radio Lincolnshire regarding the new show at RAF Scampton, I think it is from a few months ago but interesting to hear what he says:

https://audioboom.com/boos/4202054-raf- ... or-airshow

Nice that he said he would like it over 2 days, inviting foreign participation as well as UK military assets and Civilian displays and there will be a static display too. Plus a RIAT style 'techno zone'

Name is yet undecided...

It all sounds great for the new show.. good luck DBH

User avatar
MRTT
Posts: 3198
Joined: Sun 30 Jun 2013, 9:40 pm
Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire
Contact:

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by MRTT »

Sounds like it should be good, looks like I've chosen the right time to relocate to Lincs!
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

RIAT Air Ops
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri 19 Dec 2008, 2:00 pm

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

BossMann wrote:Thanks to Andy from the FRIAT FORUM for the update on the planned airshow at RAF Scampton in 2017


boff180 wrote:

We had a very short brief on Scampton, update is as follows.

1. This will not be a "RIAT North" or "Waddington moved to Scampton" but a unique new event and will not be aligned with RIAT itself.
2. It is not yet decided whether it will be a one or two day event.
3. It is hoped the first event will be in September next year.

Hope that helps :-)

Andy



I wonder what the RAF Scampton format will be if its not a "RIAT North" or a "Waddington moved to Scampton"?
However based on the comments about the RAFCTE being a charity and having to pay for civilian displays versus military ones being free I hope that it will be a more military show whatever the 'new format'


Just to correct this perception, ALL UK military items whether flying or static displays are paid for by the event organisers who are also required to accommodate the crews for each aircraft.

Tom

User avatar
craig.mason
Posts: 1141
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 9:47 am
Location: dronfield derbyshire

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by craig.mason »

From what i understand the aircrew were housed at lincoln university halls of residense during waddington airshow but as scampton is in september when kids are back at university not sure were they will stay
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

PeterR
Posts: 4705
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 12:43 pm

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by PeterR »

craig.mason wrote:From what i understand the aircrew were housed at lincoln university halls of residense during waddington airshow but as scampton is in september when kids are back at university not sure were they will stay


If it's on the first weekend of September they could still use university halls as traditional most Freshers Weeks begin on the 3rd weekend in September.

BossMann
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue 30 Dec 2008, 6:21 pm

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by BossMann »

At the FRIAT forum did they mention which weekend in September they may go for?

1st weekend : Clash with Czech Air Fest (annual) and zeltweg, payerne and rivolto whenever they happen
2nd weekend : clash with Sanicole (annual)
3rd weekend : clash with NATO days Ostrava

Looks like no matter what DBH do they will clash with a European event...

And I apologise for the confusion - I meant to say that the foreign military display assets are free so hopefully DBH will concentrate on those to maximise their profits for charity whereas the uk civilian displays and uk military displays will cost them money.

User avatar
n0143773
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri 23 May 2014, 6:50 am

Re: RAF Scampton air show?

Post by n0143773 »

CJS wrote:
n0143773 wrote:It will never happen. Fact. Just like the time I told you all waddington wasn't coming back. This is the same level of fact.


I love facts like this, they're the best kind :wink:

S/he has gone a little bit quiet haven't they? No doubt they'll pop up soon enough with a most magnanimous :pinkwafer: for us :whistle:

Wissam24 wrote:Superb news for many different reasons. :clap: :clap:

Now, fellas...don't be too smug


Please?


Oh I haven't gone anywhere sunny jim. I stand by what I said. You think those bunch of muppets at DBH really think they know what's going on? No airshow in 2017. Nothing's changed. As you were people.

User avatar
Pringles
Posts: 1742
Joined: Fri 25 Apr 2014, 11:15 am

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by Pringles »

What with the Cosford being so dull recently I've definitely missed this :biggrin:


:tongue2:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7185
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: RAF Scampton air show?

Post by CJS »

n0143773 wrote:
CJS wrote:
n0143773 wrote:It will never happen. Fact. Just like the time I told you all waddington wasn't coming back. This is the same level of fact.


I love facts like this, they're the best kind :wink:

S/he has gone a little bit quiet haven't they? No doubt they'll pop up soon enough with a most magnanimous :pinkwafer: for us :whistle:

Wissam24 wrote:Superb news for many different reasons. :clap: :clap:

Now, fellas...don't be too smug


Please?


Oh I haven't gone anywhere sunny jim. I stand by what I said. You think those bunch of muppets at DBH really think they know what's going on? No airshow in 2017. Nothing's changed. As you were people.


It's not Jim, it's Chris (and it could never be jim by the way). Great to see the tongue in cheek self deprecating humour continues into another thread. ;-)
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

XX752
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed 10 Jun 2009, 5:18 pm

Re: RAF Scampton air show?

Post by XX752 »

n0143773 wrote:
CJS wrote:
n0143773 wrote:It will never happen. Fact. Just like the time I told you all waddington wasn't coming back. This is the same level of fact.


I love facts like this, they're the best kind :wink:

S/he has gone a little bit quiet haven't they? No doubt they'll pop up soon enough with a most magnanimous :pinkwafer: for us :whistle:

Wissam24 wrote:Superb news for many different reasons. :clap: :clap:

Now, fellas...don't be too smug


Please?


Oh I haven't gone anywhere sunny jim. I stand by what I said. You think those bunch of muppets at DBH really think they know what's going on? No airshow in 2017. Nothing's changed. As you were people.


That appears to be a view NOT supported at so many levels including the RAF / MOD and local councils......

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7185
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by CJS »

I wonder why...
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

RIAT Air Ops
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri 19 Dec 2008, 2:00 pm

Re: RAF Scampton air show?

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

n0143773 wrote:
CJS wrote:
n0143773 wrote:It will never happen. Fact. Just like the time I told you all waddington wasn't coming back. This is the same level of fact.


I love facts like this, they're the best kind :wink:

S/he has gone a little bit quiet haven't they? No doubt they'll pop up soon enough with a most magnanimous :pinkwafer: for us :whistle:

Wissam24 wrote:Superb news for many different reasons. :clap: :clap:

Now, fellas...don't be too smug


Please?


Oh I haven't gone anywhere sunny jim. I stand by what I said. You think those bunch of muppets at DBH really think they know what's going on? No airshow in 2017. Nothing's changed. As you were people.


Classy, I have such admiration for your tact and thoughtful words.

User avatar
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon 21 Sep 2009, 9:29 pm

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by UK Airshow Review »

Andy Armstrong announced at a VIP event at RAF Scampton this evening that the first Scampton Airshow will "most likely" take place on the 9th-10th of September 2017.

Image

http://scamptonairshow.com/

The Scampton Airshow will be a two-day event with organisers looking at the second weekend in September, 2017, as the likely date for the first show.

The announcement by airshow organisers was made during the annual Station Commander's Reception at RAF Scampton on Thursday, May 26.

In February, the RAF Charitable Trust announced it had reached an agreement in principle with the Royal Air Force to organise an airshow at the Lincolnshire airfield. Since then, work has been taking place behind-the-scenes to build the team who'll deliver the airshow.

Andy Armstrong, Chief Executive of the new organising company, said: "An immense amount of planning has already taken place to get us to the point however we need to start engaging with the many stakeholders whose support will be essential to delivering a successful Scampton Airshow. I am very grateful to Wing Commander Joanne Campbell for giving us the opportunity to attend her reception and meet some of the people we'll no doubt be working closely with over the coming months."

Mr Armstrong confirmed that the airshow would take place over two days, with September 9-10, 2017 the most likely dates. He said: "For the purposes of planning, we are looking at staging the airshow on the second weekend in September. We now have to go out to all those people and companies we'll be relying on to ensure we have everything in place to stage an exciting and safe airshow. Once this is done, we'll confirm the dates and hopefully have tickets on sale by the end of the year."

Wg Cdr Campbell said: "We are absolutely delighted that RAF Scampton has been chosen to host the Scampton Airshow here in Lincolnshire and we are working closely with the RAF Charitable Trust to help them deliver what promises to be a fantastic two-day event."


User avatar
Wissam24
UKAR Staff
Posts: 7624
Joined: Mon 29 Apr 2013, 9:54 am
Location: London

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by Wissam24 »

Straight from the muppet's mouth.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

User avatar
Trenchard
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon 15 Sep 2008, 11:44 am

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by Trenchard »

Wissam24 wrote:Straight from the muppet's mouth.


Sorry you're wrong I don't think n0143773 ever said that :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Comet102
Posts: 798
Joined: Fri 16 Aug 2013, 9:49 pm
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by Comet102 »

Wg Cdr Campbell said: "We are absolutely delighted that RAF Scampton has been chosen to host the Scampton Airshow here in Lincolnshire and we are working closely with the RAF Charitable Trust to help them deliver what promises to be a fantastic two-day event."


Wouldn't it be a bit awkward if RAF Scampton wasn't chosen to the host the Scampton Airshow. :grin:

User avatar
Wes_Howes
Posts: 3801
Joined: Wed 03 Sep 2008, 7:39 am
Contact:

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by Wes_Howes »

Trenchard wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:Straight from the muppet's mouth.


Sorry you're wrong I don't think n0143773 ever said that :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:



n0143773 wrote:You think those bunch of muppets at DBH really think they know what's going on?


Just joining the dots for you :whistle:

User avatar
Wissam24
UKAR Staff
Posts: 7624
Joined: Mon 29 Apr 2013, 9:54 am
Location: London

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by Wissam24 »

Wes_Howes wrote:
Trenchard wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:Straight from the muppet's mouth.


Sorry you're wrong I don't think n0143773 ever said that :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:



n0143773 wrote:You think those bunch of muppets at DBH really think they know what's going on?


Just joining the dots for you :whistle:


He was saying that it was n0143773 that's the muppet really!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

User avatar
Trenchard
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon 15 Sep 2008, 11:44 am

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017

Post by Trenchard »

Wissam24 wrote:He was saying that it was n0143773 that's the muppet really!


:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

User avatar
Adie1980
Posts: 704
Joined: Fri 07 Jun 2013, 1:09 pm

Re: RAF Scampton air show?

Post by Adie1980 »

n0143773 wrote:
CJS wrote:
n0143773 wrote:It will never happen. Fact. Just like the time I told you all waddington wasn't coming back. This is the same level of fact.


I love facts like this, they're the best kind :wink:

S/he has gone a little bit quiet haven't they? No doubt they'll pop up soon enough with a most magnanimous :pinkwafer: for us :whistle:

Wissam24 wrote:Superb news for many different reasons. :clap: :clap:

Now, fellas...don't be too smug


Please?


Oh I haven't gone anywhere sunny jim. I stand by what I said. You think those bunch of muppets at DBH really think they know what's going on? No airshow in 2017. Nothing's changed. As you were people.


Oops :lol:
Attending Daks over Normandy (Duxford), Yeovilton Air Day 2019, RIAT 2019 & Bournemouth Air Festival 2019

User avatar
Spiny Norman
Posts: 2999
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 10:17 am

Re: RAF Scampton Air Show 2017?

Post by Spiny Norman »

n0143773 wrote:It will never happen. Fact. Just like the time I told you all waddington wasn't coming back. This is the same level of fact.


Well this is awkward.

Post Reply